Author Topic: Playstation Vue  (Read 2714 times)

spolicas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Playstation Vue
« on: September 30, 2016, 11:22:08 AM »
Hello All,

I know this topic has probably already been covered, but I couldn't locate it in the archives. Anyway, I want to cut cable, but still want some channels (mostly for sports and a few shows). I know I should cut cable completely, but it'd be difficult for my family to go from 100+ channels to zero! We will cut cable completely at some point, but are trying to ease into it. We currently have Verizon Fios and pay $93 per month for cable and internet. I've been doing some research for cord cutting solutions and Playstation Vue looks like a pretty good deal. Vue is $40 per month in my area (NJ), but internet alone from most of the cable companies is about $40 as well! I didn't realize just internet alone was so expensive! So, I'm really only looking at a $13 per month savings.

Do any of you have any other suggestions to lower our bill (besides cutting it altogether) or have any experience using Playstation Vue?

Thank you in advance!

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
Re: Playstation Vue
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 02:06:13 PM »
Vue is about 100 streaming channels for $45/month. You may decide you only watch a few of those. We have a Roku device, and we use netflix ($9), hulu for recent TV ($8) and showtime ($9). There are other boxes besides Roku, they have a lot of free channels and "free plus" to check out. It's best to figure out exactly what channels you really want, and buy those.

Every few months, rotate your channels - drop Showtime for HBO, for example.

Sojourner

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 08:45:40 PM »
I was also comparing different alternatives to cable recently, like 3 weeks ago.  PS Vue was in my comparison along with Sling.com, but for me those did not stack up to the Dish Network Flex Pack I eventually went with.

Cost is $39.99/mo for the basic Flex pack (that includes a good variety of channels http://www.dish.com/packages/, better than PSV imo) and you also get 1 optional channel pack with that price.  In my case, I selected the Local channels as my option pack, but since you can get locals using over-the-air antenna (OTA), you may opt for the National sports pack that will include a bunch of sports channels like ESPNs and Fox Sports 1.  Presently, I am also getting the NFL network channel but I think it may be for a limited time.

Some other points to consider:
- Free install
- Free basic equipment (the dish itself, the receiver, all cabling).  $10/mo extra for the Hopper w/ Sling and 4-tuner DVR.  The Sling feature allows you to watch and record anything your DVR can do from anywhere in the world using the DishAnywhere app that is included for no addl charge.  Runs on tablets, computers, cel phones.
- Price is locked for 2yrs and will not creep up
- $5 discount/mo using autopay.  Note, there is a credit check.
- One cool thing I don't think they advertise:  You can add addl channel packs on-the-fly.  This means for example, if you want ESPN one week, but not for the whole month, just go to their website and uncheck that box...and the channel will turn off and your cost for that week will be prorated ($10/4 =  $2.50).  You can quote me on that, but don't quote me on that because I haven't actually tried it.
- They're offering $100 off referral perk if you start service using a ref code.  PM me if you need one because the referrer also gets $100.  Basically, you get $10 off your bill per month for 10 months.

The service can be set up using their online chat or calling in.  They scheduled the install for the next day.  Guy showed up next morning and was all hooked up in a couple hours (easy install at my location).

- The remote control is the RF type, not IR...so no need to have the remote aimed directly at the rcvr to control it.
- Addl TV locations within the house are $7/mo.  This is a whole-home system, meaning you can pause in one room and continue in another room.  Also, the remote Joey rcvr is a tiny box that allows you to control the primary programming/DVR features remotely.

I figure after 2 years there will be many competitive options for TV, but so far at around sub $40 per month, this is a good choice that works very well in the meantime and has a good deal of flexibility to add/remove extras to control costs as you prefer.

They throw in 3 months of all the premium channels as well.  I don't watch these much myself, but be aware you should go online and cancel them w/in 90days if you don't want to be charged for them afterwards.  I have an Outlook reminder set up so I don't blow it when the time comes.

Sojourner

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 08:55:44 PM »
Forgot to mention, the Dish option also means you will not be impacting your data usage via internet provider like you will with other TV alternatives such as PSVue, Sling.com, etc.

I didn't even realize my internet provider has a usage cap until I thought to look into it.  So keep a check that all that video streaming doesn't blow thru your usage limit and end up costing you more than your expected savings. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!