Author Topic: Pillows that Last...is there such a thing?  (Read 7116 times)

Edge of Reason

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Pillows that Last...is there such a thing?
« on: September 28, 2014, 01:35:12 PM »
Anyone have a good recommendation for a pillow that starts out soft but supportive and stays that way?  All of mine seem to turn into a hard lump after a year or so - regardless of price.   Scanning the internet, some sites/media say you should  replace your pillow every 6-24 months (!). I don't agree as that , to me, is very anti-mustachian and not so great for the the the environment.  I see a pillow as a bedding investment and a good pillow is essential to a good night's sleep.

I predominantly sleep on my side or my back.  Should I be thinking feather/down or stick with the polyester fills?   I want it to be washable and I do have allergies but think I can handle feather/down pillows if they are rated as hypoallergenic. 

BTW I also use dust mite covers (have for many years), and these are really great for those with asthma/allergy symptoms.  My daughter has not had an asthma attack since we covered all of their bedding (mattress included) with dust mite covers. 

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Pillows that Last...is there such a thing?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 01:50:31 PM »
We've had great success with the thermopedic type foam pillows. The foam can be the entire pillow or its core.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 04:00:19 PM »
I've had the same feather/down pillow for years.  Love them. 

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 04:09:41 PM »
Are you fluffing them every morning? That might help maintain loft.

I use feather pillows myself. When they start getting flat after years of use you can unsew them and combine two.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 05:44:41 PM »
I've had the same feather/down pillow for years.  Love them.

Same. I think I paid about $40 for them from Kohl's back in 2009. Still perfect!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 05:57:25 PM »
As a side sleeper, I can't really use the feather/down pillows as there is not enough support.

My chiropractor had recommended a Tempurpedic pillow for good neck support. I balked at first at the price, but I am still using it. I have had it so long I can't even remember when I bought it. Must be at least 5-7 years old and still going strong. I took it in to my chiropractor recently to ask him if it was still good and if I should get another one and he said they should last forever.

vagon

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 06:56:08 PM »
I think pillows and mattresses are areas where spending a bit of money (nothing ridiculous) isn't incompatible with Mustachianism.
You have gotta remember you will be spending close to a third of your life in there!

Disclaimer: as a freestyle sleeper (back, side even stomach!) I am not too set on any specific pillow

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 07:39:39 PM »
I got a memory foam pillow at Target, unspecified brand, for $40 some seven-ish years ago. No signs of becoming anything less than itself.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 09:39:15 PM »
I got a memory foam pillow at Target, unspecified brand, for $40 some seven-ish years ago. No signs of becoming anything less than itself.

I also have a knock-off tempurpedic style memory foam pillow (the one that has a profile like a roller coaster- dips in the center with a big bump along one edge and a smaller bump on the other edge).  Got it at kohls for less than $20.  It may have been only $10.  Anyway, it is at least 8 years old now and it is still awesome.  It might be a BIFL (buy it for life) item.  Okay, 8 years is not a life-time, but I can't tell that it is any different from the day I bought it.  Works for side (big bump) or back (small bump) sleeping.  Maybe works for stomach sleepers if you flip it over to the flat side?  IDK.  DH got a similar one a year or two after mine, and the zipper on the cover (the cover that goes over the actual foam, not the pillowcase) got stuck, but we got a replacement cover (from another pillow that was already in the house that kinda sucked) and he still uses the pillow.

The only downside is that the pillow looks a little funny because of the weird shape.  It's not a big fluffy domed thing.

I think the latest "trend" in pillows are those that are stuffed with shredded memory foam.  They sell them at kiosks at the mall with a bamboo cover for $70 or something ridiculous.  I just saw a two pack at costco for way less, either $10 or $20, currently on sale.  I'm tempted to try one, but there's really no need, my current pillow still serves me well.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 08:22:42 AM »
YES!! Buy my favorites pillows!!

There is a thread about Mustachian bedding where I gave a plug for my favorite pillows, which are from WalMart, the Simmons Beautyrest Classic Foam pillow, available in various sizes:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Beautyrest-Classic-Foam-Pillow/15541827

Why I love them:
1) They hold their shape, unlike any other pillow--they absolutely never smoosh down or need fluffing
2) They are relatively inexpensive (and if you order 2 of the lowest priced standard sized pillows from WalMart, it puts you in the free shipping category)
3) They come with a nice cover, but you can use an allergen-reducing cover and this makes them very good for dust allergy sufferers like myself
4) My parents have used this brand for years, and have only needed to replace a couple times - they bought more for the guest rooms when my sister and I moved out and took our pillows with us
5) I'm a back/side sleeper and love them, and my DH is a side/belly sleeper and equally loves them
6) Guests of my parents get a choice of pillows, with the comment from my mom on her favorite, and guests have asked her where she got them so they can get their own
7) I genuinely miss my pillow when we've gone on vacation and I can't take it with... And DH is the same way
8) It's a normal-shaped pillow unlike the tempurpedic ones with the dip

The Mustachian bedding thread: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/mustachian-bedding/

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 11:15:34 AM »
I had the same problem with pillows not lasting long enough.  After 1-3 years I'd replace them when they started causing neck pain.  Looking at the top rated pillows on Amazon I saw this.  Never heard of a buckwheat pillow before, it was $40 then, decided to go crazy and try it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006O8EJ68/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are cheaper ones available now if you search for buckwheat pillow.

First night was weird because it's not really soft like we're used to, but it conforms to your head.  After the second night I could tell I'll never go back to a normal pillow.  The thing is awesome and I haven't had neck pain since.  Been about 4 years so far, no signs of wear on the pillow.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 11:31:38 AM »
I go costco for my pillows, I have been a happy camper so far

AJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 11:34:41 AM »

Another vote for memory-foam pillows. I've had mine for years and it hasn't changed a bit.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 11:59:32 AM »
Pillows that last are very expensive! They have to last for a decade to make it cheaper than just buying a new pillow at Target every 1-2 years. I've resigned myself to the fact that this is a continual expense I'm going to have.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 12:13:35 PM »
As someone who could flatten a pillow in less than 3 months and has tried all types to prevent extreme neck pain, another vote for memory foam, specifically latex memory foam. I have had mine since 2011 and it still has kept its shape. Previously no pillow had ever managed that to the 3 month mark, let alone 3 year...

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 12:21:52 PM »
I mean, another idea is just to lower your expectations of pillows. Humans made do without fancy ones for thousands of years.

When you're sleeping on your back, do without. Better for your back anyway.

On your side, just use two flat ones on top of each other.

Adjust your sleeping position.

I know some people have sinus or neck issues to take care of, but it seems like most people could reach into their stoicism toolbox and figure something out.

(Full disclosure: I dislike foam pillows and have been known to bring my own feather pillow when traveling. However, I'm using the feather pillows I took from my parents' house when I went to college so they're over 20 years old so they're certainly not like the luxurious fluffy ones in the stores.)

Gremlin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2018, 03:46:40 AM »
i love feather pillows they are awesome do try them cheers.

Let's see...

Brings up a thread that's been dead for four years.

One and only post.

Link to online pillow store in sig.

Please James, do tell us more!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!