Poll

How do you feel about your job on a scale of 1-5?

1: I hate my job.
7 (7.4%)
2: I dislike my job.
12 (12.6%)
3: My job is okay.
18 (18.9%)
4: I like my job.
45 (47.4%)
5: I love my job.
13 (13.7%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Voting closed: August 19, 2012, 09:29:48 PM

Author Topic: POLL: How do you feel about your job?  (Read 24993 times)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
POLL: How do you feel about your job?
« on: May 21, 2012, 09:29:48 PM »
The vast majority of us here are striving for financial independence, and early retirement.

That being said, most of us have jobs as our way to achieve FI. 

Simple question.  How do you feel about your job, on a scale of 1 (I hate it) to 5 (I love it)?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
Re: POLL: How do you feel about your job?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 05:03:02 AM »
I love my job. I just hate doing it.

cdttmm

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 05:28:15 AM »
I love my job(s).  But then, I work for myself and I do as little actual work as possible because I really like being semi-retired.  I'd rather spend my time studying martial arts, training for ultramarathons, reading, gardening, and hanging out with my pets.

Devils Advocate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 05:39:29 AM »
I like my job.  It provides me social interaction with a good group of people.  My part time hours probably allow me to like it rather than dislike it tho.  It can be overwhelming and quite stressful at regular full time hours.

I guess that's the main reason I am frugal.  I can't foresee me being able to go back to full time hours.  I would rather be FI and work the hours I WANT to work rather than paint myself in a corner where I NEED to work full time to pay my bills.  On the way to FI rapidly!  That is a warm a squishy feeling.

DA

Masha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 05:53:10 AM »
I like my job, but seriously struggled financially through my 20s, and after turning 30 recently, realized that I have to make some major changes to accomplish FI. The good news is that my only debt is 10K in loans, and I'm really good at living on about 2K per month...even managed to build a modest savings account.

I work in a field where career advice for graduate students often involves volunteering, and starting salaries(with a graduate degree) are not typically over 35K. I knew this when I went the "do what you love" route but I didn't realize the lifelong implications it would have to my personal/FI goals.

Considering that I've been working since I was 14, and worked through college, I am a bit burnt out on following "passion", and considering ways to make positive changes in my work situation. Seeing the range of case studies on MMM has put some of this in perspective, and its also reinforced the need for change in my career.

catalana

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 06:35:33 AM »
I work in a field where career advice for graduate students often involves volunteering, and starting salaries(with a graduate degree) are not typically over 35K. I knew this when I went the "do what you love" route but I didn't realize the lifelong implications it would have to my personal/FI goals.
This is so interesting to me because my OH went through the same thought processes before I met him - eventually electing to follow the best paid (but not his preferred) route in his field.  I often wonder whether he would have been happier following his heart, and it is interesting to see the flip side of the coin.

I voted "like" - I have days when I love my job, but they are balanced out by the odd rubbish day, so on balance it is "like".  I feel really fortunate though because it has taken me 14 working years and 6 different jobs to find this one!

2handband

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 06:52:36 AM »
Well, I voted love, but it needs qualified. I play guitar in bars and supper clubs for a living, and for most of you I suspect the income would be completely unacceptable. I've never, ever held down a regular job that I could stand. Even when I was doing something that I liked to do at home, it completely sucked when i was doing it 8 hours a day every day on someone else's schedule and to someone else's specifications.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 07:11:06 AM »
I love the organization I work at and from time to time I enjoy what I do, but the way employers treat employees in the museum field is so sad... you start at around $20k with a master's degree and two or three years' volunteering experience, and then you give up 3% of that a year to inflation because you're never, ever getting a COLA. Still, the work is incredibly cool.

Norman Johnson

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 07:18:02 AM »
My job is okay. I suspect I would like it more if they would let me go part time. I like fixing things and I like most of the social interaction, but the entitlement at the place I work for is a bit much for full time.

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 08:02:06 AM »
I like my job.  I'm really adaptable and think that I would find a way to like almost any job I had, but my current job probably requires a lot less adaptation than most others would.  Perhaps most importantly, I like all of my co-workers (who I've essentially worked with my entire 14-year career), which, from everyone else I talk to, sounds pretty rare.

Still, I would greatly prefer to *not* have this job.  That's not a reflection on the particular job; I have a difficult time imagining ANY job that I would enjoy more than not having a job.

Taylor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 08:56:30 AM »
I love my job, and the organization I work for. I have great co-workers, and believe in the mission of the organization. What attracted me to MMM/ERE is that I want to continue doing the work I do now, only do it for myself. Making the jump from being employed to self-employed will require quite a cushion and a bit of capital, so savings is in order.

When I'm self-employed I can scale back my work if I want, teach on the side, etc. That's the plan anyway :)

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 09:01:33 AM »
I went through nearly 30 jobs, none of which lasted more than 10 months (all but two of which I quit)
before I finally started doing what I am doing now.

It started as a fluke - I had just graduated college and I was trying to get a job as a park ranger.  I went through tests and background checks and interviews and physicals and even an obstacle course, and I eventually got put on the hiring list - days before the funding was cut and the position I was applying for got eliminated!

So, in order to make ends meet until I could get my new career going, I posted an ad on Craigslist as a truck for hire.
6 years later BioDiesel Hauling is an independently certified green hauling, delivery, and handyman service.
I get to make my own schedule, I do something totally different every day, and I make more money for less hours than any of the dozens of jobs I've had before.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 11:05:06 AM »
Assuming that I'm accepting the fact that I have to go to work every day, then I like my job. There is plenty of intellectual stimulation (sometimes too much), it is challenging and interesting, and 99% of my coworkers are smart and fun to be around.

Sparafusile

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 05:51:31 PM »
I'm the only one that's answered that I hate my job so far. "Hate" may be too strong a word, but not by far. I have an abusive boss that only knows how to yell and cuss. A corporate infrastructure that breeds problems and can't seem to make a good choice about anything. Half a dozen of my co-workers, men as young as 35, have had heart attacks and some have died in the past couple years. My work load has increased 10x in the 7 years I've been here without a raise, a promotion, or offer of help. I hate getting up 5 mornings out of 7.

Fortunately, I received an offer this morning for a job that I hope I wont hate. I guess I'll find out in two weeks.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 05:55:37 PM »
I love my job, but I don't love it more than every other thing I could possibly do with my life. 

I don't think your feelings about your job should have much impact on your desire to be financially independent.  Even if your job is the absolute best thing you could ever imagine doing every day, and that's a tall order, then wouldn't it be better to do that same thing without having to worry about your finances?

kolorado

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 05:59:28 PM »
I'm a homemaker, hubby has the job so I asked him the question and voted. ;)

Mactrader

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 06:35:08 PM »
I really love my company (a Fortune 500 midwest Energy Company) and its culture and really dislike my current role, so I selected it's okay. The opportunities are endless, so if I can work a transfer/promotion I could be doing much more satisfying work. I still am striving for FI though as I find it very unsettling that if I did not receive two paychecks, we would be in some serious trouble. I'm working very hard to pay down all of our debt ($40k since December, about $40k more to go in student loans, not counting mortgages on my two homes) and make us leaner to weather these concerns. My largest problem is that my job is VERY secure, in that the CEO came out and virtually guaranteed no layoffs, as it's something he does not believe in. This has been our culture for well over 75 years. This is a problem because it's easy to lock into long debt paydowns due to the reliability of the income.

I'm not falling for it.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 06:50:56 PM »
I'm the only one that's answered that I hate my job so far. "Hate" may be too strong a word, but not by far. I have an abusive boss that only knows how to yell and cuss. A corporate infrastructure that breeds problems and can't seem to make a good choice about anything. Half a dozen of my co-workers, men as young as 35, have had heart attacks and some have died in the past couple years. My work load has increased 10x in the 7 years I've been here without a raise, a promotion, or offer of help. I hate getting up 5 mornings out of 7.

Fortunately, I received an offer this morning for a job that I hope I wont hate. I guess I'll find out in two weeks.

Glad to hear you are able to make a change, hoping it works out to be a good one!

I love my profession, but I only like my job.  I work for a decent company, but they have been jerking me around a bit lately.  Overall it's a good job, and loving what I do to make money is really a great thing I wish everyone could have.

stashette

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 06:51:41 PM »
I like my job.  I don't always look forward to going to work, but I don't dread it either.  Of course I have terrible days sometimes, but I like my coworkers, and I have many days where I really feel good about what I do.  It provides a social outlet and mental stimulation, which is great in addition to pay of course.

This is a pretty new job for me, though, so I might change my mind in a few months! 

darkelenchus

• Bristles
  • True wealth comes from good health and wise ways.
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 10:06:17 PM »
I love the work I do and relative flexibility of schedule that it comes with, but dislike my employer and hate the fact that I'm well underpaid. So I voted "like" even though I'm currently looking to start a new career in another field. It's bittersweet.

MrSaturday

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2012, 10:08:08 AM »
I arrived at work today to be greeted by a letter from the CEO.  He had good news and bad news.

The good news is our net earnings are up 12% over last year.

The bad news is there's another big round of layoffs today.

And just a little while ago I got an email reminding me that today is employee appreciation day with a catered lunch served outside.  Think it's a trap?

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 01:20:20 AM »
Most definitely a trap.

fruplicity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2012, 05:47:43 AM »
I'm also one of the few that voted "hate" but after reading about Sparafusile's job, I think I've got it ok.

My workplace is a miserable place to be due to extremely bad management, chronic understaffing, and no support or training to do technically very difficult tasks. We're out of compliance on so many issues and propose solutions but nothing changes or improves. There is some high turnover but also some people who have been there 20+ years and know nothing else. The only plus is that i enjoy working for the organization overall and for the "customers" (ok I work in public higher education and the customers are students). I'm trying to find something else but am feeling very hopeless after getting my master's specifically for my 'dream" job, applying to 100+ jobs and getting 15+ interviews in the last year but only 1 offer on this current job. Another small plus is this is a higher paying position than other jobs that would be more in line with my "passion".

So I have to disagree with Sol:
I don't think your feelings about your job should have much impact on your desire to be financially independent.

So the ONLY reason I started researching this stuff is because of how much I hated the first "real" job I got out of college (I did Americorps for a year which was a better experience but paid 10k for the year). I was so depressed that I was facing 40 hour workweeks for the next 40 years and thought, there has to be a better way!!! And yes, there IS and it's been my goal since then. Unfortunately I've hated every other job I've had since, and it just motivates me to continue studying FIRE and websites like MMM. The only job I could tolerate was part-time while I was in grad school, so my long-term goal isn't early retirement but being financially independent enough to only need to work part-time. At this point I'm pretty doubtful that there is any one full time job out there that would make me happy, but who knows I guess?

MrSaturday

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2012, 08:03:16 AM »
Most definitely a trap.

So it turns out that it wasn't a trap.  Just really terrible planning to have employee appreciation day on the same day as employee layoff day.

We had hamburgers, hotdogs, and sides cooked and served by heads of departments, who did their best to smile and thank everyone who showed up.  On the other side of the table were wary employees wondering if they were going to get laid off later in the day.

It was...awkward.

shedinator

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2012, 08:14:49 AM »
1- I hate working at the coffee shop. It's not introvert-friendly, my body hurts all the time, my carpal tunnel's acting up, and customers suck.

5- I love working at the church. I get to make a difference in people's lives, be Christ's agent in the world, study for hours on end, and actually see things change for the better.

Gutless Bastard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2012, 09:01:32 AM »
As several people on here have said, I like my job but hate having to do it.  It tends to be low stress with flexible hours and good people but I would just rather not have to do it for 40 hours per week.

trammatic

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2012, 09:12:25 AM »
I enjoy my cushy government job. <shrug>

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2012, 03:59:46 PM »
My job is pretty good.  Sometimes I really get into it and it feels like no time passes and it's really interesting.  Other times, the professor I work with is all absent-minded and takes twice as long to do things as it should really take him which gets frustrating.  However, I'm just plain grateful to have it since it pays for 75% of my grad school tuition and an hourly rate on top of that.  So grateful.

onehappypanda

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2012, 04:20:32 PM »
I'm a professional grad student and research assistant. I get paid very little but it's enough to pay for basics, a little fun, and savings. And I feel incredibly lucky that I get to spend all day (...and sometimes all night too) studying and researching things that I feel passionate about. Sometimes I have to do stupid grunt work to make the big ideas work, but I never feel like I'm just chugging along for a paycheck. I'm not sure if academia will always be my thing, and I do obviously expect to make more money when I graduate, but right now this works for me.

pennypincher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2012, 04:31:29 PM »
I love my job... but sometimes I care about it so much that it can actually make me a little miserable (think teacher whose heart breaks over students kind of love).

I know it is a luxury to be able to spend my days working on something I care about deeply...We'll see, someday I may need to find a way to love my job a little less ;-)

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2012, 07:25:59 AM »
I love my job, I'm very good at it, and I get along well with my manager and most of my coworkers.

BUT

there are no guarantees that I will continue to have a good manager, or meaningful projects, or fun coworkers. The massive Fortune 25 corporation I work for could reorganize at any time and probably will before I can retire. FI means being able to work when it's fun and leave a job when it gets annoying.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2012, 03:23:03 PM »
I love my job most of the time.  Lately, the workload has been overwhelming.  There have been a lot of people traveling, injured, sick, or on vacation.  And unfortunately, I am every person's back-up.  Because I get shit done.

But that's going to backfire very soon when I go out on maternity leave.  I'm really trying to train people to take over while I'm out.  But there's not really incentive for them to do it.  So, trial by fire I guess!

ultrarunner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2012, 06:15:00 PM »
I hate my job, but I'm about done with it... so it's all good.  :-)