Poll

Did you vote in the 2014 Midterm?

Yes - I voted early/absentee/mail in
92 (35.4%)
Yes - I voted at the polling place on Nov 4th
125 (48.1%)
No - I would have, but I'm not legally allowed (Felony, Resident Alien, Underage)
5 (1.9%)
No - But I wish I had
15 (5.8%)
No - Non-presidential elections aren't important to me
5 (1.9%)
No - Voting won't make my voice heard
18 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 254

Voting closed: May 01, 2015, 04:07:33 PM

Author Topic: POLL American Based Mustachians: Did You Vote?  (Read 15643 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: POLL American Based Mustachians: Did You Vote?
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2014, 09:48:20 AM »
My family consists of DH, his college student son and his mom who has Alzheimer's. We took her with us when we went to vote at our new polling place, as we have moved and re-registered since the last election. She got very agitated when she could not vote. We finally had to tell her that she had voted via absentee ballot.

Doesn't answer any of your questions directly, I just wanted to share the story. Perhaps it is an example of the importance of voting. To previous generations, it was worth making significant effort for. Now, so many people simply cannot be bothered.

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2014, 12:11:06 PM »
I didn't vote, but the reason why is not listed in the poll responses...

Someone briefly touched on it upthread, but when you boil it down, it comes down to the fact that every election is a choice of the lesser of two evils, and that is insane.  I cannot in good conscience vote for someone because "(s)he's not as bad as the other guy/gal."  If there is no such thing as a good option, this tells me that the system is broken.

So it's not your typical "my vote doesn't matter" or even laziness (I actually read platforms because I very badly want to vote for a good candidate, I just haven't encountered one yet), so much as a quiet protest against the system that essentially asks us "which shit sandwich would you like to eat for the next X years?"

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2014, 12:44:57 PM »
Doesn't answer any of your questions directly, I just wanted to share the story. Perhaps it is an example of the importance of voting. To previous generations, it was worth making significant effort for. Now, so many people simply cannot be bothered.

Nice.

zhelud

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2014, 01:02:40 PM »
What inspires you to vote? I can't even imagine not voting. People all over the world die all the time trying to move their countries toward democracy.  When people complain that they don't vote because they don't have any really appealing choices on the ballot, I think "so just because your ideal candidate isn't running, you are going to deprive yourself of any voice in how you are governed?"

What party do you normally vote with, if any? I'm a woman, I'm not a Christian, I have gay friends and relatives, and I'm the wife and daughter of immigrants. I vote for people who will protect my rights, and not make life harder for my friends and relatives.

Are you at all active in your local political community? No.

Was there a major ballot issue this election that impassioned you to vote? No

Do you consider voting to be a mustachian behavior on your part? No

Also- if you have never been an election officer, you should definitely try it- it is quite an eye-opening experience! 

jka468

• Stubble
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2014, 01:02:59 PM »

Someone briefly touched on it upthread, but when you boil it down, it comes down to the fact that every election is a choice of the lesser of two evils, and that is insane.  I cannot in good conscience vote for someone because "(s)he's not as bad as the other guy/gal."  If there is no such thing as a good option, this tells me that the system is broken.

So it's not your typical "my vote doesn't matter" or even laziness (I actually read platforms because I very badly want to vote for a good candidate, I just haven't encountered one yet), so much as a quiet protest against the system that essentially asks us "which shit sandwich would you like to eat for the next X years?"

ROK fan huh?

Future Lazy

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2014, 01:09:15 PM »

I think no vote is a vote in it's own way, and I think that politics seriously overlooks the fact that a majority of American's aren't disengaged from elections because they're not paying attention and don't care, but instead because the infighting is so painful, stressful and useless to their everyday lives; And, likewise, because almost everyone I know feels underrepresented and hasn't caught wind of anyone who takes a similar stance on their beliefs. The fact that almost 80% of my generation doesn't attend an election isn't disengagement - after all, The Daily Show and Colbert Report are wildly popular - it's that there's no other voice in the system besides a rotating array of comedy pundits. 

Feeling underrepresented, usually because the only things being represented are dollars, and not people. How can you fight that?

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2014, 01:24:03 PM »
What inspires you to vote? I was a Republican voter in the late 90's. I railed against Bill Clinton and the '93 tax increases as anti-American. In the early 2000's I was entirely shocked to discover I'd changed my mind completely - that IMHO the '93 tax increases had set up great prosperity as seen in the tech boom, and wide-spread prosperity across the nation. At the same time, I realized the GOP wasn't 'really' interested in helping those in the 9% (top 10% but vastly separated from the 1%), but only in getting re-elected, and procuring more for big business interests, and the 1%.  The GOP ruined the booming economy, spent dry the so called 'social security trust fund' on an unsupportable neo-con war, and put us again on the road to long-term debt.  I'm inspired to do all I can to make sure this doesn't happen again.  Even as far as considering using my very recognizable name, and running for Congress in my home-state (AL).
What party do you normally vote with, if any? Democrats.
Are you at all active in your local political community? Not now, but I have been.  My son will be a great POTUS.
Was there a major ballot issue this election that impassioned you to vote? No.
Do you consider voting to be a mustachian behavior on your part?  Absolutely.  The underlying economy makes saving possible, and voting your pocketbook is vital. And no, I do not believe the old "trickle-down economics" pseudo-science.  I'm a huge fan of former labor secretary Robert Reich, and former Clinton pundit Ragin-Cajun James Carville.

Future Lazy

• Bristles
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2014, 01:51:08 PM »
What inspires you to vote? I was a Republican voter in the late 90's. I railed against Bill Clinton and the '93 tax increases as anti-American. In the early 2000's I was entirely shocked to discover I'd changed my mind completely - that IMHO the '93 tax increases had set up great prosperity as seen in the tech boom, and wide-spread prosperity across the nation. At the same time, I realized the GOP wasn't 'really' interested in helping those in the 9% (top 10% but vastly separated from the 1%), but only in getting re-elected, and procuring more for big business interests, and the 1%.  The GOP ruined the booming economy, spent dry the so called 'social security trust fund' on an unsupportable neo-con war, and put us again on the road to long-term debt.  I'm inspired to do all I can to make sure this doesn't happen again.  Even as far as considering using my very recognizable name, and running for Congress in my home-state (AL).
What party do you normally vote with, if any? Democrats.
Are you at all active in your local political community? Not now, but I have been.  My son will be a great POTUS.
Was there a major ballot issue this election that impassioned you to vote? No.
Do you consider voting to be a mustachian behavior on your part?  Absolutely.  The underlying economy makes saving possible, and voting your pocketbook is vital. And no, I do not believe the old "trickle-down economics" pseudo-science.  I'm a huge fan of former labor secretary Robert Reich, and former Clinton pundit Ragin-Cajun James Carville.

I don't know who you are, but I will move to Alabama to vote for you. Miss Fussbudget 2016!

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2014, 11:53:42 AM »

ROK fan huh?

OK...I googled it and couldn't figure it out (got as far as Republic of Korea and Rockwell Automation and decided it would be faster to just ask)...what the hell does ROK stand for?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!