Author Topic: Please help me plan a milestone birthday celebration  (Read 1952 times)

sandsoftime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Please help me plan a milestone birthday celebration
« on: July 04, 2017, 03:40:48 PM »
Hi,

I would like to plan a midlife-ish milestone birthday trip, and I'm having trouble thinking of something that fits my many constraints and preferences (see below).  Any ideas you can think of (destinations and activities) will be appreciated!

• Can take ~1 week off and will travel with spouse; trip will originate from West Coast
  • Want to keep logistics simple and accommodations comfortable - am OK with spending $ to help with this
  • Prefer urban-ish environments with access to cultural amenities, walkable streets, etc. - though might be OK with well-developed island/tropical locations
  • Would like to have a new and memorable experience at some point during the trip - maybe a special tour of some kind? something else?
  • Would like to avoid very cold weather (trip will take place during winter)
  • Not into adventurous physical challenges/activity or partying

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Please help me plan a milestone birthday celebration
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 04:10:29 PM »
I went to London and Paris last year to celebrate my fiftieth birthday.  If you're coming from the west coast, though, that's a LONG time on planes.

Vancouver?  It's rainy in winter but it doesn't get that cold, and there's lots to see in the area.

sandsoftime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Please help me plan a milestone birthday celebration
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 03:06:02 PM »
Thanks, Vancouver is a good suggestion!  I've been there before (and liked it) - I'd have to think about potentially unique/special things to do there.  (Ideas welcome. : ) )

Europe would be great, but as you mentioned, that would involve very long flights - OK for a longer trip, but probably too much for a short trip.