Author Topic: Pls recommend Antivirus software  (Read 4372 times)

Ms.Fortuna

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Pls recommend Antivirus software
« on: December 27, 2016, 01:46:00 AM »
Hello,

Could please anyone recommend a sweet spot (effectiveness vs price) for antivirus software for a new Dell (Windows 10)?
Will be surfing the Internet moderately (mostly banking, reading blogs, etc, no games,music etc downloads)..Thinking Webroot- "Internet security plus"

https://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/products/isp

Other suggestions?
Thanks!

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
Re: Pls recommend Antivirus software
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 08:12:32 AM »
Common Sense is always going to be your best line of defense on any computer, because even the best AV software in the world can't protect a careless user.

Where you might need/want an AV application, there's two classes: best free and best paid. My own knowledge is getting a little rusty at this point as I haven't stayed on top of AV industry news the past year or so, so if any infosec goons out there care to correct me on my dated knowledge, please do so and I'll listen. That said, last I was current the breakdown was pretty well thus:

Best paid is Eset NOD32 or Kaspersky Antivirus.

Best free is Avira or Microsoft Security Essentials. There's other occasionally decent and very popular free AV solutions such as AVG and Avast, but the times where they have hosed up, they have hosed up really bad and done painful levels of stupid to the host operating system over the years... and they've done it just often enough to make it difficult for me to recommend them seriously.

Ultimately, best free is never quite going to be as good at catching the points where you lapse as best paid... but again, even the best in the world won't completely protect you against yourself or the outside even if you are careful and stay on top of patching and updating applications. This said, if you don't trust your own capabilities to trust and use the free, don't be cheap on paid.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 08:16:17 AM by I.P. Daley »

Ms.Fortuna

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 09:02:01 AM »
Thank you, I.P.!
I may go for the free one at this point..
The common sense link was very helpful too!

nexus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 03:45:35 PM »
Also check out Avast's free version. (Avast Antivirus)

You can also add the AdBlock Plus free extension to your browser. It stops popups and annoying banner ads from showing up on the pages you visit.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 05:01:19 PM »
Also check out Avast's free version. (Avast Antivirus)

You can also add the AdBlock Plus free extension to your browser. It stops popups and annoying banner ads from showing up on the pages you visit.

Avast can do a decent enough job (for free) when it's not tagging false positives, hosing system files or crashing the OS. Note my caveats on Avast above. I'm glad it's done well by you, but I've seen too many systems hosed in my lifetime by Avast's boneheaded coding and heuristics database (their last major whoopsiedoodle was less than six months ago)... makes me wary to recommend it to others.

Adblocking software is always a benefit as well, given how many times advertising has been used to deliver payloads through legitimate channels over the years. Should have mentioned that the first time, thank you for bringing it up. ABP has gotten kinda bloated over the years, though, and plays favorites on whitelisting out of the box. Most folks in the know these days are steering people towards Raymond Hill's uBlock Origin (simple replacement for ABP) and uMatrix (complex replacement for ABP and so much more) - all respective plugins are available through their official browser "stores".

I used to run a combo of either Firefox with ABP, NoScript, Cookie Whitelist and User Agent Switcher, or Chrome with ABP, ScriptSafe, Vanilla Cookie Manager and User Agent Switcher, and the memory footprint started to get insane in both (though Firefox was far worse and was starting to get nigh unusable toward the end for me). I was able to replace all of the plugins with uMatrix alone, which used less RAM than ABP alone. It helped Chrome immensely, and made Firefox far less terrible. (*sigh* I miss Firefox not being terrible.)

csprof

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 08:53:40 PM »
That "common sense" link mentions it together with antivirus, but I want to underscore it:

*Keep your OS and all software up to date*.

Enable automatic updates for Windows and for your web browser, and any software that supports it that you use regularly.  All Microsoft office apps, for example.  It's the single best way to protect yourself, and it's low overhead with modern auto-update built into more and more apps.  I think it's far more important than antivirus.

If it were me, I'd also say:  Use Chrome.  It's got a great security track record.   Leave Flash disabled by default ("click-to-play"):  http://www.howtogeek.com/188059/how-to-enable-click-to-play-plugins-in-every-web-browser/
(Flash has a terrible record).

Required disclosure:  Google pays part of my paycheck, but they're not paying me to advocate for using Chrome;  that's my informed opinion.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 09:38:53 PM »
I've used AVG for years. No issues.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 09:51:07 PM »
I've used AVG for years. No issues.

Do they still have the problem of a lot of false positives? That's always been my biggest concern. It's never been about how effective they are at catching real threats, but how often it would cry wolf over nothing at all.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 08:13:16 AM »
Do they still have the problem of a lot of false positives? That's always been my biggest concern. It's never been about how effective they are at catching real threats, but how often it would cry wolf over nothing at all.

No. That has not been my experience.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 05:57:47 PM »
I've got AVG - because it was highly rated by a computer site with a lot of integrity.
But I've got the free version, and I'm getting really tired of the 'reminders' of the features I'm missing and offers to 'upgrade'.

doneby35

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 06:09:48 PM »
Windows 10 has its own built-in free antivirus software (windows defender). It does a decent job at protecting your operating system.
With some careful browsing habits, you should be fine without the need any antivirus software.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 07:37:03 PM »
I've got AVG - because it was highly rated by a computer site with a lot of integrity.
But I've got the free version, and I'm getting really tired of the 'reminders' of the features I'm missing and offers to 'upgrade'.

While I don't love that aspect. It's free and I understand they need to figure out a way to pay the bills.

Wasdramer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Spiritual Saver
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 05:20:11 PM »
As someone who has worked on computers for a number of years, I feel I can be of benefit to this subject.

It's worth mentioning that free software isn't always the best way to go currently. While viruses are a real threat and antivirus software can help in that area, they are completely irrelevant when it comes to ransomware. In addition, you're not always getting the best benefits with free antivirus, simply because they aren't as optimized or as robust as a full solution for protection.

Having said that, if you have a strong IT background, you can get away with just using Windows Defender/Microsoft Security Essentials and be fine as long as you don't click anything suspicious. Suspicious meaning that link an old friend/relative/coworker sent you out of the blue and seemingly doesn't remember it when you ask them. Otherwise, I recommend a more aggressive approach to dealing with viruses/trojans/worms/ransomware/etc.

Personally, I use Malwarebytes. Their latest version actually bundles antivirus with anti-ransomware together. Additionally, they have a special little feature called Anti-Exploit, which prevents certain little nasties from even taking effect. They also offer website protection as a bonus, which will prevent some things from even connecting out and downloading all sorts of things that you don't want.

I've used Malwarebytes for years, and their levels of protection have only increased in that time. I've not had any issues with them, and their software is easy to use. Their free version can do either a quick scan or full scan. The premium version includes realtime protection and a bunch of other things. For more information, just go here!

Additional protection would involve HTTPS Everywhere, uBlock Origin (already mentioned), and LastPass (to keep your passwords in one place and to create even stronger ones). All three of these programs are free, and extremely useful. I use them on a daily basis, and they're mostly seamless and in the background.

Finally, as others have mentioned before, none of this will work without basic common sense. Don't click everything you see on Facebook, or you WILL get a virus. Don't click things from everyone who messages you, or you WILL get a virus. Certain things are a lot more destructive than others, so even if it doesn't seem like something to worry about now, you could easily find your files encrypted (or deleted entirely and then irrecoverable) later. This is not a time to ignore basic best practices of using your computer. All it takes is one click for your files to be gone. Sometimes, if you're really unlucky, they can be gone without your interactions. Storms, fires, and many natural hazards can destroy your computer and anything you had on it as well (including those lovely wedding pictures of your sister last fall). If you want to be even more cautious, back things up on an external hard drive AND somewhere that isn't on your property (like DropBox or similar).

Hope this helps!

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 06:33:14 PM »
Back to IP's "common sense"... Keep in mind that one of the first things taught in penetration testing is how to take a malware executable that is properly identified by antivirus and morph it in a way such that it no longer is recognized.  Keep in mind that this training is taught to "the good guys"...   The bad guys already know how to do it.

Antivirus is similar to the lock on your front door.  It is meant to protect you from some casual person that walks up and jiggles the knob.  A real crook will walk to the back of your house and throw something really large through your window, take what he wants and leave.  It's not "useless".  But it is also not hugely useful.

dess1313

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 10:45:18 PM »
Comodo or Avast for antivirus

Malwarebytes and Spybot search and destroy for spyware