Author Topic: Possible new job decisions  (Read 3902 times)

radcrast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Possible new job decisions
« on: July 12, 2013, 08:19:54 AM »
Hello Mustachians! Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I have a job interview today. I don't want to count my chickens before they're hatched, but I would like to give some thought as to my options should they make me an offer. I already have a job, so I will theoretically have to make a decision between the two.

-I don't hate my current job. I'm good at it and was recently promoted/given a raise.
-I can wear whatever I want - jeans, tennis shoes, etc.
- commute is 10 miles and I could get there on the bus if necessary (not a great neighborhood though)

The negative:
- I make $14 an hour with no sick pay, no 401(k) match.
- Company insurance plan would cost about 1/5th my income, so I use 3rd party, high-deductible ins.
- Can be boring - my projects are repetitive.
- Not using my degree (design)
- Routine layoffs in the "slow season" once per year - cut 25% of staff based solely on project flow, not performance.
- High stress for pay grade

New job:
- I could make a lot more money. They haven't made an offer, but I'm guessing at least 5k more per year.
- I would be using my degree and doing creative work, meeting with clients, possibly traveling, etc.
- I am very qualified for job and have experience that would help me to be successful.
- they have paid-for health/dental - not sure about retirement.

The negative:
-Commute - for the next few months, I'd be driving 10 miles each way. But in the fall, they will be moving to a new facility 20 miles away. No chance of bus, though I would be going against traffic both ways.
- Unknown: it could be very challenging. And I feel a lot of guilt for thinking about leaving my easy job after having it only 2 years.

So, there's a lot to think about. And of course this all depends on getting an offer! Any advice would be appreciated - I'm feeling overwhelmed.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 09:40:01 AM by radcrast »

etselec

• Stubble
Re: Possible new job decidions
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 08:47:17 AM »
The new job would almost certainly be better for your financial situation (better pay, better health insurance) and for your career (using your degree, doing something more challenging). I would not feel at all guilty about leaving your current company - you do not owe them anything, and two years is a reasonable time to stay at a job, especially early in your career. In fact, I'd push you to think positively about the potential challenges of the new job - you do not want to stay at your current job and just stagnate without developing or honing any additional skills.

The additional commute would be unfortunate, but doesn't seem like it outweighs the advantages of moving into a vastly better job situation. You could consider moving out closer to the new facility when the company moves - but given your description of the commute (against traffic) I am guessing you are in a more urban/central location right now and might not want to give that up.

If you get an offer, I would say go for it.

SunshineGirl

• Pencil Stache
Re: Possible new job decisions
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 10:14:50 AM »
You absolutely should consider/take the new job if offered.

Lans Holman

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 10:27:45 AM »
It's true at any age, but at your age and in your field I would give a lot of weight to finding work that is going to improve your skills and use your degree.  Even if the jobs paid the same I would say you could consider it an investment in yourself which is going to pay you back for the rest of your life.  I'm with etselec on you not owing your current employers anything, it doesn't sound like they show much loyalty to their employees. 

fiveoclockshadow

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 11:27:00 AM »
I agree with the others, you are young and if you get an offer on a job that better aligns with your goals and skills that is a sensible thing to take.

As to the commute, what is your living situation?  Could you move?  Not necessarily right away, but longer term if in a year your new job seems to be working out and you will be there for awhile you can relocate for a shorter commute.  You don't have to change or fix everything all at once and you don't have to budget assuming things stay the same forever either.

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 12:43:31 PM »
I agree with the others, you are young and if you get an offer on a job that better aligns with your goals and skills that is a sensible thing to take.

As to the commute, what is your living situation?  Could you move?  Not necessarily right away, but longer term if in a year your new job seems to be working out and you will be there for awhile you can relocate for a shorter commute.  You don't have to change or fix everything all at once and you don't have to budget assuming things stay the same forever either.

This was my thought, too.  I would absolutely take the job if offered, and if you're happy there and it seems like a long-term place for you, I would move if possible. 

Good luck!  I hope you get an offer!