Poll

How many cars do you own?

4+

Author Topic: Poll: How many cars do you own?  (Read 18726 times)

dilinger

• Bristles
Re: Poll: How many cars do you own?
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2015, 11:32:30 AM »
Here's my SUV.

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2015, 01:03:10 PM »
I own 1 - a 91 oldsmobile cutlass ciera.

But I answered 4+ because my SO has 3 running vehicles and 1 non running, plus a quad, and a myers manx.

:)

the newest one is his 96 subaru legacy.  The oldest vehicle is 53 Willys flatbed.  Plus an '82 Jeep with tires so anti-mustachian I should probably be kicked off the forum by association.

But I love him, and he also does all the maintenance on my car, so I'm not complaining.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2015, 03:53:16 PM »
I own 1 - a 91 oldsmobile cutlass ciera.

But I answered 4+ because my SO has 3 running vehicles and 1 non running, plus a quad, and a myers manx.

:)

the newest one is his 96 subaru legacy.  The oldest vehicle is 53 Willys flatbed.  Plus an '82 Jeep with tires so anti-mustachian I should probably be kicked off the forum by association.

But I love him, and he also does all the maintenance on my car, so I'm not complaining.

Hey, if we're going by ownership, I'm off the hook, too! I (think) I own the Tecel, the dually with no tags, and the flatbed trailer (which does have tags, and no, it can't substitute for the dually because a load of gravel would snap its axle). It came free with a tractor we sold ~5 years ago.

ArcadeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2015, 05:55:55 PM »
Two adults, one toddler, two cars:

2013 Volkwagen Jetta TDI, great car, but somewhat of a dumb purchase (more car than I need, bought new...dumb)
2012 Nissan Altima. Decent sedan, no issues thus far, good enough for hauling around a kid and his crap, and paid for.

My wife insists on an SUV if we have a second child, and it's a battle I won't win, so it's either trade in the Altima and get ripped off,  or try to sell it for a better price on Craigslist and waste my time dealing flaky lowballers. I was thinking of keeping the Altima and driving it till it dies, while keeping the Jetta in my garage and drive it occasionally to keep it running. Then, when the Altima is dead many years from now, I go back to using the Jetta full time. Is this a dumb idea, keeping a third car, what with still having to pay insurance and local property tax on them? I'd just hate to get ripped off on trade in.

And yes, I realize I could/should sell the Jetta, but I love the car and can't bear to take an even bigger loss on it.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2015, 07:58:07 PM »
My wife insists on an SUV if we have a second child

Sounds like you shouldn't have a second kid. :)

When I was a kid my parents took my brother and I on a trip through Nevada to the Grand Canyon and several other parks. The vehicle they choose to haul four people and enough clothes and camping supplies to last over a week? A mid-90s Subaru Legacy wagon.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 08:03:54 AM by RWD »

ArcadeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2015, 08:30:22 PM »
Nah. My son has brought me more joy than I could have ever imagined and I think second child would only increase that (difficult infant period notwithstanding.) I agree, getting an SUV is unnecessary, but this is something she is adamant about. The wife is on board with cutting way back on unnecessary spending, takeout, etc. so I'm not gonna go to war over the SUV.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2015, 08:37:04 PM »
Nah. My son has brought me more joy than I could have ever imagined and I think second child would only increase that (difficult infant period notwithstanding.) I agree, getting an SUV is unnecessary, but this is something she is adamant about. The wife is on board with cutting way back on unnecessary spending, takeout, etc. so I'm not gonna go to war over the SUV.

Understood. Maybe you could steer towards the relatively smaller SUVs, like a Subaru Forester (24/32 mpg), Honda CR-V (27/34 mpg), Toyota RAV4 (23/30 mpg), etc. [2015 model fuel economy numbers]

darkadams00

• Bristles
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2015, 08:46:12 PM »
Downsized to one car a few years ago. Bike/transit mostly now. Rent a vehicle as needed a few times per year. Annual vehicle rentals don't add up to one month of second car ownership/operating costs, so, I'm well into the plus column each year.

MoneyMike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2015, 09:56:49 PM »
1 car a trailblazer - gets horrible has mileage. It's actually posted on craigslist now and once I sell it I probably won't buy another car. I can walk to work and the grocery store and my job gets good deals on rental cars so if I ever needed to rent one it wouldn't be too expensive.

I also have a $10k motorcycle, I know I know it's not Mustacian like. For now I will sell the car and work on the motorcycle later, but I feel like I have to have motorcycle. ( I know I don't NEED one)

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2015, 10:26:49 AM »
One car for a two-adult family, a 2007 Yaris. We put right around 5,000 miles on it this past year. I strongly suspect someday we'll end up buying a different car for non-mustachian reasons like "it looks cooler" or "it's more comfortable." But I don't really see us increasing the number of cars (or the number of family members) in the future.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2015, 10:34:24 AM »
Three adults, two cars and a truck. I'm retired, DH walks to work and college student son drives to school. Newest vehicle is a 2007 and all are in good repair and long paid for. We could get rid of one, but his mom has Alz. and lives with us, so it's just easier if everyone has access to a car. We're FI, they don't cost us much, so meh.