Author Topic: Please help me make gov't shutdown proof Joshua Tree plans  (Read 5028 times)

snuggler

• Stubble
Please help me make gov't shutdown proof Joshua Tree plans
« on: October 04, 2013, 11:29:38 AM »
Hi all!

My partner and I are celebrating my big 3-0 this weekend by visiting Joshua Tree. We are excited to see the natural beauty of the area, and to hike, but we are starting to wonder about how the shutdown may affect us. We've never been there, or been to a national park when it was closed, so we are trying to get some helpful knowledge from people who may know better than us.

If you've been there, can you let me know if the park is gated at all? Or if there would be ways for us to get in, even if the main (presumably gated) entrance is closed?

Second, let's just say, for the sake of argument, that people kick us out even if we sneak in through an ungated entrance. Do any of you have any recommendations for other natural areas in the area- maybe state parks, or private parks that permit entry for hiking?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Finally, since I'm already asking for advice, any other tips you have for the area would be much appreciated. Thanks!

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Please help me make gov't shutdown proof Joshua Tree plans
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 11:53:21 AM »
I've never been, but I've been to other national parks, and at both not all of the entrances are gated.  Good luck!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 12:04:58 PM »
Are they arresting trespassers?  Might not be worth it

capital

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 04:03:37 PM »
Hi all!

My partner and I are celebrating my big 3-0 this weekend by visiting Joshua Tree. We are excited to see the natural beauty of the area, and to hike, but we are starting to wonder about how the shutdown may affect us. We've never been there, or been to a national park when it was closed, so we are trying to get some helpful knowledge from people who may know better than us.

If you've been there, can you let me know if the park is gated at all? Or if there would be ways for us to get in, even if the main (presumably gated) entrance is closed?

Second, let's just say, for the sake of argument, that people kick us out even if we sneak in through an ungated entrance. Do any of you have any recommendations for other natural areas in the area- maybe state parks, or private parks that permit entry for hiking?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Finally, since I'm already asking for advice, any other tips you have for the area would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Joshua Tree, by my recollection, doesn't have all that many roads, and I have heard that there often still is law enforcement in/near parks, and it's hard to hide a car in a desert. Anza Borrego and other CA state parks aren't too far away (by western desert standards) and have a lot of similar scenery, though I don't believe it has Joshua trees.

theSchmett

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 08:15:08 PM »
Recall the members of congress who are keeping 800k Americans from earning a paycheck doing the  business of the nation. Then maybe the park can be reopened.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 08:18:24 PM »

Who's doing the arresting?!

worms

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 02:31:39 AM »

My thoughts exactly!

Although, viewed from here, the concept of public lands or wilderness areas being "closed" is so alien it makes my head hurt!

Nothlit

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 08:00:38 AM »

Federal government employees responsible for ensuring safety of life and protection of property are still working (though they are not being paid). So that means park rangers are almost certainly still patrolling the parks and can still perform all of their normal duties, especially when it comes to expelling or arresting trespassers.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 03:00:44 PM »

Federal government employees responsible for ensuring safety of life and protection of property are still working (though they are not being paid). So that means park rangers are almost certainly still patrolling the parks and can still perform all of their normal duties, especially when it comes to expelling or arresting trespassers.

Not sure if that was a joke by krieg, but yes law enforcement is on duty

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 03:22:15 PM »
Joshua Tree has two (or three?) entrances.

I believe they are all gated.

It's $10 to $20 per car as an entrance fee.

I'm betting that it is closed.

There are private campgrounds nearby (and hotels) in 29 palms.  But hiking and rock climbing in JT cannot be beat!

Palm Springs and Palm desert have hikes to do and things to see (Wild animal parks, etc.), though I've never been.  We just camp/ hike in JT.

snuggler

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 01:11:47 PM »
Thanks everyone. We did try to get in, unsuccessfully. As expected, there was a ranger at the entrance. The only other way to sneak in would be to go across private property, and we didn't want to do that.

The ranger was quite helpful in advising us of other beautiful places to hike near the area. We still are hoping to make it someday- this was our second unsuccessful attempt!

jrs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 03:31:58 PM »
I had been scheduled to take a rock climbing class in j-tree this upcoming weekend (oct. 12-13).
The outfitter rescheduled the class at Idyllwild, Ca. 

Idyllwild is beautiful, if you're prepared for some challenging hiking.