Author Topic: Please tell me the worst parts about caring for a dog  (Read 25237 times)

Ceridwen

• Stubble
Re: Please tell me the worst parts about caring for a dog
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2015, 09:46:13 AM »
My parents just spent $1,800 on their basset hound because he swallowed a corn cob (multiple vet visits, tests and ultimately surgery to remove it).

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2015, 09:53:36 AM »
*glurrrp*

*gluuurrrpp*

*GLLLLUUUUUURUURRRRRRRPPPPP*

. . . at three in the morning.  As my dog vomits some poop that she ate that didn't agree with her all over my sheets and comforter.  Not a fun night.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2015, 09:59:29 AM »
*glurrrp*

*gluuurrrpp*

*GLLLLUUUUUURUURRRRRRRPPPPP*

. . . at three in the morning.  As my dog vomits some poop that she ate that didn't agree with her all over my sheets and comforter.  Not a fun night.

This is by FAR the fastest way to get me out of bed. My dog used to vomit regularly and the sound of him starting to heave would wake me up from a dead sleep, out of bed, running to open the door for him in about 2 seconds. My alarm clock however doesn't have the same impact. It usually takes 45 minutes to get me up.

Since February when I changed the type of dog food my dog hasn't vomited.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2015, 10:07:24 AM »
You can pay a groomer just to do the anal glands & if you want them to cut their nails they will do that too. When we both worked f.t. we always had 2 dogs so that they were company for each other & not alone.  So many dogs need homes so if everyone waits until they are home all the time many dogs will be killed by shelters for lack of space.

When my dog was a puppy I'd come home at lunch every day to let him out, and most but not all days as he got older. With my new job I am away for about 8 hours and can't be home for lunch. Part of my reason for my FIRE goals are to be able to spend more time with him, but until then he's home alone (or with a foster dog, or with my boyfriend when he was working remotely from my home the past summer). Even with the foster dogs I have they are far happier being in a home with no humans around for 8 hours 5 days a week than they are stuck in the kennel. It's not perfect, but it's an improvement. Being away at work so often just means I don't feel comfortable having whelping fosters or puppies or many medical fosters.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2015, 10:08:55 AM »
Sitting today, waiting for the next 7 hours to hear how Dog's surgery went.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2015, 10:20:42 AM »
On both the vomiting, and the eating of poop: my dog would not leave the "tootsie rolls" in the litter box alone. It was almost a compulsion he couldn't help and would cause him to throw up.

I've posted it before, so pardon a repeat post. 

Dog proof, stink proof cat abode:   

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2015, 10:23:57 AM »
Well, I'm not a dog person. I like cats (see my picture? That's my Sibley. <----------- ) But this works for any type of animal.

If you want any animal, make sure that your lifestyle will allow you to properly care for the animal - food, exercise, play time, vet care, etc. If not, it's not fair to the animal.

Re: getting an animal. Please don't buy one. There's so many animals that need a good home, you're sure to find one at a shelter. Animals end up in shelters for many reasons - they're strays, abused, abandoned, or their owners loved them but couldn't care for them and surrendered them. Or their owners died. Or moved somewhere animals weren't allowed. Or had severe allergies that couldn't be controlled.

If the shelters/rescues won't adopt to families with children, then they're not doing their job. The presence of kids needs to be considered. Some animals won't do well, some will. But that should be determined based on the individual animal, not a blanket ban. Find another shelter.

I volunteer at a shelter (I work with cats). Animals are individually evaluated to determine what will or won't work with them. Need to be an only pet? No kids? Older kids only? Quiet home? Active lifestyle? Then prospective adopters are interviewed to determine if their lifestyle will be a good fit for the animal. If there's a particular animal that might be great with that family, they'll introduce them. If you really can't handle an animal for whatever reason, they'll tell you.

If your shelter isn't doing this, you need a better shelter. For both your and the animal's sake.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2015, 10:30:07 AM »
I think the worst parts are, having to be home 3 times a day to take your dog out to go to the bathroom and for walks, big vet bills, and having to find a good place for him while you vacation, but all definitely worth it

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2015, 10:36:06 AM »
Warning...extremely gross...

Worst part so far (excluding death): cleaning dog poop out of the cab of your truck after the dog had a panic attack, lost control over all bodily functions, and then ran through it over and over smearing it all over him and grinding it into the cloth seats.

Second worse: coming home to a kennel full of poop and a dog with gums bleeding because he had another panic attack and chewed on the kennel.

Btw, our dog is fine now (8 years later) and only has remnants of anxiety. But for the first two years after we adopted him, it was hell for him and us.

I feel your pain. And have been there.

The dog who just had the seizure gets car sickness. I found this out by driving up a mountain road with no turnouts: while she vomited nonstop on my head from the back seat. It's a Ford Escape: she could have turned her head to the right, or gotten into the far back....but no. Had to share the love.

As for your anxiety pup: I had a dog who I thought would have a heart attack every thunderstorm. I started out with one benydryl, then two, then finally got him prescription meds and would play music at max volume to mask the storm.

It was separation anxiety. He was about a year old when we adopted him. He'd been abandoned (and possibly abused), then adopted and brought back a week later. So, essentially, he'd been dumped twice in his short life. Our vet actually had him on prozac for the better part of the first year or so to help take the edge off. Training and developing a routine also helped. In general, though, it just seemed like the longer he was part of the "pack" without being kicked out, the better he did.

Now that I'm trying to articulate it, I'm realizing the messes weren't the worst part. I mean, cleaning up poop every day was bad. But seeing the absolute anguish he was suffering, and knowing it was caused by people, was far worse.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2015, 11:20:01 AM »
I'm a cat person, myself. But some dogs bark. A lot.

My neighbors have a poodle. When they take it for walks or are out in the yard with it, it's an angel. Beautifully trained.

When it's alone, it barks. Non stop. At everything.

It erupts into insane barking whenever someone approaches their home. It barks at anything and anyone it sees out the window. I can frequently hear it barking inside their house when all their windows are closed and I'm standing in my yard.

At every moment that someone in their household is not actively minding the dog, it barks.

It barks so much that people call animal control on it for noise complaints. And what do the owners do? Sit outside with it for awhile, trying to correct it if it barks. And the moment they pop inside for something - RUFF RUFF RUFF!!!

I'm sure that when they brought that little puppy home, they had no idea that they embarking on 10+ years of endless, exceedingly loud barking. They've clearly tried very hard to train the dog. It's obvious from their general attitude of ambivalence that the dog long ago ceased being a joy.

So the worst part about owning a dog... you have no idea what you're going to get. Even a puppy can grow up and have a problem.

That wouldn't stop me, mind you... but my personal preference with a dog, going from no-dogs to new dog owner, would be to foster-to-adopt.

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2015, 11:26:18 AM »

Separation anxiety is hard.  We went through it with our dog.  Very hard.  She's not 100% better, but we're doing much better.

The worst part of my day is leaving my dog at home to go to work.  She's my companion.  I look forward to our runs, our walks, her naps while I read a book, and our training time.

Glad your dog is doing better now.

This thread is making me want to go home and hug my pup. Unfortunately, I have 6 more hours of stupid work before I can do that. Just another reason to FIRE. :)

Easye418

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2015, 12:05:00 PM »
I have yet to have to say goodbye to a dog yet, however, I have already said if they live longer than 10 years, I should accept that they have lived an extremely long and nice life and they have reached the end of their journey. 

The  bad currently boarding, scratches on my wood floor, piss from my male marking, barking, SHEDDING.

I am learning to let these go.  I know they pretty much dedicate themselves to their owners. 

I think I take for granted how much they "fill" the house up.  My boy is 6, girl is 3.5, and girl #2 is 2.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2015, 12:20:06 PM »
...some dogs bark. A lot.

We have a neighbor with a barker.  I can't do anything in the yard without being barked at constantly.  We had a barker growing up, after trying everything else, a electronic bark collar worked well, but she knew the instant the battery went dead because the warning beep stopped and resumed her old behavior.

I have entertained the idea of getting a dog once FIRE (never could bear to leave one home alone), but after reading this thread I may hold off!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2015, 12:25:31 PM »
...some dogs bark. A lot.

We have a neighbor with a barker.  I can't do anything in the yard without being barked at constantly.  We had a barker growing up, after trying everything else, a electronic bark collar worked well, but she knew the instant the battery went dead because the warning beep stopped and resumed her old behavior.

I have entertained the idea of getting a dog once FIRE (never could bear to leave one home alone), but after reading this thread I may hold off!

Beyond the barking, which is bad enough, but general bad behavior. Especially from small dogs, which some people don't seem to bother training because they're so small they can't cause damage. Um, yes, they can. They can still scratch me, bite me, chase my cats, pee on my front doorstep (true story, but that's more a commentary on the human than the dog), etc. EVERY dog needs basic training.

bobertsen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2015, 01:17:57 PM »
For me, the worst part of dog ownership is the rigidity of care. I can't just drop everything and go on a trip without finding someone to take care of the dogs while I'm gone.

Also, now that they're aging, cleaning poop off the floor whenever the weather is too bad for the dogs to spend significant time outside is a mild inconvenience.

KisKis

• Stubble
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2015, 01:27:15 PM »
Having a dog is like having a perpetual two-year-old.  Super cute and you love them, but limited ability to communicate, can't get their own food or go to the bathroom by themselves, and add an added layer of planning to any vacations.  I enjoy having friends and family with pets that I can visit and "borrow" from time to time, but ownership is not for me.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 01:29:01 PM by KisKis »

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2015, 01:28:26 PM »
The DW and I had a cat for two years and we got a puppy this summer.
We never had problems with the cat clawing at the furniture, but we're having a hard time training the dog to stay off the couch and it has taken a serious beating as he's grown.
He hates getting his nails cut (it takes both of us to hold him down and do it).
He has more energy than I do most days, so I feel bad for not going for more walks/runs with him.
He recently ate the charging cable to an xbox 1 controller that the DW was planning on returning. Not the most expensive thing in the world, but still frustrating.

If you can deal with those things on top of the frequent use of your house as a toilet until it gets trained, I think you'll be alright.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2015, 01:35:48 PM »
I have had both dogs and cats and find cats MUCH easier. Dogs need to be walked. They can be hard to toilet train. They like to bark. They chew. They need to have nails clipped. Some dogs shed constantly. They need baths, since they like to roll in the feces of prey animals. Some need to have their anal glands emptied regularly, which is as fun a task as it sounds. They can have separation anxiety. We leave the cats for several weeks and just have someone come in once a day to care for them. You can't do that with a dog.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hypocrispy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2015, 01:36:45 PM »
Lessons I've learned after a year with my Australian Cattle Dog puppy:

You didn't want to spend an extra hour hanging out with friends/family or take the scenic route home from wherever anyway, did you?
     Good, because you need to get home to feed the dog.

You didn't want to go on an overnight trip or any lengthy vacation anyway, did you?
     Good, because you have to contend with boarding fees or finding a sitter.

You didn't really want your friends/family over for dinner and get togethers anyway, did you?
     Good, because either someone is allergic, hates dogs, or your loveable little fur baby will insist on terrorizing your guests no matter how much you work with him. And you can't force dog love on anyone. That's not how that works.

You didn't really want to be friends with your neighbor anyway, did you?
     Good, because invariably someone will be upset about your dog for some stupid reason. (Existing, maybe?)

You wanted to get really good at fixing things anyway, right?
     Good, because your puppy will attempt to seek and destroy everything. EVERYTHING.

You didn't really want a quiet minute of the day anyway, right?
     Good, because all time that was not accounted for is now puppy time. Whether its watching him to make sure he doesn't get himself into something or entertaining him.

You didn't really want to sleep in anymore anyway, did you?
     Good, because you need to get up to feed the dog and let him outside.

You wanted to ante-up on your cleaning schedule anyway, right?
     Good, because there will be fur. A lot of fur. Everywhere. Your yard will have no more dirt, it'll be in your house. Your own in house dirt patch.

All that being said, I very much love my little nut mutt. It sounded like you (OP) were trying to find reasons so that you could talk yourself out of a dog and convince yourself not to get one. Everyone has offered plenty of good ones to vet and food bills to destruction of property. You have to decide what is right for you. Personally, a lot has happened to me in my dog's short life on this Earth and I probably wouldn't have made it with my sanity any where near intact if it hadn't been for him. But I pay for this comfort. He is my responsibility. He relies on me for everything. He can not care for himself. He can't even tell me when he's not feeling well. I even control when he gets to go to the bathroom (when he gets let outside). He can not feed himself. Or clean himself (in any meaningful way). That's a lot of fucking responsibility.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2015, 01:54:15 PM »
Obligatory Oatmeal cartoon, understood by anyone who's ever owned dogs:

If my dogs were a pair of middle-aged men: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/dogs_as_men

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2015, 02:05:35 PM »
Obligatory Oatmeal cartoon, understood by anyone who's ever owned dogs:

If my dogs were a pair of middle-aged men: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/dogs_as_men

My favorite is: My dog, the paradox http://theoatmeal.com/comics/dog_paradox

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2015, 02:21:20 PM »
I'm sure dog-lovers don't even notice these things anymore, but this is what stops me from getting one:
1.  Imagine a cold rainy night.  You're reading in bed and start to fall asleep.  The dog needs to go out.  Get up, change clothes, boots, umbrella, raincoat. YUCK.  I just want to stay in my warm cozy bed.
2.  Imagine Saturday morning and you just want to sleep an extra 15 minutes.  But you can't.  You have to get up because the dog wants out.  Then realize this is going to happen EVERY. DAY. for at least 10 years. 

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2015, 02:33:56 PM »
I thought about this thread again as I just found out that my college-age little sister brought home a pig for Thanksgiving.  Mind you, none of us knew she had somehow acquired a pig and has been hiding it in her dorm room.

So... however bad or good you perceive having a dog to be, it'll never be "little sister bringing home a pig and now it's wandering around your parent's living room" bad.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 02:35:39 PM by iamlindoro »

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2015, 02:36:58 PM »
2.  Imagine Saturday morning and you just want to sleep an extra 15 minutes.  But you can't.  You have to get up because the dog wants out.  Then realize this is going to happen EVERY. DAY. for at least 10 years.

I'm a heavy sleeper. On the days my dog can't get me to wake up by nudging me with his cold, wet nose, he will bring his loudest squeaky toy into the bedroom and jump on it. Works every time.

Oh, and did I mention that he does this to me, not my husband? And even when my husband is awake before me, the dog has to wake Mommy to go out?

I often tell my dog that it's a good thing he's cute. My husband thinks I'm joking. I'm not. :P

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2015, 02:39:10 PM »
Is the pig cute?

I think it is, but I love all animals.  Pic above in the post you quoted.  Even as a complete softie when it comes to animals, I don't think it's prudent to have an exotic pet hidden in a dorm room! :)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2015, 02:47:05 PM »
Is the pig cute?

I think it is, but I love all animals.  Pic above in the post you quoted.  Even as a complete softie when it comes to animals, I don't think it's prudent to have an exotic pet hidden in a dorm room! :)
I agree that pets in dormrooms are a bad idea.  However, the pig is adorable!!!!!

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2015, 03:45:39 PM »
Plenty of horror stories here.  How about a best-case scenario?  I recently said goodbye to a dog that couldn't have been more wonderful and easy, but I still wouldn't recommend a dog to someone that wasn't ready for their lifestyle to change DRASTICALLY.  So to answer your request, worst part about having even the best dog in the world?  Your life now revolves more than a little bit around an animal.  Cats are easy, you can leave a bunch of food and water, clean the litterbox, and take off for the weekend.  They might bitch when you get back, but that's what cats do.  Can't do that with a dog.  You can't even go out after work without going home first.  And then be ready to feel guilty in leaving him/her home alone all evening after just having left it home all day.  Our dog is one part of our world, but we are 100% of theirs.  When we're not there, even if they don't have separation anxiety, they're still just waiting for us to come home, which will once again be the best thing that's ever happened to them.  Want to go on an all-day hike or other adventure?  Hope your dog can go with you, or you have friends/family nearby that aren't going to get sick of running over to your house to let it out for you, or else you just won't be going.

I miss my dog dearly, she was one of the single best things that have happened to me, but it's going to be a while before I'm ready for that level of lifestyle restriction again.  So yea, that's the part I would say to spend a lot of time thinking about: your current level of day-to-day freedom and if you're ready to give it up.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2015, 03:49:51 PM »
Plenty of horror stories here.  How about a best-case scenario?  I recently said goodbye to a dog that couldn't have been more wonderful and easy, but I still wouldn't recommend a dog to someone that wasn't ready for their lifestyle to change DRASTICALLY.  So to answer your request, worst part about having even the best dog in the world?  Your life now revolves more than a little bit around an animal.  Cats are easy, you can leave a bunch of food and water, clean the litterbox, and take off for the weekend.  They might bitch when you get back, but that's what cats do.  Can't do that with a dog.  You can't even go out after work without going home first.  And then be ready to feel guilty in leaving him/her home alone all evening after just having left it home all day.  Our dog is one part of our world, but we are 100% of theirs.  When we're not there, even if they don't have separation anxiety, they're still just waiting for us to come home, which will once again be the best thing that's ever happened to them.  Want to go on an all-day hike or other adventure?  Hope your dog can go with you, or you have friends/family nearby that aren't going to get sick of running over to your house to let it out for you, or else you just won't be going.

I miss my dog dearly, she was one of the single best things that have happened to me, but it's going to be a while before I'm ready for that level of lifestyle restriction again.  So yea, that's the part I would say to spend a lot of time thinking about: your current level of day-to-day freedom and if you're ready to give it up.
I'm sorry to hear that you had to say goodbye to your dog. 

CabinetGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2015, 04:21:16 PM »
I'm sure dog-lovers don't even notice these things anymore, but this is what stops me from getting one:
1.  Imagine a cold rainy night.  You're reading in bed and start to fall asleep.  The dog needs to go out.  Get up, change clothes, boots, umbrella, raincoat. YUCK.  I just want to stay in my warm cozy bed.

Oh no, I notice them, but I don't mind it as much as I used to when I was younger and a lot more impatient.  But it's what I signed up for, and if my poor pup has to pee, it's my responsibility to let him out.  And sleeping in on a Saturday, I can't sleep late anyway.  I feel like I'm waisting the day.  Love getting up and taking the pup to the beach on Saturday mornings.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2015, 04:49:20 PM »

1.  Get up, open door to back yard.  Blearily stumble around kitchen for a bit.  Realize the dog has been out there for ten minutes.  Wonder what the hell is going on.  Look out the back window and see the dog hurtling itself from one end of the yard to the other in an orgy of frenzied joy for some reason.  Call dog back in, towel her off.

2.  Getting up early is not a problem, because our dog gets quite upset when we stay up past our bedtime.  First she walks upstairs to our room and back to where we are several dozen times.  Then she throws herself down noisily near our feet.  Then she lets out harumphs for 10 - 20 minutes, and eventually she'll sit about eight feet away, glare at you and periodically let out little barks.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2015, 05:40:50 PM »
Dog's surgery went well, thank goodness. And in the realm of things that NEVER HAPPEN, it cost $250 LESS than the LOW estimate they provided. Angels singing? Check. Budget for the month balances? Check!

Dogs are expensive. They are smelly and gross and ridiculous. And I love them so very, very much.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2015, 06:06:33 PM »
Dog's surgery went well, thank goodness. And in the realm of things that NEVER HAPPEN, it cost $250 LESS than the LOW estimate they provided. Angels singing? Check. Budget for the month balances? Check!

Dogs are expensive. They are smelly and gross and ridiculous. And I love them so very, very much.

Yay!! Double yay!!

astvilla

• Stubble
« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2015, 06:56:27 PM »
Wow jeez everyone's got problems with their dog.  Am I the only who doesn't?

Having small dogs, they bark a lot.  But if you live in a big enough plot and far from neighbors, it's okay.  I'm pretty sure people can hear but w/small dogs, their barks arent as loud.

We don't have carpet.  Our dog doesn't vomit, very rarely.  Or anxiety issues, seizures, etc.

But our dog isn't neutered. I tried to convince my parents to neuter but my parents were adamant about not getting neutered.  The push back was from my dad.  I guess he equated the dog's suffering to his own so he didn't want the dog to go through that.

But reading all these comments, I'm wondering if neutering is a bad thing now and maybe he's better than most because he wasn't?  My parents walk him, he's okay, nothing crazy. Doesn't chase after dogs. Outside the property he considers territory, he's pretty meek. Has no puppies or overly aggressive behavior outside the house.  Does pick fights with dogs that visit our house though. Hates other dogs, loves my parents.

Does anyone have a dog that wasn't neutered? Good, bad?

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2015, 07:11:03 PM »
Does anyone have a dog that wasn't neutered? Good, bad?

Keep in mind, the thread specifically solicited the worst parts about caring for a dog.  Thus, the thread is filled with people who are sharing those experiences which one could perceive as negative.  Keep in mind that any living thing, given enough time, will face a life threatening or ending illness, and fighting to prevent that can become expensive.

There is a huge body of medical evidence that neutering drastically reduces health issues in dogs.  Unneutered animals are more prone to behavioral issues, spayed females have a near-zero occurrence of uterine and breast cancers, neutered males can't have testicular cancers (which are common in non-neutered males), and neutered males tend not to attempt to mark their territory with urine.

Generally speaking, neutered animals are far healthier and have much longer life expectancies.

naturelover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2015, 08:30:44 PM »
I have so far only found that one rescue, do you know of any?

If you are in the U.S., check out Petfinder.com. It's a huge database where shelters and rescues across the country post their adoptable animals. Don't give up on adoption. There are many groups that don't have such strict guidelines.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2015, 09:01:51 PM »
Like anything, they can be inconvenient. You can't just stay out all day from morning to late at night. We did end up giving up our structured schedule and our dog eats breakfast and dinner at wildly varying hours. He liked the consistency before but is doing fine on our non-schedule....which works better for us.

Travel is harder since we have to find a dogsitter
 Lately, my SIL has been staying at my house and she watches him. She says he is so quiet and easy going that he is no trouble at all.

We are fortunate. We lucked out with a rescue mini poodle who is laid back, easygoing, and quiet. He adapts really well to our crazy house. On the flip side, he doesn't know how to play. Has taken two years to bond with my kids (and still mostly ignores my son unless he has food). Plus he has bad cataracts so is half blind and scared of everything, especially his shadow. But we all love him and he adds a lot of joy to our lives. I honestly didn't think we would take on the dog with cataracts. But we didn't know when we arranged for a week's trial with the rescue. At the end of the week, we took him to a vet for a checkup an found out. We almost said no but by that time, we just couldn't give him back.

My advice? Do as much pre-screening as u can because after the dog enters your life, it's hard to ever let them go again.

Also, many rescues are different. I was very intimidated after all I had read about rescues. The first one I met (at an adoption fair) were nice enough. The one we ended up working with were very nice and very willing to work with us (not against us kwim?). After a short phone discussion, she told me she didn't think the dog I had originally asked about was the right fit for me and suggested my current doggy, who checked almost all my boxes.

I think the website that most rescues are listed on is petfinder.com. Also, contact breeders as they often adopt out their retired dogs.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 09:16:34 PM by elaine amj »

Lski'stash

• Pencil Stache
    • A Teacher's Journey to FI in the Mitten State
« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2015, 09:12:48 PM »
For me the worst wasn't making the final decision when it was time, it was watching him decline so much in the years leading up to it. I had a Great Dane mix that I got at 15 and had until 28. He started having arthritis issues at age 6 or 7 though not enough to slow him down until about 11 or 12. The last year though he really went downhill and it was really hard for me watching him suffer but not badly enough to make the decision. I made many visits to the vet in that time to get a professional opinion to make sure I wasn't letting him suffer too long. In that year he lost a lot of control in his bowels so we had many piles to clean up, often in the middle of the night (that is a very unpleasant smell to wake up to at 2am). He lost his appetite and we watched his ribs show more and more. And dealing with the guilt for getting frustrated with him for things he had no control over. While it was still very hard it was a bit of a relief when it was time.

For our current dog the worst was the almost two years of explosive diarrhea before we found out that he's allergic to poultry. One incident happened when we was laying with his butt facing the register in the bedroom...that took a while for the smell to go away.
His habit of rolling in nasty stuff isn't fun either (luckily he seems to have stopped that). Oh and the hair. It's everywhere

You had a Great Dane live for 12 years!? That's incredible. It sounded like it was a hard decision to make, but at least he had a much longer life than most other large- breed dogs of his caliber.

junglejim83

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #87 on: November 25, 2015, 12:46:51 PM »
I love dogs.  Had them growing up.  I want one now, but to me the biggest draw back is they can be an anchor even in ways that kids aren't.  Unless you get it certified as a service animal there are a lot of places you can't go with it (especially if you don't train and socialize it well).   Do you like going to state and national parks? You can always skip that national parks for the wilderness areas and national forests.  But...

There are major limitations there. Those impromptu weekend trips are a lot tougher.  You either have to board them (expensive), make sure they are welcome where your are going or hopefully have family nearby that can help out.  Are you ok with forgoing certain freedoms of spontaneity for it?  "Can't stay out with friends, gotta let the dog out"

That said, they do bring amazing joy and companionship.  When my kid(s) are in middle school or HS and have sports or other commitments and our lives become more centralized then we might get one or two.  For now,  we sought out a cat with a dog-like personality and he is wonderful.  Another question is where are you in life.  I have a handful of friends that got dogs in the pre-baby nesting phase treated like a family member and all of a sudden they get pushed a side when the real things comes, which in my humble opinion is not fair.  On the other hand, I have friends who will always treat them as family members. 

So just be honest with yourself about your priorities.  If you feel yourself on the fence with some of the questions above but still would love an animal in your life find a cool adult cat to adopt.  I still consider myself a dog person, and was always prejudice against cats.  He came with my wife and I am glad he did.

Good luck.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #88 on: November 25, 2015, 01:51:41 PM »
If you have a small dog you can pad train it so you don't have to come home from work to let it out or in bad weather, etc.  If you have a bigger dog you can get a doggie door with the same results.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #89 on: November 25, 2015, 01:54:58 PM »
I had dogs my whole childhood, went without for my college and 6 active duty USAF years, and enthusiastically rejoined the dog-owner world the day (literally) I left service and went reserve. I'm a dog person, through and through.

The best parts: they're cheaper than kids, they don't argue, they love you unconditionally, and it's proven that you can lower your pulse and BP just by petting them. Also, mine have helped keep me in shape.

The worst parts: they don't all travel well, the cost of care does add up, they need daily exercise, and they develop behavioral problems if they don't get enough. They can't be reasoned with. Because we live 7 times as long, you're eventually going to bury them. And some people don't find the task as fulfilling as raising a human to adulthood, where you can actually see them become self-sufficient and achieve great things, and you know, respond as a sentient being in an intelligent conversation.

MM_MG

• Stubble
« Reply #90 on: November 25, 2015, 05:54:54 PM »
Most recent worst part of having a dog: shampooing your carpets at 1am because your dog is vomiting every five minutes from eating an entire box of chocolate cookies. 

Previous worst part of having a dog:  thousands of dollars of medical bills, and watching your animals suffer, because you failed to protect them from something.

Long term worst part of having a dog:  killing it.  Some day you will have to decide to end your dog's life, and it is always heartbreaking.

All of this in a nutshell + lack of freedom.

First few months to a year of their life…running home from work to let the dog out so there are no accidents.
Last few months/years of their life…running home from work to let the dog out so there are no accidents.

Being unable to just up and leave for a weekend or even a day if you can't take the dog with you.

Paying for a dog sitter or boarding when you go on vacation.   

We had to put our dog down earlier this year after 8 wonderful years.  But after $500+ a month on medicine, food, vet bills etc.  we are taking break from all animals for the foreseeable future.   

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #91 on: November 27, 2015, 05:52:58 PM »
Just shy of $1,000 out of pocket over the last two days; yesterday was mostly spent at the only open emergency animal hospital in three states (why, yes, the turkey did still taste good at midnight). Then follow up with our vet today, but the little girl is going to be fine, and is feeling much better already.

And she's the young one.

However, as I told my husband when the emergency clinic explained their holiday surcharge shortly after we'd driven an hour and a half to get there, this is what we have money for.

Oh, and also we have to put both dogs on a diet. Cue much late night whining. Perhaps I should press my husband to lose a few unneeded pounds and get all the whining in at once! (I'm already losing, and whining...)

Editing to add that the big boy was so happy to see us when we got back that in his excitement he knocked off my glasses and licked my eyeball before I could close it. Not sure, still, if that's one of the worst things or best things about dogs.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 06:20:13 PM by Rural »

puglogic

• Stubble
« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2015, 09:09:30 PM »
Do you have a fenced yard?    Do you have the disposable income, if something were to happen and you'd need to pay the vet $1000 tomorrow, to save the dog from suffering?   Are you willing and able to put money and time into training a dog to be a good citizen and good pet?  Do you own your home....or could you be displaced and have to give the dog up to move? 

In addition to all of the above, dog fever or no, to avoid causing an animal unnecessary suffering you really have to think the whole thing through, for the next 10-15 years of your life.  Many people don't think about the fact that they are a living being that needs discipline/medical care/structure/patience, and are a big responsibility on TOP of your current responsibilities, not just a cute thing that lays in your lap.  If you can be realistic about what a PITA this can all be, and still want to go through with it, then you should (but please rescue....our rescues have been incredibly loyal since giving them a Forever Home)

flyfig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #93 on: November 29, 2015, 01:01:36 AM »
Hubby and I have been fostering dogs for a few years and are on numbers 7 and 8. Highly recommend it- the rescue will provide food and medical. You provide discipline, exercise and affection. Foster homes are always in short supply which limits how many animals a rescue can save. And hubby and I have learned much about what kind of dog we'd like to have one day.

Always supervise your kids with dogs. Kids mean well, but young kids may inadvertently treat a dog roughly or will not recognize when the dog signals that he/she doesn't want to play and that leads to trouble for all concerned.

When in doubt- google. I've learned pretty much everything about dogs from Google and youtube- training tips, body language, grooming, etc. Plus talking to the rescue when I have a question.

Last 2 cents from me- check out several local rescues (again google). The people running the rescues can have very different personalities and philosophies and if you will be working closely with them, you want to make sure your values line up with theirs. It can otherwise be awkward.

fruplicity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2015, 10:21:37 AM »
I know this post is a little old now, but it has been a great comfort to me and only now can I manage to comment - yes, the worst part is saying goodbye, which we had to do 2 weeks ago. She was only 9, seemed to be in amazing health and had more energy and stamina than ever before. Then with no warning, a hermangioscarcoma tumor burst on her spleen. Sometimes if it's just the spleen that's affected, it's ok, but she had them on her liver too. In the course of 6 hours, we had a dog we thought would live at least another 5 years to no dog at all :( It's indescribable how sad we are about this and I worry and wonder when we'll feel better and when we'll ever feel ready for another dog without comparing it to her. Thanks to everyone else for sharing your stories, I'm so sorry for all of your losses.

Besides this worst of the worst part, the second worst was that she was 7 when we had a baby, and she didn't like the baby. She bit him once when he was starting to crawl, a graze on the face. I thought my husband was ready to say goodbye then. I was so scared if it would happen again so we decided we had to keep them in separate rooms at all times, or make sure one of them was thoroughly supervised if they were in the same room. That was extremely annoying and difficult, and also kind of heartbreaking because I was really hoping for one of those story book "my dog would do anything for my baby" type things.

That's the only thing I haven't seen anyone else mention. But we dealt with monthly doggy vomit for no reason, she ate anything in sight (and we had to make her puke if it involved raisins or chocolate, which it often did) so we had to always keep food off of ANY reachable surfaces and constantly warn guests to do the same. She also shed year round. We both worked full-time out of the home for 3 years of her life and started her in doggy daycare once a week for $25 a pop, which made her sooo happy. She had two serious health concerns in her 2nd year that resulted in one surgery, lifetime prescription diet and medicine, and annual checkups with a dog cardiologist. Her annual cost in the last few years averaged $2000. But we didn't blink at paying for any of it, or paying $2000 for "just in case" surgery at the end vs. immediate euthanization. Of course this is because I try to be Mustachian and we had the funds. I don't know how anyone who doesn't have significant control over their finances manages the financial ups and downs of pet ownership (credit cards I guess).

I really loved the reliable schedule of walking and feeding her twice daily, and am 75% homebody so I didn't mind having her as an excuse instead of going out and spending money. She almost NEVER barked or growled (this is my main worry with a new dog), and was housetrained upon adoption (a rarity), and she had a perpetual puppy look to her. She really was the best dog for us and we were starting to successfully train our son to be more gentle and and understanding with her. He is still asking for her and I can barely handle answering him.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2015, 10:58:10 AM »
I know this post is a little old now, but it has been a great comfort to me and only now can I manage to comment - yes, the worst part is saying goodbye, which we had to do 2 weeks ago. She was only 9, seemed to be in amazing health and had more energy and stamina than ever before. Then with no warning, a hermangioscarcoma tumor burst on her spleen. Sometimes if it's just the spleen that's affected, it's ok, but she had them on her liver too. In the course of 6 hours, we had a dog we thought would live at least another 5 years to no dog at all :( It's indescribable how sad we are about this and I worry and wonder when we'll feel better and when we'll ever feel ready for another dog without comparing it to her. Thanks to everyone else for sharing your stories, I'm so sorry for all of your losses.

This is exactly the condition that my dog we lost last year had, and exactly the kind of day we experienced.  I am so, so sorry.  Even now, over a year later, it is all intense and terribly hard.  We keep his remains in our home, and someday I'll find a place that will never be a developed and plant a tree with them, and he'll be a part of something alive again.

I don't have words of wisdom to offer-- it hurts, and continues to hurt, and nothing anyone says makes you feel any better (and if you're like me, every cliche thing someone says makes you a little angry, too).  Experiencing death is the bill coming due for years of love, and as hard as it is, it is worth the cost for all the joy they bring.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2015, 12:50:37 PM »
For me personally getting a new dog helps with the loss of one but does not help everyone. I had a friend wait 10 years between dogs.  I adopt a dog that does not have a home & that is how I personally honor those you have gone before.  Hugs:))