Author Topic: Possible identity theft? What the crap do I do?  (Read 2751 times)

drp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Possible identity theft? What the crap do I do?
« on: October 24, 2016, 07:50:39 PM »
I decided to check my credit score via discover credit scorecard and saw - hey! I'm not doing to shabby for only starting in May!

Then i realized this can't possibly be me, since I don't have 3 accounts and I've certainly had people checking my credit in the last 12 months (to apply for the card as well as the savings program I'm in).

So, I calmly logged into that free annual credit report site and decided to get all my reports at once, to figure out what the heck is going on. Only, I couldn't answer any of the security questions (no, I didn't get a home loan in 2011 or open a store card in 2012!). And since I bombed the impossible first round of security questions, I got denied the other 2 reports as well (one didn't even ask me questions, the last, transunion, asked me more "not me" questions).

What do I do? It's too late to call anyone - and I'm kinda freaking out here. Do I freeze my accounts or is that bad? And should I be happy someone is using my credit wisely...or is this just a total mix up and not actual identity theft?

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Possible identity theft? What the crap do I do?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 08:06:55 PM »
Benefit of the doubt, maybe you misread some of those security questions: i.e. which address did you NOT live at in 2012 as opposed to which address did you live at.

Is your name similar to a family member? Maybe it's their stuff showing up on your report in error.

Aside from that, call the bureaus first thing tomorrow? Sorry you have to go through this.

Hopefully it's a parent or something that put you as an authorized user on one of their cards.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 08:13:16 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much at this point.  Have a look at any accounts (bank, cc, savings, investment) and just make sure nothing looks amiss. 

Can you use a reputable site like creditkarma.com or creditsesame.com to look into details of accounts on your report?  Some of the credit checks you may have had could have been soft pulls instead, or just didn't get reported correctly.  Additional accounts might be you as the authorized user? 

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 08:17:10 PM »

It may not be that you've been a victim, just that you bombed the test questions because they have wrong info that was either entered incorrectly into their database, or just glitched. It apparently is common for them to have questions that are incorrect, and it might just mean you have to contact them through the mail to request your credit reports.

I found this thread from a few years ago and it's the same thing - folks told they flunked the test questions online and having to go through the mail to get their reports, but everything was fine. https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120578

If it does end up that you might have been a victim, check out https://www.identitytheft.gov/
to walk you through the process and get a game plan figured out.

Locking down your accounts is easy and disputing the fraudulent charges is also just a few steps. You won't be held responsible, and it will be cleaned up in due time. They made it MUCH easier than it used to be about a decade ago...

drp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 08:21:30 PM »
Benefit of the doubt, maybe you misread some of those security questions: i.e. which address did you NOT live at in 2012 as opposed to which address did you live at.

Is your name similar to a family member? Maybe it's their stuff showing up on your report in error.

Aside from that, call the bureaus first thing tomorrow? Sorry you have to go through this.

Hopefully it's a parent or something that put you as an authorized user on one of their cards.

I definitely didn't misread - they were questions about a mortgage loan I've taken out, then the cost per month of that loan, then a store card that I opened in 2012. I've been credit-less for 8 years until earlier this year.

We are currently checking DH's reports, and oddly, they had nearly identical questions (the three I mentioned above). We could both only answer the last question, which really was about us. They did let us into his reports for some reason, which I find odd, but am thankful for. We're presently snooping.

A few weird things on the first, namely A LOT of credit inquiries (that didn't "ding" our credit) from companies that shouldn't be inquiring on us. Such as progressive, citi bank (never applied for either of those places) and multiple discover checks. Since I myself just signed up for that discover scorecard thing, I know they do check monthly-but there should only be one here. Mine. There are EIGHT).

No clue what's going on, but I know it's not fam. And there doesn't seem to be anything NEGATIVE going on...so weird. I wish I drank, I could use a glass of something right now.

drp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 08:24:27 PM »

It may not be that you've been a victim, just that you bombed the test questions because they have wrong info that was either entered incorrectly into their database, or just glitched. It apparently is common for them to have questions that are incorrect, and it might just mean you have to contact them through the mail to request your credit reports.

I found this thread from a few years ago and it's the same thing - folks told they flunked the test questions online and having to go through the mail to get their reports, but everything was fine. https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120578

If it does end up that you might have been a victim, check out https://www.identitytheft.gov/
to walk you through the process and get a game plan figured out.

Locking down your accounts is easy and disputing the fraudulent charges is also just a few steps. You won't be held responsible, and it will be cleaned up in due time. They made it MUCH easier than it used to be about a decade ago...

I'm hoping you're right. I'll send in mail requests tomorrow and try to take a deep breath in the meantime. Thanks!

drp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 08:50:51 PM »
I just tried to sign up for both credit karma and credit sesame. Karma says they can't find anybody that matches my profile. And sesame says I already have an account (never signed up for one), but I can't access it?

I've been at my current address for 2 years now, but tried my old address, too - no help. Bummed.

ETA: I managed to log into credit karma...under my previous last name, which hasn't been my name for years (nor the main name on my credit report. So weird). Hopefully I can straighten out this mess! Thanks for the words of encouragement all!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 08:56:32 PM by drp »