Author Topic: Help with Verizon Jetpack  (Read 2686 times)

Ms.Cheapskate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Help with Verizon Jetpack
« on: January 19, 2016, 08:50:23 PM »
Is it possible to use my Verizon Jetpack with Republic?  Would like to keep Verizon phone for now. I have "old" data plan for my jetpack.  $80.00 for 10 gig. I hope to get a more generous data allowance for my tAblet and laptop for less $$$.

PatronWizard11

• Stubble
Re: Help with Verizon Jetpack
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 09:02:17 PM »
Is it possible to use my Verizon Jetpack with Republic?  Would like to keep Verizon phone for now. I have "old" data plan for my jetpack.  $80.00 for 10 gig. I hope to get a more generous data allowance for my tAblet and laptop for less $$$.

no, republic has "special" phones that you have to use with their plans and can only be used on RW. there isn't a lot to chose from either but I save a ton compared to Verizon and that is why I've had RW for almost a year and am happy to this day

Ms.Cheapskate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 09:12:33 PM »
I would need to be very careful in switching phone plan. Husband has heavy phone usage for business and Verizon provides good coverage for his needs. And we travel to Ontario/Quebec often. And Verizon is so expensive However my husband fears the loss of "good coverage and accessibility." So any suggestions on just a cheaper data plan to fit my needs?   

Thanks!

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 09:02:46 AM »
Republic also doesn't allow tethering, which is technically what you'd be after. Republic's a pretty low quality excuse for a "mobile" provider all around, but most people who love it jumped off of hideously overpriced postpaid plans straight to them and aren't familiar enough with the alternatives to have realized that could have saved just as much money elsewhere without the sacrifice, quality shift, or the proprietary phone swap just by only paying for what they need. Eventually this love wears thin with most users when common sense finally kicks back in and the punch is no longer drunk, but it takes some longer than others.

Check the guide, but bottom line is there's no such thing as "cheap" mobile data. The average going rate outside of bulk data purchasing and T-Mobile/Sprint loss-leader postpaid plans will run you about $10/GB. The secret to saving money with mobile data is to just use less... which is a lot easier than it sounds if you stop using mobile data as a boredom alleviator and toy.

That said, if this is for genuine business usage... you can't be afraid to pay for what you actually need. International roaming costs kessef. There's alternatives to postpaid plans through the major carriers that can provide this roaming while on cheaper prepaid plans such as through Truphone SIM and KnowRoaming, but the same caveats apply. I believe KnowRoaming provides the cheaper data and minute access in Canada - which is nice as KnowRoaming is a SIM sticker overlay, but no matter the provider, data is the most expensive of these plans and you should only pay for what you need. Not want, but need.

AT&T as a domestic network is usually pretty comparable to Verizon most areas, too, so AT&T based MVNOs might be a good option to look into, especially with the Verizon phone you already have as the SIM slot should already be carrier unlocked, simplifying the transition.... unless it's an iPhone, then your only decent AT&T MVNO option will be Consumer Cellular to ensure mobile data and MMS can be set properly. Though Consumer Cellular might be the better option anyway, given the addition of roaming off AT&T's network and more flexible package pricing.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!