Author Topic: Pillows? Buy it for Life (or really long time)  (Read 3997 times)

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
Pillows? Buy it for Life (or really long time)
« on: July 03, 2017, 10:01:02 AM »
I'm looking for pillow recommendations. I'm a side sleeper. I've had recurring shoulder pain for the past 3 months from sleeping awful on my shoulder/arm combined with poor posture from living at a desk 1/3rd of every day.

Any recommendations? A usable warranty or easy trial/returns are a welcome bonus.

affordablehousing

• Pencil Stache
Re: Pillows? Buy it for Life (or really long time)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 10:56:46 AM »
I think the Ikea pillows are awesome and they're priced pretty well though you might have trouble returning them if you sleep on them for a while. Lots of different firmnesses and they spell out the models for sidesleepers. There's a guy who advertises pillows with a warranty on the radio but I never trust anything that advertises on the radio.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 11:52:00 AM »
My doctor's office recommends and sells these water-based pillows for neck pain. Also considering trying this cervical support contour pillow. Amazon's 30 day return policy would apply.

For living at your desk and improving sitting posture, I've found this lumbar support/office seat cushion invaluable.

Lady SA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 12:05:56 PM »
This might seem weird, but my neck/shoulder pain was greatly relieved when I started using a body pillow.
I'm also a side sleeper. Turns out my stabilizing muscles (back, neck, pelvis, etc) were working overtime during the night to keep me from tipping over, and these tired muscles were pulling other muscles (shoulders) out of alignment. As soon as I got a pillow to lean on, 80% of my discomfort resolved. I actually snuggle with the body pillow to my front and wedge another pillow by my back/butt to prop me up on both sides and it's so much better.

I also have an ikea pillow for my head and I like it a lot.

What do you mean by "sleeping awful on your shoulder/arm"? Are you torked in some weird way? Pillow too high or too low compared to your shoulder height? arm falling asleep?

also +1 to working on posture while at work. Get an external keyboard and mouse and move your monitor to eye level and your keyboard to perpendicular to your elbows. Ask your manager if you can get a different chair, or even bring your own seating arrangements (I've been thinking of bringing in an exercise ball to sit on!)

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 12:14:35 PM »
I usually have my arm out straight from my side causing my shoulder to kind of fold forward rather than stay in line while laying on it. If that makes any sense? It's the same at work I tend to hunch and lean forward on my forearms on the desk.

We just have maybe 5 year old down "firm" pillows that have now lost their fluff. I'm interested to whether the memory foam and contoured pillows are worth it. But there are a million out there. I might have to try Ikea since there isn't much to lose (other than the drive time!).

Lady SA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 01:03:46 PM »
I usually have my arm out straight from my side causing my shoulder to kind of fold forward rather than stay in line while laying on it. If that makes any sense? It's the same at work I tend to hunch and lean forward on my forearms on the desk.

We just have maybe 5 year old down "firm" pillows that have now lost their fluff. I'm interested to whether the memory foam and contoured pillows are worth it. But there are a million out there. I might have to try Ikea since there isn't much to lose (other than the drive time!).

hm. I don't sleep on the point of my shoulder (keeping my shoulder in line), either--that would actually put your arm to sleep because that would put a lot of pressure on a smaller point right by the artery. I've tried it before and my arm goes numb within 2 minutes. blech.
A taller pillow would likely help. A lower pillow makes it so you have to squish up your shoulders more to get your head onto the pillow.
Do you sleep on a firm or soft mattress? A bit more squish on the mattress means your shoulder can sink into the mattress naturally. My husband prefers firm (he's a back sleeper) and I prefer as much squish as possible. I got a gigantic mattress topper just for my side of the bed so DH can have his firm mattress and I can have my squishy mattress.

MrsPB

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 05:18:07 PM »
Get a memory foam pillow, they are more dense and supportive. I have found big improvements in general since getting one. I can't lie on one side more than a minute or two due a shoulder issue but I have found I can go longer with this pillow than a regular one.

MrsPB

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 05:20:39 PM »
I also got a custom fit chair at work as my shoulders are very narrow and so having my forearms resting on the arms rests was putting pressure on my bad shoulder as my elbow was quite far from my ribcage and My head and neck were kind of sinking down into my shoulders, effectively causing me to be shrugging all day.

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 09:02:24 PM »
Rather than buying a pillow I would suggest buying a physiotherapy stretch band and doing some exercises to strengthen your upper back. And concentrate on ways to improve your posture.

samsonator54321

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 10:48:48 PM »
I really like this one. It's full of little chunks of memory foam:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01ICK7ZHU/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1499143407&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=bamboo+foam+pillow&dpPl=1&dpID=51kapkmE4RL&ref=plSrch

When I sleep on my side I use that pillow above. Then I wrap my arms around a down pillow. This keeps the pressure off my shoulder. Even then I still had shoulder pain (but less).  I started doing yoga a couple times a week and the shoulder pain went away so you may just need strengthen your shoulders.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 02:57:04 AM »
Stand up desk, and no pillow at night.

Both take a bit of getting used to but give it two weeks and you'll be amazed.

munchabunch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 05:09:41 PM »
I too have a lot of neck/shoulder issues, mostly after getting a desk job.  A couple of things really helped me.

1. Fixing my desk posture.  I know, not pillow related, but I paid $20 for a lumbar pillow and never looked back.  I also use it for long car trips.  Making sure your chair, desk height, and monitors are adjusted correctly makes a big difference.
2. Pillow.  I have a tempurpedic memory foam.  Medium sized, pretty dense/solid.  Buy a water proof cover and it lasts forever; I'm on 9 years now for mine.  If you don't cover it, your body oils will ruin the foam.
3. Mattress.  Soft or saggy mattresses kill me.  We spent ~$1k on a really good quality firm memory foam mattress.  It really helps me, and also removed all of my husband's shoulder issues (along with another pillow).

Constantly reassessing posture also helps, but takes getting use to.  Good luck!

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 12:51:44 PM »
Thanks for all the great suggestions! I agree I need to find improvement on all fronts and not just one.

Our mattress is saggy. Its 10 years old and we should get a new one. But we are currently up in a hold pattern of short/long term plans and I don't want to plunk a few hundred on a mattress only to get rid of it in a year. We have guests coming this week so a more appropriate pillow was my first idea. The body pillow is a good idea I'll have to try tonight.

As far as other posture, I've been hoping for a sit/stand desk so I don't even have the choice to slouch. Its my shoulders and lower back with pain. I've always hated the fancy ergonomic chairs provided as they buy them for large middle aged men rather than petite women. I think my only solution here would be bringing in my own chair for now.

TrMama

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 02:54:15 PM »
Get a new mattress. Or sleep on the floor. Saggy mattresses are awful.

I have a pillow similar to this one, https://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Innovations-VERSACURVE-Memory-Pillow/dp/B008HOLQWC. I bought it at Costco years ago and it's the bomb. Still looks and feels like brand new. I'm about to also get something for between my knees so I'll quit having lower back and hip pain.

FernFree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • On my way!
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 04:23:33 PM »
I've been using this pillow for years for neck and shoulder issues.  I love it and even take it with me in my suitcase anytime I travel.  I have to replace it about 1x / year though b/c it compresses.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ET9TXQ/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_3_w?th=1