Author Topic: Please tell me the worst parts about caring for a dog  (Read 25236 times)

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
Please tell me the worst parts about caring for a dog
« on: November 20, 2015, 06:03:28 PM »
I have got dog fever in a bad way. Bad! I visited a friend today and her dog was the sweetest, like she loved me within minutes of meeting me and melted into my lap.

It doesn't hurt that she is the exact kind of dog I want, a 3 year old mini Golden Doodle, they are so cute! But I really want an adult dog, but forget the rescues, those organizations won't let you adopt if you have young children, my youngest is still 4.5. I'm not sure if that is to protect the child or the dog or both, it just seems so weird that you can Buy a dog and it doesn't matter the kids you have at home but if you want to rescue a dog then the stipulations are larger and more entailed and when we adopted our children.

Anyways, I really need some help with this dog fever, I want one so bad, for years now! Ugh.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Please tell me the worst parts about caring for a dog
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 06:08:54 PM »
Vet care and boarding are expensive, and you have to make sure you get home to let a dog out.  Sometimes they poop on your floor.  That is about the extent of the negatives I have with my dog.  Oh, and they don't live as long as you will, so there is the inevitable heartbreak.

I always say...dogs are a lifestyle choice, cats are not.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 06:13:06 PM »
Maybe you should find a different rescue organization. The one I volunteer with certainly adopts to families with children, provided it is a good fit for the dog and the entire family.

One potential negative not already listed is that the dog might have way more energy than you can handle. Again, with a proper fit, this isn't a problem.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 06:16:04 PM »
I have so far only found that one rescue, do you know of any?

The fit to our family is very important to me, also why I want an adult dog so the personality isn't an unknown

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 06:18:54 PM »
When they attack a skunk and run directly into the house after being sprayed and into every room and jump on the couch. Took over a week for the smell to go away. Had to get rid of the couch. (This has happened twice).

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 06:23:40 PM »
When they attack a skunk and run directly into the house after being sprayed and into every room and jump on the couch. Took over a week for the smell to go away. Had to get rid of the couch. (This has happened twice).

Oh my gosh, gross. Poor baby, poor you for having to live with it!

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 06:40:57 PM »
Most recent worst part of having a dog: shampooing your carpets at 1am because your dog is vomiting every five minutes from eating an entire box of chocolate cookies. 

Previous worst part of having a dog:  thousands of dollars of medical bills, and watching your animals suffer, because you failed to protect them from something.

Long term worst part of having a dog:  killing it.  Some day you will have to decide to end your dog's life, and it is always heartbreaking.

mikefixac

• Bristles
    • Uncommonly Brilliant
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 06:51:16 PM »
Get your dog. He'll bring more joy than you can ever imagine.

Worst part--saying goodbye.

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
  • Ferocious Accounting Beast
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 06:52:27 PM »

Seconded. I buried my Rex today. It hurts to lose him after 15 years but I wouldn't trade those years for anything.

Vandal09

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 07:33:37 PM »
Daily walks in all weather patterns? Wet dog smell? Big poops to scoop?

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 07:38:43 PM »
Oh, Amanda, I am so sorry for your loss. Definitely, death doing you part is the worst part of having a dog. And as Sol said, seeing your dog suffer is another one. With our dog, he is epileptic. A few weekends ago, he had 10 seizures. It broke my heart. We adjusted his meds and he recovered quickly. But other than that, I doubt there are any secret down sides.

mikefixac

• Bristles
    • Uncommonly Brilliant
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 07:54:39 PM »
My condolences Amanda. First day is pretty much a daze. First week is sad. In a weird way, it's a good sort of sadness.

You're honoring Rex's memory by remembering what a loving being. That can never be taken away. 

The_path_less_taken

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 08:01:58 PM »

Seconded. I buried my Rex today. It hurts to lose him after 15 years but I wouldn't trade those years for anything.

Amanda: I am very sorry for your loss.

Worst part of having a dog is when they have severe, costly, complicated medical conditions.

One rescue I've had 12 years, who I put down 3 weeks ago, had seizures after being hit by a car. So she'd pee/poop in my bed at times. The metal pins in her hip deteriorated the joint and the nerves, and she had no control over her bowels, and had trouble walking...it was time. It broke my heart to do it but it was the kindest thing...

At 4am this past Monday, another rescue dog had a severe grand mal seizure in the middle of my bed: hacking/flopping/rigid contortion/spewing white foam, while peeing/pooping. In addition to her seizure meds, the vet gave me a liquid valium shot to insert rectally to try and bring her out of a seizure if it's as long/complicated because "if they seize that long, they don't come out...I think this might be a brain tumor given her age and behavior".

So...we'll see. The vet bill was $391, the Costco pharmacy was $94.

That said...dogs are the best friend you'll ever have, they'll keep you active, and I wouldn't live without at least one.

And hey: they're a fraction of the cost of horses! (it's all relative)

But I second the person who suggested volunteering at a shelter: if it's just a part time jones for wet noses and warm furry cuddles....you may be ok with that.

Doubtful...

Cole

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 08:02:31 PM »
My mother's dog that I watch sometimes likes to spread his food all over the house... *sigh* great dog though.

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2015, 08:04:44 PM »
Warning...extremely gross...

Worst part so far (excluding death): cleaning dog poop out of the cab of your truck after the dog had a panic attack, lost control over all bodily functions, and then ran through it over and over smearing it all over him and grinding it into the cloth seats.

Second worse: coming home to a kennel full of poop and a dog with gums bleeding because he had another panic attack and chewed on the kennel.

Btw, our dog is fine now (8 years later) and only has remnants of anxiety. But for the first two years after we adopted him, it was hell for him and us.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2015, 08:15:26 PM »

So sorry for your loss Amanda, fearing that moment.

For my dog, he's done plenty of bad things over the years but hardly even worth mentioning as the goods overpower the bads by a ton. Vet bills were cheap all up until this month (he's almost 12). I'm 27, so my dog has been with me for nearly half my life, and all of my adult life. He's simply something that I've always taken care of and revolved certain things around. I feel like id have a huge gap in my life without him.

The_path_less_taken

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2015, 08:18:23 PM »
Warning...extremely gross...

Worst part so far (excluding death): cleaning dog poop out of the cab of your truck after the dog had a panic attack, lost control over all bodily functions, and then ran through it over and over smearing it all over him and grinding it into the cloth seats.

Second worse: coming home to a kennel full of poop and a dog with gums bleeding because he had another panic attack and chewed on the kennel.

Btw, our dog is fine now (8 years later) and only has remnants of anxiety. But for the first two years after we adopted him, it was hell for him and us.

I feel your pain. And have been there.

The dog who just had the seizure gets car sickness. I found this out by driving up a mountain road with no turnouts: while she vomited nonstop on my head from the back seat. It's a Ford Escape: she could have turned her head to the right, or gotten into the far back....but no. Had to share the love.

As for your anxiety pup: I had a dog who I thought would have a heart attack every thunderstorm. I started out with one benydryl, then two, then finally got him prescription meds and would play music at max volume to mask the storm.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2015, 08:53:00 PM »
Amanda, I'm so sorry you don't have Rex anymore. I hope you have lots of great memories with him.

Growing up we lived in the country in a time when not all dogs were indoor dogs. Everyone I knew who had a dog had it outdoors. We had a sweet Collie, boy she had a great life chasing rabbits and treeing raccoons.

This time it will be an indoor dog, unless we are outside playing all together. I really just need to find the right kind of dog.

Blatant

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2015, 08:59:46 PM »
There are no worst parts. If you're a dog person, that's what you are.

Our dogs are family. No amount of money is too much to spend on them. Not very mustachian, but that's the truth.

The amount of joy they bring to our lives throughout the years is immeasurable.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2015, 09:12:44 PM »
Monday my dog has a surgery. Low estimate: $950. High estimate: $1,300.

This is on top of February, when what was supposed to be a relatively simple teeth cleaning ($350-450) turned into multiple extractions including some minor jaw surgery and antibiotics ($850).

That being said, I love my dog. And I love Dogs. And I will always have a fur-child in my life. They bring so much joy into my life.

And Amanda: I am so, deeply sorry.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2015, 10:08:05 PM »
Crazy mystery midnight shenanigans just when you're getting the first decent night's sleep in a week. (My two say hi, or would if they weren't busy fending off the invading invisible raccoon army or whatever.)

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2015, 01:43:53 AM »
The heart-stopping fear when you think your dog is lost (he isn't, he just got fed up looking for you and went home).

They show you personality traits you never knew you had (they pick up physical and verbal cues like nobody's business).

If you aren't good at regular housework, you will either become so or lower your standards markedly.  Especially if you have a long-haired collie that likes water and you live in a rural/seaside area.  (I'm not saying which solution I've adopted).

You have to learn to plan your longer outings and travel, so that you can either take the dog with you or have someone else look after it while you go.

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2015, 05:47:07 AM »
I think just if something bad happens to them, and when they die. And planning their bathroom schedule with your schedule is different.

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2015, 05:47:43 AM »

I think it's also important to say, and hopefully not patronizing or something like that, that you know you can give the dog the time, discipline, exercise, and love they need. Dogs are not happier if they think they're in charge.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2015, 06:13:28 AM »
I've said this in another thread, but if you don't have a fenced yard and doggie door, remember: they still have to pee when you have the flu.

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
  • Ferocious Accounting Beast
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2015, 06:32:05 AM »
Thank you for the condolences every one. Today felt weird when I got out of bed. My first thought was 'better get dressed so I can go feed Rex' (he was an outside dog) and then I thought 'oh wait, I don't have to feed him anymore'. And then I turned on my stereo and just sat in my room for a little bit and thought about the good memories.

The heart-stopping fear when you think your dog is lost (he isn't, he just got fed up looking for you and went home).

They show you personality traits you never knew you had (they pick up physical and verbal cues like nobody's business).

If you aren't good at regular housework, you will either become so or lower your standards markedly.  Especially if you have a long-haired collie that likes water and you live in a rural/seaside area.  (I'm not saying which solution I've adopted).

You have to learn to plan your longer outings and travel, so that you can either take the dog with you or have someone else look after it while you go.

Oh formerplayer that brought back a good memory. When I was in college my mom told me she went out to feed Rex and his chain led right into his doghouse. But there was no Rex on the end of that chain. Her and Dad went looking for him, driving around the neighborhood and calling his name. After over an hour they turned back towards the house and when they rounded the corner there he was. My dad said he had the biggest shit-eating grin on his face. They opened the back door of the car and he hopped right in. Mom said he looked very pleased with himself. :)

So sorry for your loss Amanda, fearing that moment.

For my dog, he's done plenty of bad things over the years but hardly even worth mentioning as the goods overpower the bads by a ton. Vet bills were cheap all up until this month (he's almost 12). I'm 27, so my dog has been with me for nearly half my life, and all of my adult life. He's simply something that I've always taken care of and revolved certain things around. I feel like id have a huge gap in my life without him.

Trixr I know how you feel. I was 11 when we got Rex as an eight-week old fuzzball and I'm 26 now. It just feels so weird to have him gone when he was here for over half my life. It's gonna take a while to get used to not watching him run around the back yard chasing squirrels.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2015, 06:47:19 AM »
I'm so sorry about Rex. Sounds like you gave him a good life.

CabinetGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2015, 07:38:31 AM »
There are no worst parts. If you're a dog person, that's what you are.

Our dogs are family. No amount of money is too much to spend on them. Not very mustachian, but that's the truth.

The amount of joy they bring to our lives throughout the years is immeasurable.

Exactly.  We lost three labs to old age in a period of 18 months.  Put me in a serious funk for a couple of months, and I had a hard time finding a reason to wake up in the morning.  I'm not saying this to depress anyone, but damn, losing a dog is incredibly difficult. 

The SO suggested we look at some rescues.  And now we have a 18 month old chocolate lab that makes us laugh so much.  I get up at 5:30 every morning because he needs to eat and be let out!  And it gives me yet another reason to go to the beach on a Saturday morning.

So much joy everyday. And we still cry about our other old pups but then laugh at each other and say "Damn dogs!" 😄

Never a dull moment.  Sorry about pic size (too dumb to fix.)

FIRE_Buckeye

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2015, 08:14:06 AM »
Major drawbacks:
-makes travel difficult (boarding costs are no joke)
-medical bills can be expensive, especially later in its life
-the inevitable heartbreak from the death of what ultimately becomes a family member, or having to choose that yourself to save the animal from suffering (this part is miserable).

With those things in mind, the positives, IMO, far outweigh the drawbacks.
It's impossible to put a price tag on something that brings you such joy, and loves you unconditionally no matter what.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2015, 09:42:40 AM »
Dogs are way more work than cats. They are much more expensive to deal with if you travel (boarding is expensive vs. having neighbor check on cats 1x a day). Cleaning up dog poop inside and outside for the entirety of their lives. Dog farts.

I spent $2000 this week on emergency vet care and a dog neurologist because my dog contracted a tick-borne illness despite being treTed win frontline. She is a 2 1/2 year old golden and has otherwise been completely healthy. Wednesday morning she was paralyzed. Fortunately on the mend now.

You can see from my avatar that she is extremely cute and she has the best disposition of any dog I've ever known. So,Mathis makes up for the downsides.

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2015, 10:17:24 AM »
The good parts are worth the worst of the worst parts.  They are family.

I highly recommend volunteering to foster dogs.  That really gives you an idea as to how a dog will fit into your lifestyle, because it's hardest when you and the dog don't have a routine worked out yet -- so any dog that is yours will be easier than a foster. Plus this is a great way to evaluate exactly what you are looking for in a dog.

That said, we foster failed (adopted) our very first dog.....but he is a truly excellent dog, and we knew that we clicked.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2015, 10:25:57 AM »
After all these sad comments about dogs passing away I thought it was appropriate to point out there is a website where you can search any movie to find out: Does the dog die?

https://www.doesthedogdie.com/

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2015, 10:26:53 AM »
After all these sad comments about dogs passing away I thought it was appropriate to point out there is a website where you can search any movie to find out: Does the dog die?

https://www.doesthedogdie.com/

Oh god thank you.

I am still crushed by I Am Legend. SO NOT OKAY.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2015, 10:38:00 AM »
Most recent worst part of having a dog: shampooing your carpets at 1am because your dog is vomiting every five minutes from eating an entire box of chocolate cookies. 

Previous worst part of having a dog:  thousands of dollars of medical bills, and watching your animals suffer, because you failed to protect them from something.

Long term worst part of having a dog:  killing it.  Some day you will have to decide to end your dog's life, and it is always heartbreaking.

Forget vomit. I had a week long uncontrolled diarrhea festival with 2 weinerdogs both with the shits in a 1 bedroom apartment.  I eventually just covered the entire floor with newspaper from wall to wall.

But yes, the loss (and making the decision) is the worst part.  Amanda, my heart goes out to you since yours was so recent.  Been there.  It's awful.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2015, 12:26:25 PM »
Amanda, I am so sorry to hear about Rex. :(

To the OP: like someone else said, the good parts outweigh the bad. My dog peed on my brand new rug (sigh), once had explosive diarrhea (and I mean explosive, like it was on the WALLS), and is sometimes annoying when she wants to play or do something and I need to work or get stuff done. A few weeks ago she was sick and was throwing up and had diarrhea every 2-3 hours. In the middle of the night. And I wake up at 5:30am to go to work (sigh again).

My dog is very low maintenance but like someone mentioned, if you are sick, feel like shit, etc. you still have to take the dog out. Rainy and cold days too (I don't have a yard). On the plus side, sick and/or rainy day cuddles are the best!

I am not sure how I would manage a dog and young kids since they are not old enough to "help out," per se. My dog requires very little effort compared to other dogs - she sleeps most of the day and is not high maintenance - but sometimes with a busy schedule I struggle to give her the attention she wants. 

Wouldn't trade it for anything :)

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2015, 03:29:19 PM »
All the replies are spot on. Some rescues won't let you adopt a small dog unless your youngest is 10 but that is to protect the dog. I can't imagine not adopting a bigger dog to a family with kids.  Besides rescues look at your local Humane Society & other local shelters. You can often register your breed preference & they will call you when your breed comes in. Many pure bred dogs end up in local animal shelters. 

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2015, 07:34:44 PM »
I have always had a dog and will always have a dog, but the 2 biggest problems for me is 1. not being able to be away from home for more than 6 - 8 hours without arranging for someone to let the dog out.  2.  Dog hair everywhere.  I have been cleaning the house to get ready for Thanksgiving and dog hair is in every crook and nanny.  Every morning when I get to work, I have to get the tape out to get the hair off my clothes.  I know that some dogs don't shed, but those generally need a lot of grooming.    But I wouldn't sell him for a million dollars.

RecoveringCarClown

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2015, 10:03:19 PM »
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2015/09/07/great-news-dog-ownership-is-optional/

http://frugalvagabond.com/2015/09/17/dog-ownership-is-optional-and-wonderful/

(As much as I hate just dropping a link to my own blog without discussion, it seemed called for here)

Or uncalled for...this thread is completely one sided and you offer no differing opinion.  Balance is a virtue.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2015, 10:55:59 PM »
Dog hating people be gone from our dog love fest:))   WE actually have 3 Maltese that don't shed but the grooming costs are expensive.

mandy_2002

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2015, 11:29:41 PM »
I love dogs! The one thing I do not like about dogs is the anal gland that may go of arty any time! Okay, it's not that frequent, but when it does happen, it'll gas you out of the house. This is one of the things that groomers take care of, God bless them, but if you want to save money by grooming on your own or have a dog that doesn't need it, you need to have a plan. Apparently you need to "relieve the pressure" every several weeks.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2015, 11:30:44 PM »
I like dogs, a lot.   But seeing what friends go through, here are the worst:

1. Dog vomit on the carpet.  Again.
2.  Dog hair everywhere, dog nose prints on every glass surface, all the time.  (This one is not so bad, you know what to expect, at least)
3.  Insisting that your dog is at least 2 years before being neutered, to have a "natural" hormone system, then having to put up with dogs in heat, teenage dog attitude issues, etc.
4.  Dog that turns out to be half blind and wildly barks at everything, because it doesn't remember the postman (who now has put a dangerous dog note on your address file, just from hearing your dog through the door)
5.  Finding out you are highly allergic about 18 months in to a dog that you wildly love.
6.  Finding out your dog has not only dominance behaviours that make the dog park difficult, but possible, but now growls and acts aggressively to the new baby, so you need to rehome her after spending $6000 and 8 months on dog / owner training.
7.  Dogs chew up your walls.  I met a dog that would chew drywall and wood trim while owner were away from home.  big holes in the laundry room and the stairwell where the dog would be kenneled.
8.  Dog sitters needed for the weekends away, or long day trips.
9.  One friend ends up kenneling her dog for a week at a time, just to get things done, like painting the house.   Fees are enormous, several weeks out of each year.
10.  Some dogs need extra grooming to keep healthy -- something about glands and all that..

My biggest reason not to have a dog -- I work out of the home for 10 hours per day.  Some dogs are fine, but some dogs are such people pleasers that this is utter hell for them..  I can't stand the thought of leaving a dog with that nature alone for so long.  It breaks my heart when I see neighbors doing this.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 11:33:41 PM by goldielocks »

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2015, 12:55:22 AM »

(As much as I hate just dropping a link to my own blog without discussion, it seemed called for here)

Or uncalled for...this thread is completely one sided and you offer no differing opinion.  Balance is a virtue.

Indeed it is, but there is little conversational value in simply posting a link to a post on this very blog with no discussion whatsoever.  Most or all of us are MMM readers, if you have thoughts on the matter that are your own, those are merited and welcome, regardless of which view you take.  I posted my response to MMM's thoughts, because it struck me as silly to "link and run."

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2015, 02:24:21 AM »
I like dogs, a lot.   But seeing what friends go through, here are the worst:

1. Dog vomit on the carpet.  Again.
2.  Dog hair everywhere, dog nose prints on every glass surface, all the time.  (This one is not so bad, you know what to expect, at least)
3.  Insisting that your dog is at least 2 years before being neutered, to have a "natural" hormone system, then having to put up with dogs in heat, teenage dog attitude issues, etc.
4.  Dog that turns out to be half blind and wildly barks at everything, because it doesn't remember the postman (who now has put a dangerous dog note on your address file, just from hearing your dog through the door)
5.  Finding out you are highly allergic about 18 months in to a dog that you wildly love.
6.  Finding out your dog has not only dominance behaviours that make the dog park difficult, but possible, but now growls and acts aggressively to the new baby, so you need to rehome her after spending $6000 and 8 months on dog / owner training.
7.  Dogs chew up your walls.  I met a dog that would chew drywall and wood trim while owner were away from home.  big holes in the laundry room and the stairwell where the dog would be kenneled.
8.  Dog sitters needed for the weekends away, or long day trips.
9.  One friend ends up kenneling her dog for a week at a time, just to get things done, like painting the house.   Fees are enormous, several weeks out of each year.
10.  Some dogs need extra grooming to keep healthy -- something about glands and all that..

My biggest reason not to have a dog -- I work out of the home for 10 hours per day.  Some dogs are fine, but some dogs are such people pleasers that this is utter hell for them..  I can't stand the thought of leaving a dog with that nature alone for so long.  It breaks my heart when I see neighbors doing this.

I agree with all of these, particularly 2, 8 and 9. 5 is very bad luck.  Although -
1.  Dog vomit is usually because the dog was allowed to eat something it shouldn't, which is poor care or poor training.
3, 4  6, 7 and 9 are all owner problems (poor choices, poor training, poor handling, poor care) more than dog issues.

People who leave a dog alone at home all day are being cruel - dogs need company.  Even paying for a dog walker for an hour at lunchtime when the home is empty for 8 to 10 hours 5 days a week is not good enough in my book.  I would never have a dog while I worked full time, and waited until I was FIREd to get my first dog. 

RecoveringCarClown

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2015, 02:38:21 AM »

Indeed it is, but there is little conversational value in simply posting a link to a post on this very blog with no discussion whatsoever.  Most or all of us are MMM readers, if you have thoughts on the matter that are your own, those are merited and welcome, regardless of which view you take.  I posted my response to MMM's thoughts, because it struck me as silly to "link and run."

"No discussion whatsoever" Read the pages of comments after that post, many more posts than this thread.  I value efficiency and provided a means to more information and opinions.  It is a shame that you do not find value in that.

RecoveringCarClown

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2015, 03:00:26 AM »
People who leave a dog alone at home all day are being cruel - dogs need company.  Even paying for a dog walker for an hour at lunchtime when the home is empty for 8 to 10 hours 5 days a week is not good enough in my book.  I would never have a dog while I worked full time, and waited until I was FIREd to get my first dog.

Totally agree with this...unfortunately the majority that I know do exactly this. :(

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2015, 08:44:42 AM »
Depending on your dog's personality (and how much you have trained them...) they can make visits for friends uncomfortable.

Brother's dog really likes sitting on people. At 35lbs on small feet, he usually manages to occlude an artery or two. When we have friends over and Brother's dog is at the house, he will perch on them the whole time- covering them with hair, making their legs go numb, and blocking their view of the TV if we're watching things.

Luckily, we have all dog-loving friends, and some people visit particularly to experience a bit of this addictive yet maddening abuse by these fuzzy things. But that's a self-fulfilling prophesy- people that don't like dogs don't stay long.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2015, 09:24:10 AM »
I am a stay at home mom, and we are home a lot.
I wouldn't get a dog otherwise, I know they love people!

We do have my in laws who would dog sit for us and I'm pretty sure once my mom fell in love with him or her, we could bring them along when we go to visit them.

As far as grooming, I'm looking at a wheaten Terrier, seems they are non shedding but need grooming. Can I learn to do that on my own? I am a hairdresser by trade. I feel like I could do it well. What sort of special tools do I need. Can you pay a groomer to just do the anal glands?

I would love to foster a dog, it seems like it would be a great way to test drive dog ownership.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2015, 09:31:39 AM »
You can pay a groomer just to do the anal glands & if you want them to cut their nails they will do that too. When we both worked f.t. we always had 2 dogs so that they were company for each other & not alone.  So many dogs need homes so if everyone waits until they are home all the time many dogs will be killed by shelters for lack of space.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!