Author Topic: Please recommend a low flow showerhead  (Read 6122 times)

Setters-r-Better

• Stubble
Please recommend a low flow showerhead
« on: September 13, 2014, 06:56:24 AM »
Our utility bills seem really high to me.  Just got one in the mail for 488, that includes water and electric,  gas is an additional 46 to heat hot water. I want to replace the shower heads in the master bathroom.  Right now there are two shower heads and they both come on. Is there one I can buy that would allow me to completely shut off the water on at least one of these? And then for the one we would leave on, is there one you have been happy with? There are also other showers in the house that need to be switched out, but I'm sure the master shower is the biggest problem.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Please recommend a low flow showerhead
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 07:44:07 AM »
My favorite low-flow shower heads are from Bricor (I'm not affiliated with them, but have bought their products): http://bricor.com/ 

They customize the showerhead to work with your supply water pressure, so that it actually works/functions well.  I replaced a 2.5 gpm showerhead that had hardly any flow pressure strength (because the water company supplies the water at 35 psi) with a 1.5 gpm showerhead from Bricor designed for 35 psi, and the Bricor delivered water like a jet and seemed much 'higher flowing', but was actually saving water.

Derek

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 09:23:16 AM »
Niagra 1.5 gal showerhead. MMM recomended this in an article, bought it, better than our old 2.5 head. $8 on amazon. Highly recommend.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 09:34:39 AM »
i use the 1.25 gpm niagra and its great

Mega

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 09:43:21 AM »
Just out of curiosity, how con you tell what the flow rate is for your current showerhead? I am using a free shower head from Union Gas's ecosavings program.

Thanks...

LipFoliage303

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 09:46:03 AM »
+1 on the niagra 1.5gpm shower head

We're pretty fancy at our house and splurged for the handheld one going for $16.86 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KTQFXK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 10:02:42 AM »
I ordered a hand-held massage one through my electric utility.  Seems fine, Waterpick brand.  In addition to the massage/not option, it has a soap-up valve that reduces flow to a trickle to save water when you want to do that.

For your situation, get a couple of low-flow heads and also a twist-handle shut off valve, available most hardware stores.  Put it between the head and neck of the side you want to shut off, and you'll be good.

Halfar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 10:09:24 AM »
I have the niagra 1.25 and 1.5 handheld. The 1.25 left DW frustrated from trying to rinse her hair, but I think it is great.  I have seen a waterpick you can turn to a near trickle.

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 10:26:00 AM »
I've got the Niagara 1.75 gpm and we love it.  I was a little nervous about going lower because we have a shower curtain and didn't want the 'shower curtain attack' that we'd had with previous brands that were 1.5 gpm. The 1.75 is fine on the curtain. But I'm curious- do any of you with the 1.5 or 1.25 have shower curtains? Or just glass doors?

LipFoliage303

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 06:56:59 PM »
We've got a shower curtain and we've yet to be attacked by it :)

Setters-r-Better

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 08:00:39 PM »
Niagara 1.5 and a shutoff valve will be here Tuesday!  I Really hope it helps. The water portion of our bill is usually larger than the electric. 

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 06:44:26 AM »
If there were any good "low flow" shower heads, Mother Government wouldn't have had to force us to use them in the first place...

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 07:26:51 AM »
Huh?  I don't see any forcing here.

I am on a well, we have time of use electricity pricing, so how much I spend or don't spend on showers is totally up to me.  When I shower, how much water I use, what temperature I use - all under my control.  My shower head has 5 settings, including off. 

If there were any good "low flow" shower heads, Mother Government wouldn't have had to force us to use them in the first place...

Setters-r-Better

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 01:32:02 PM »

I don't think we have any low flow requirements here, and judging by our bill nothing in this house is low flow at all. I mean,  we haven't even watered the yard or anything like that. 

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 03:45:45 PM »
Low Flow? I don't like the sound of that...