Author Topic: Planning for future vehicles - how many years/miles is feasible?  (Read 2407 times)

sjc0816

• Bristles
We own two vehicles.  2003 Toyota Camry with 120K miles and 2008 Toyota Highlander with 100,000 miles.  DH drives minimally to work and home in the Camry..I'd say 4-6k miles per year.  We travel in the Highlander to visit family and put around 8-10,000 miles per year on it.

How many more years can we expect to get out of these cars?  We maintain them well and have had zero issues so far aside from general maintentance. 

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
Re: Planning for future vehicles - how many years/miles is feasible?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 09:38:52 AM »
I expect 15-20 years out of mine, with about 200,000 miles total.  However, you may chose not to because repairs get worse.  Our 2003 Toyota corolla is still doing well but we have been in snow country for the last six years and it needs a paint job.  Our 2001 Nissian might actually outlast it because it has been in snow less.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 09:53:11 AM »
Engines will go at least 200k. However, other things will break due to old age. Muffler might rust out, plastic nobs break off, etc...

mrshudson

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 10:01:50 AM »
Assuming you take good care of the car, learn to inspect and actually diagnose what issues are imminent, and proactively maintain them (like, change intake air filter, inspect seals, hoses, gaskets etc. for leaks, if a rust spot appears, sand it down and touch it up with touch up paint and stuff like that) they can go easily another 15 years.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 11:50:38 AM »
We plan on shopping around at 200K miles for our 2005 Toyota Matrix.  It is at or near 150K miles right now.  It's gone through one battery, brake pads, tires I haven't counted, one clutch, shocks/struts, and two rear door handles.  The shocks/struts and clutch were the more expensive repairs, clocking in at about $2,500 total.  This was at the higher end, but within the range that I found was reasonable according to ye olde internet.

Our 2004 Dodge Dakota pick up has only 110K miles on and shows no signs of needing repairs.  Well, the a/c and heat only work when the fan is on full blast, but other than that, everything seems to be in good shape.

We always used to talk about driving these things into the ground, but we recently had a scare (car accident in which we thought they'd total the truck) and the idea of having to select a replacement vehicle on such short notice made us uncomfortable.  So we plan on making a change at 200K miles, and hopefully this leaves plenty of time for us to find a suitable replacement, and perhaps cash in on any residual value.  And old running car is worth more than an old not-running car.

I wish we were handier, but beyond oil changes, air filter replacements, brake pads, and door handle replacements, we are both kinda useless as mechanics.  So this is one where we have decided to concede and err on the side of caution and convenience.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 12:00:27 PM »
I'd be angry if I had a Honda/Toyota/Nissan and it didn't make it to 300k miles, which is what I plan for.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!