Author Topic: Post Minimalism  (Read 7387 times)

enpower

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Post Minimalism
« on: August 02, 2014, 08:53:37 PM »
Over the past 3-6 months I've completely re-evaluated and changed my life drastically.

I've tried to follow the lifestyle of "minimalism" and have found these websites the inspiration for it:

http://www.theminimalists.com/
http://www.becomingminimalist.com/

So basically, everything I owned that I didn't feel added value to my life I sold/donated/threw away. All I have left now are my daily essentials like a bed, toothbrush, clothing to last me a little over a week, cycling and hiking gear and kitchen utensils.

So life would be great you would think? I'm not weighed down by my possessions, I have no clutter, I'm liberated, etc.

However..

I'm stuck on where to next. The advice in the blogs I've followed to get here don't offer much advice post minimalism and what to do once you have nothing left to get rid of. Most of them say they can focus on what's important in life but I don't really know what that is just yet. I have all the freedom to do anything by being not weighed down by possessions, debt, accountability, etc.

I have no idea what to do next?

Help!

YoungInvestor

• Bristles
Re: Post Minimalism
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 09:12:24 PM »
"What's important in life" is different for everyone.

Why did you try it at first? What did you want to accomplish? Why did you feel that your life needed this? Sounds like you just hopped on that train without any particular aim.

Also, are you the type of person who wants this type of lifestyle? I know I'll never go as far as many people here in the whole "mustachian" attitude, and I'm ok with that. Deep down, do you feel like you enjoy minimalism? Do you feel like you need more stuff to be happy?

This is far from a one-size fits all issue. Some people "need" luxury to feel good, others need an average standard of living and yet others are fine with the minimum. None of these is better than either of the alternatives.

Just be honest with yourself and don't base your entire life on what someone says is the best lifestyle. Fnd what is best for you based on what you can afford.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 10:11:08 PM »
One blog--I think it was Miss Minimalist, but I'm not sure--decided to have a baby after becoming minimalist. They had "never seriously considered" parenthood, but once they cleared in their clutter, they found there was "room in their lives" for a baby.

As I know nothing about your situation, I am not suggesting you necessarily procreate-just that you might look at x, y, and z things that you "never seriously considered" and see if you have/want to have room for them now. If any of that makes sense.

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 12:04:21 AM »
Congratulations.  Sounds like hiking and cycling already matter.   Do that.
For me, it's people who matter.   I read (on Flylady, I think) about a woman who died, and at her funeral,  the chuch was packed with people,  but all her worldly possessions fit in the trunk of her nephew's car.   This appeals to me because I get more joy out of people than from things (with the exception of musical instruments).
There are so many options ahead for you:  partner,  grad school,  travel,  learn a new language, take up a new sport, run for office. ...

LonerMatt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 02:57:19 AM »
A few thoughts:

- Minimalism is material, and therefore, shallow: it's about de-cluttering possessions and life for focus and increasing tiem
- Every successful minimalist has a mission, vision or long term project (gardening, writing, traveling, working out, etc)

If you don't have a meaningful long term vision, well, that's what you need to find. Minimalism isn't and end - it's a method.

With less stuff and less need for income, the idea is to focus on what you want: if you don't want anything I think there are bigger issues at play (I doubt this is true).

I find watching waves to be a very excellent way to pretend I'm getting wiser, give it a crack.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 06:57:12 AM »
You don't have to do anything. Just…breathe…be.

Enjoy your day.

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 10:20:52 AM »
Enjoy the fact that you can pick up and move at a moment's notice, and that no one will have to clean out tons of junk when you die! 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 10:44:03 AM »
If you don't have a meaningful long term vision, well, that's what you need to find. Minimalism isn't and end - it's a method.

Well said.

OP brings up an interesting question to ponder.  Thanks to those who responded, I enjoyed this thread.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 12:07:01 PM »

$_gone_amok

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 03:47:52 PM »

With less stuff and less need for income, the idea is to focus on what you want: if you don't want anything I think there are bigger issues at play (I doubt this is true).

This man knows what he is talking about.

You need to find out what matters the most for you in life first then you'll know what to do.

Peach Fuzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 04:06:20 PM »
The life list article was great. Thanks for the link.

I think that falls in line with introspection in general and trying to figure out what is important to you. Always easier said that done. I've recently started a mini-notebook with ideas/inspiration/interests/etc. Different sections- serves my random thoughts well. haha  I carry it around and add to it when I think of/ come across something I'd like to remember.

Maybe something like that is what you need. Then when you figure out things that are important to you/ where you'd like to go from here, it'll be easier to do since you're not tied down by a bunch of "stuff" anymore. Hang in there and look inward. I think the minimalist thing is a good idea. Now you just need to find what inspires you and go after it!