Author Topic: Possible Career change - ideas, criticism, help wanted !  (Read 2220 times)

Kevin S.

• Stubble
I'm currently a claims adjuster for automotive damage / extended warranty. I haven been in my job field for a while. My current position is as dead as a dead end job can get. I see a couple guys that have been here over 10 yrs in the same position.

I could leave and go work for another insurance company but I'm really burned out with claims / insurance.

My original field (what I went to school for) was a body tech. Sold all my tools after I started in the insurance industry close to 15 yrs ago. I won't go back to working at a body shop unless financially I have to !

I need a change of scenery !

I have a couple acquaintance's I know that work in the tech industry.  A couple recent "coding boot camp" grads who are trying to get me to join them.

Is anyone here in this field ? I consider myself a noob when it comes to a lot of real techy stuff. I do know what Linux , python is at least haha. Don't ask me how to use them though lol

I'm 35, not sure if should just ride out my already experienced career or try something completely new. School costs are also something I'm not sure I'm willing to take on. Its at least 10k for the coding school, good thing is can do it part time while still working this job most likely.

You only YOLO once ?

mozar

• Magnum Stache
Re: Possible Career change - ideas, criticism, help wanted !
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 07:21:12 PM »
There are lots of threads here about boot camp. Don't search in the forum, search in google "mrmoneymustache boot camp" for ideas about which one to go with. There are websites where you can practice coding for free to see if you like it, I don't remember what they are called, but its important to see if you have an aptitude/ actual interest before you spend money.
You can try new stuff while still working. Ideally you would slowly transition while getting your new career started, whatever it is.

I'm 35, not sure if should just ride out my already experienced career or try something completely new.

Depends how miserable you are.

freeatlast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 10:52:16 PM »
Hi kevin - 20 plus year adjuster here. Started in auto, got a J.D., moved onto environmental, EPL, D&O, E&O etc.... I hear ya on the burnout. I've stuck it out but tried to keep it fresh by changing lines of coverage. With 15 years experience, even without a J.D., you should be able to switch it up. I've done well enough in the industry to ER very soon! Good luck with your decision. I know it is a tough one and one that I have faced through the years!

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 04:34:11 AM »
I'd encourage you to look at the types of entry level jobs that are available near you in tech. Most of the entry-level jobs have gone overseas. There are still some tech support type roles here in the US, but it's not like it was 20 years ago. Where there are entry level jobs, they tend to be clustered in a handful of HCOL urban centers. Make sure there are jobs you can get if you do decide to go down the coding bootcamp path. Or be willing to move to places where they are available.

Starting out in help desk, or technical support for a larger product offering, is a route many have used to get into tech, including my BIL. Software Testing is also a low-paying role that graduates its stars into higher paying roles (although good test managers who know their business are in high demand and really hard to find). Keep in mind that tech also has its share of stress, dead end jobs, difficult people, and unreasonable demands.