Author Topic: Places To Buy Slightly Used "Business Casual" Clothing  (Read 9214 times)

jpluncford21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Places To Buy Slightly Used "Business Casual" Clothing
« on: October 08, 2012, 11:23:07 AM »
My wife and I are on the D. Ramsey plan and our clothing budget is pretty cheap. I have been a field biologist all of my career, so jeans and a tshirt have usually worked for me. I've either outgrown or donated most of my "dress" clothing to Goodwill, etc so there's not much there. I've recently taken a position that requires me to wear business casual dress to work (khakis and button up or sometimes a polo). I've been cycling through about 4 shirts and 3 pairs of pants for the last few months and am in need of a few more articles of nice clothing. Can anyone suggest a website or store brand that sells decent "used" clothing, other than Goodwill? Thanks in advance for the help.

Done by Forty

• Stubble
    • Done by Forty
Re: Places To Buy Slightly Used "Business Casual" Clothing
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 11:34:45 AM »
We use a chain called "Buffalo Exchange" that has a store in Tempe and some in San Diego.  But anywhere that buys used clothing is a good bet.

If you know your shirt size, sometimes you can get deals on bundles of clothing on eBay that end up being a great price per piece of clothing.

jpluncford21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 12:02:29 PM »
Thanks for the reply. That's a good idea about buying in bulk from ebay. I'll look into it. I just hate to have clothing (or anything for that matter) that I never wear just hanging in a closet. I forgot to add in an important piece of information; I'm in E. Tn, although I guess most stores have an online catalog as well.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 05:09:13 PM »
I also recommend eBay.  Rather than buying bulk, though, I have specific brands that I know my size in and stick to those when I'm buying online.

mustachecat

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 05:12:10 PM »
Where I live, dry cleaners often have racks of clothing for sale that customers dropped off, but never picked up. They always have nice business and business casual clothing--and as a bonus, everything has been professionally cleaned and pressed! Maybe call around where you are to see if that's an option?

Done by Forty

• Stubble
    • Done by Forty
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 06:47:06 PM »
A store like Ross or Marshalls often has some fairly good deals too, if you're open to buying new.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 06:55:02 PM »
Do a search for consignment shops in your area.

cko

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 09:56:32 PM »
ebay. styleforum.net

But you have to know what you're looking for. It's easy to buy junk on there.

NataliaDuma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 01:03:08 PM »
Here's one you can check outMOD NOTE LINK REMOVED It is a consignment store that sells branded clothing but at a very reasonable price.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 09:16:49 PM by swick »

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 01:59:27 PM »
Here's one you can check out luxeconsignmentstore@gmail.com. It is a consignment store that sells branded clothing but at a very reasonable price.
But your shop (it is yours, correct?) only works if you live in Northampton, MA.  At least I don't see any way of online shopping.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 09:41:21 PM »
Here's one you can check out luxeconsignmentstore@gmail.com. It is a consignment store that sells branded clothing but at a very reasonable price.
But your shop (it is yours, correct?) only works if you live in Northampton, MA.  At least I don't see any way of online shopping.

Yeah, it appears to be her shop.  All of her posts on the MMM forums (except one) are about consignment shops, with her shop's website in the signature.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015, 10:19:36 PM »
Now that mmm has been on NBC or whatever, we can expect that.

Instead of building relationships or dialogue, just drive by posting.

My guess is it is a HIGHLY successful business.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2015, 10:19:50 PM »
hospital thrift shops run by the Ladies' Auxiliary. The ladies tend to be doctors wives and this is a good charity for them to run.  Get past that it is not 1955 and are husbands of female docs on the Auxiliary? They run the gamut, a small area in the bowels of the hospital to ones that are so booming they have rented space not even near the hospital. 

The women bring in their husband's clothes- suits, sport coats, casual wear. Plus, their own stuff, as well as what they take in in donations. When I worked in the hospital, we checked it out a lot, there were always $1 days and racks of men's really good clothing was only $1!  My ex is small boned, very thin.  I think I kept buying the same doc's stuff every time it hit the rack because it was unusual to find his size, lol.

I got a suit (I swear it had be that same doc because it didn't even need alterations) for $7, nicest suit I'd seen. He tries it on, it looked awesome.  I told him did he know the brand Brioni? Nope.  He almost fell over when I said 3-5k for a suit like that. I got it dry cleaned, he still wears it 15 yrs later, lol

my ex thought wearing used clothes was "disgusting", he shut up after the Brioni.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2015, 11:51:48 PM »

Yeah, it appears to be her shop.  All of her posts on the MMM forums (except one) are about consignment shops, with her shop's website in the signature.
And LOL, her tagline misspells "clothes". Gah!

fitfrugalfab

• Stubble
    • FitFrugalFab
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 07:56:30 AM »
I also recommend eBay.  Rather than buying bulk, though, I have specific brands that I know my size in and stick to those when I'm buying online.

+1. I purchase all my name brand clothing from eBay and my coworkers are non the wiser.

Jellyfish

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2015, 08:04:47 AM »
My parents drive to the fancy zip code neighborhoods nearby and shop the consignment shops there and get amazing finds.  They buy all their clothes that way.  The "rich folk" seem to recycle clothes seasonally that look brand new, some still with tags.

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2015, 08:45:20 AM »
Dress for Success is the Goodwill of business clothes

iamlittlehedgehog

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2015, 08:58:54 AM »
Try Plato's Closet - I've never had much luck with because they don't have much over size 14 but plenty non plus size clothes that could work for a business casual environment. Also try swap.com, an online consignment store.

iknowiyam

• Stubble
    • The Honest Yam
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2015, 09:06:09 AM »
Try Plato's Closet - I've never had much luck with because they don't have much over size 14 but plenty non plus size clothes that could work for a business casual environment. Also try swap.com, an online consignment store.
+1 For Plato's Closet and Goodwill. DH has found button-downs or polos at these.

fitfrugalfab

• Stubble
    • FitFrugalFab
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2015, 09:06:43 AM »
Agreed. I love Plato's closet. Even though it's geared for teens and young adults, you could get lucky with a few items. I have several work pants and dresses from there.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2015, 12:23:12 PM »

Plato's closet is geared to juniors, at least our are, but sometimes next door they have a store for women similar to how Plato's works.  I forget the name. I found prices high unless I hit a sale day

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2015, 12:58:54 PM »
I LOVE Goodwill, but generally I've found better deals for women's clothes than men's. (My personal theory is that men are more likely than women to wear stuff out, but that's not to say I haven't found nice men's clothing, just that it's harder.)

I used to love this online consignment-style store call Twice, but their tech got bought by eBay and they closed. I've tried ThredUp, but haven't loved it as much as Twice, and they only have women's and kids' stuff. If anyone has experience with another online consignment store, I'd love to hear about it.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2015, 09:30:46 PM »
...My personal theory is that men are more likely than women to wear stuff out...
Agreed.  Certainly my DH has clothes he can wear out in public, clothes he can wear in the yard, and clothes so worn and full of holes that he can only wear them in the house (and those are his favorites!)

The_path_less_taken

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2015, 07:53:00 AM »
Where I live, dry cleaners often have racks of clothing for sale that customers dropped off, but never picked up. They always have nice business and business casual clothing--and as a bonus, everything has been professionally cleaned and pressed! Maybe call around where you are to see if that's an option?

1+
Now THAT is thinking outside the box: kudos! Have to check that out sometime.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2015, 07:45:21 PM »
You may want to check out luxeconsignmentstore.com. It's somewhere you can buy branded consignment items. There would definitely be some items that would match up to your needs there.

Mods, could one of you please take care of this user?  She's already peddled her same website in this very same thread before.  It's pretty clear that her sole purpose of being on the MMM site is to advertise her store.  Thank you!