Author Topic: Possible new job with same pay and longer commute...  (Read 6846 times)

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
Possible new job with same pay and longer commute...
« on: January 28, 2014, 07:21:20 AM »
I have an interview this week for a new job and I hope I get it.  I need out of my toxic work environment very badly and from what I've heard about the new place, it is a wonderful work environment.  (Heard from old co-worker that moved there 2 years ago, she knows what I'm dealing with at my current job.) 

I expect the pay will be comparable to what I am currently earning, and maybe maybe a tiny bit less (since I'm up for an increase at my current job I am in hate with next month).  But the benefits are also better, more 401K match, more employer $ towards benefits, plus better work life balance.  But the commute is going to be double- I'll be looking at 20 miles instead of 10, one way, an extra 10 minutes.  The additional commuting time I'm not concerned about because the hours are less.  I'm currently working 7:30 to 4:30, and the new jobs regular hours are 8-4.  But the extra mileage is bothering me.  I figure if my cost to drive is about 35 cents/mile, 20 extra miles/day, 5 days for 48 weeks, that's just under $1,700 extra it is costing me a year.  $1,700 sucks, but I'm thinking it will be worthwhile if I'm not stressed out daily from hating my job, or working evenings and weekends from home all the time because the workload is insane.

Any thoughts?  Do you think this is a no-go due to the commute?  Or small beans for the better quality of life?

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
Re: Possible new job with same pay and longer commute...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 07:29:49 AM »
I personally would be fine with that commute if the work environment was better and the pay was roughly the same. If they offer shorter working hours and better benefits, then it should equal out or even be a bit better just looking at raw numbers, but the environment is a bigger factor as working someplace you hate can cost you a heavy emotional toll.

And if you really like the place, there is nothing saying that you couldn't move closer in a year or so.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 07:32:47 AM »
personally, I would do it in a heartbeat. and I HATE commuting (one of my favorite about my life right now is that I live a mile from work)... but at least on the surface, it sounds like it would be worth it for you! also what Frankies Girl said... could you move eventually?

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 07:35:07 AM »
A toxic job will kill you faster than a long commute. Given the information you provided I would go with the new job.

Mori

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 07:54:55 AM »
You could also carpool at the new job in various ways (meet up and commute, pick up and commute), which would cut down on the wear and tear on your car, if not the time.

Personally, if I'm not happy at work, it starts to affect everything I do (the poison spreads). I'd change jobs.

iwasjustwondering

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 08:14:43 AM »
Oh, go for the new job.  You can't stay in a job you hate.  The better hours will make your life a lot happier right away, IMO.  How much better are the 401K benefits? 

Try to get the new job, and in a few months you can figure out what to do about the commute.  You never know what might open up.  You might want to move closer to work, etc.

I had a 45-minute commute each way for years.  Just when I was at my breaking point and considering moving to the town where I work (a town I really hate -- it's strip mall city), the company announced they were relocating to within five miles of my house.  Just move toward what you love in life, and keep making adjustments to make things better.  You'll be fine.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 08:28:39 AM »
Thanks all.  I'm surprised and relieved to hear a resounding "take the new job."  I really hope the interview goes well and I get it!

There is a small possibility that we would move closer in the future.  We really like where we live now, in a very cool little town, but we want some land to homestead, and that would mean moving out of town, and possibly in the direction that would make for a shorter commute.

In terms of benefits, the max employer contribution at my current job is 2.5%, and the max at the new job is 7%.  I know the employee benefits are fully paid, but I will require family coverage, so I'll have to chip in, but I'm hoping that it ends up being less than my current required contribution.  There are 3 more paid holidays and 2 more days of PTO v. what I currently get.  And the most valuable benefit of all, I think I will be happy working there.  I think I've got about 10 years before FI, and I want to enjoy these 10 years, rather than muddle through in a haze of work-hate.

I am brainstorming other commute-cost mitigating ideas, like a partial bike commute, carpooling, or maybe a motorcycle or other high MPG mode of transportation.  We'll see.  I don't want to get to far ahead of myself.  Step 1, get the job!

SunshineGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 08:53:48 AM »
Yeah, get the job! It sounds great to me.

cynthia1848

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 08:55:39 AM »
Good luck on the new job!  I would take it in a heartbeat, you will make up the extra 20 minutes in commuting time with the shorter work hours.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 07:31:31 PM »
Is there any option to work from home or have a flexible working schedule (like 4 longer days/wk).  That could offset some of the increased cost. 
I hear you about the toxic work environment - good luck on your interview and hope you get the new job!

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 07:50:37 PM »
You should definitely take the job if offered.  A longer commute is well worth your mental health.  Plus it sounds like the benefits would make up the difference. Good luck-I hope you get it!

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 08:27:32 AM »
I know this is super old, but I just wanted to follow up and inform everyone that chimed in that I've been in the new job for about 7 months now and I am SO GLAD I took it.  The commute is nothing compared to my new found freedom of a job I really like.  Still aiming for FI, but it's more about going towards something than away from something now, which feels great.

retired?

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 08:37:28 AM »
Go for it!  The extra 1700 sucks, but only 10 minutes more is nothing.  I usually think of taking new jobs in 2-3 year chunks.  i.e. whatever is negative, can I put up with it for that length......since I have usually changed jobs in that interval.

juuustin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 08:39:10 AM »
Congrats on the new job! I was drawn to this thread because I have almost the polar opposite situation coming up soon.  I took a job that starts in January that will potentially offer a commute that is about 90 minutes shorter round-trip, but is a pretty decent pay cut (at least for the first two years).  I say potentially because it is a job in which I would contracting on location.. the actual commute to the main office would be the exact same as my current job.

When deciding to take the new job, I reckoned that I could work a 10 hour day (will be sometimes expected at new job) and still have a shorter day than working an "8 hour day" at my current position.  I don't hate my commute (I take the commuter rail) but the time savings will be absolutely enormous, even on days that I work late.  I decided the improved commute was worth the initial pay cut.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 08:48:39 AM »
I know this is super old, but I just wanted to follow up and inform everyone that chimed in that I've been in the new job for about 7 months now and I am SO GLAD I took it.  The commute is nothing compared to my new found freedom of a job I really like.  Still aiming for FI, but it's more about going towards something than away from something now, which feels great.

yay!!! I'm so happy for you!

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 12:10:36 PM »
Congratulations!  So glad you like the new job.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 06:41:44 PM »
Congrats!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!