Author Topic: Pickpocket proof bags/coats etc  (Read 5521 times)

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
Pickpocket proof bags/coats etc
« on: November 27, 2019, 03:36:46 PM »
I just got pickpocketed for the second time in an embarrassingly short time.  Does anyone have any advice for pickpocket proofing yourself?  In this case it was my phone out of my jacket pocket.  I thought about buying something like this: https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B07G5SG3SS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A166CB2G8687IW&psc=1

Chickadee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Pickpocket proof bags/coats etc
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 03:40:31 PM »
Use breast pocket only for valuables or inside zipper pocket
There is on most women jacket no breast pocket so I put in front jeans only moved towards my center or if in jacket I keep zipped with zip down ( zipper goes from top down instead of down up ) that’s harder to tug up and would be noticeable if someone pulled and I tuck tab inside the top ,..... so example small bit open tuck the tab in - have to stick in finger and pull tab out so I’d hard to unzip

Chickadee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 03:41:50 PM »
Also as female I change my purse strap to a chain link option that can not be cut and wear crossbody forward.
I have also had my telephone stolen many years ago and now am smart when using public transit

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 03:56:04 PM »
I'd be looking for a concealed carry bag instead.  My wife loves her.... 

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 03:58:17 PM »
There is on most women jacket no breast pocket so I put in front jeans only moved towards my center or if in jacket I keep zipped with zip down ( zipper goes from top down instead of down up ) that’s harder to tug up and would be noticeable if someone pulled and I tuck tab inside the top ,..... so example small bit open tuck the tab in - have to stick in finger and pull tab out so I’d hard to unzip

I'm also a woman and none of my clothes have either a breast pocket or an inside pocket.  Maybe I need to do some unmustachian clothes shopping.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 04:03:26 PM »

I'm also a woman and none of my clothes have either a breast pocket or an inside pocket.  Maybe I need to do some unmustachian clothes shopping.

Yeah...what are these convenient and magical-sounding pockets people speak of???

How do you even pronounce that?
paw-kits?
po-kets?
poo-kids?

familyandfarming

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2019, 08:54:30 AM »
When I purchase any sort of jacket, I always search to see if the item has inner pockets. I've gotten Under Armour for the reason they have pockets inside of the jackets. I won't buy any jacket/outerwear without them!

When it's too hot for a jacket, I use an exercise fanny pack. And yes, my children make fun of me!

Have you noticed that cargo shorts/pants for men are still "in style"? Must be a reason...

Sorry for your loss!

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 09:13:24 AM »
I just got pickpocketed for the second time in an embarrassingly short time.  Does anyone have any advice for pickpocket proofing yourself?  In this case it was my phone out of my jacket pocket.  I thought about buying something like this: https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B07G5SG3SS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A166CB2G8687IW&psc=1

When I travel on a train I keep my wallet and keys in a fanny back under my shirt and just below my navel.

This location is unobtrusive  AND comfortable.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 09:22:15 AM by John Galt incarnate! »

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2019, 04:40:07 PM »
I've always heard that Italian pickpockets are the best. I mean worst.

I think the issue is that whatever you use, you have to pay attention, and this is tough to do when you're being jostled by a crowd, or a group of kids, or whatever. Under-clothing money belts (and neck pouches, I guess) might be the best move, although they're not a guarantee either.

As a practical matter, front pants pockets are probably the place you're most likely to feel people touching you. But phones generally don't fit there. Zipped inner jacket pockets are also a possibility. The bag you linked to, especially if it's inside a zipped jacket (this time of year) is probably an OK bet: better yet would be if the access zippers were on the inside (so, against your body). At some point, all you can do is try to make yourself less of an easy target then the other people around you.

@Malkynn, I don't purchase clothing without pockets any more. It's a mustachian move, because it cuts down on time wasted looking at clothes, and on shopping $, because so few women's items have adequate pockets (I bike around town a lot and don't always want to carry a bag, so any bottom that can't safely carry housekeys, a credit card, and a $20 bill is not going home with me.)

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2019, 05:07:08 PM »
Oh no, how about a zip-top purse or tote?

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2019, 09:39:25 PM »
Some things I’ve picked up.

Pickpockets will try to distract you and often work in teams. Knowing when you’re being distracted by some “helpful” person noting the stain on your jacket, putting something in your face, etc. is half the battle.

The best solution for wallets and cell phones in my opinion is a rubber band wrapped around the wallet or phone and the item placed in a front pocket against the skin. The rubber band causes a tug which you’ll feel if it’s being removed. Best place for a wallet in my opinion is front left pocket. Most people are right handed so it’s more difficult to pick that pocket.

Velcro pockets are great; very hard to open and not be noticed.

Fanny packs or backpacks can be cut off or opened with a razor. Not a good place to keep valuables in my opinion.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2019, 11:35:14 PM »
Also as female I change my purse strap to a chain link option that can not be cut and wear crossbody forward.
I have also had my telephone stolen many years ago and now am smart when using public transit

Its not that common, but a lady I worked with had a cross body bag with a strap that couldnt be cut, she was on holiday in Bali and someone came past on a moped to grab her bag and cut it off, because it didnt cut she ended up being pulled into traffic and then got hit by a car (thankfully the car wasnt going fast) she ended up with a broken wrist.

Just something to consider when having those types of bags.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2019, 01:40:25 AM »
When I purchase any sort of jacket, I always search to see if the item has inner pockets. I've gotten Under Armour for the reason they have pockets inside of the jackets. I won't buy any jacket/outerwear without them!

When it's too hot for a jacket, I use an exercise fanny pack. And yes, my children make fun of me!

Have you noticed that cargo shorts/pants for men are still "in style"? Must be a reason...

Sorry for your loss!

Are you a woman?  I've never seen a women's jacket with an inside pocket.  I'll have to see if I can find Underarmour here in Italy.  Not sure if their jackets would be formal enough for work though.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2019, 01:46:48 AM »

Its not that common, but a lady I worked with had a cross body bag with a strap that couldnt be cut, she was on holiday in Bali and someone came past on a moped to grab her bag and cut it off, because it didnt cut she ended up being pulled into traffic and then got hit by a car (thankfully the car wasnt going fast) she ended up with a broken wrist.

That has happened to two friends of mine here in the city where I live.  Neither had serious injuries but it was really scary.  I would never buy a cross body bag of that type for that reason.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2019, 06:01:29 AM »
For loose, casual pants, I've bought some for travel with relatively deep pockets and yes they aren't esy to find and aren't the most stylish.  Then I've hand sewn velcro strips on the inside across the top of the pockets.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2019, 06:16:31 AM »

Sorry for your loss!

I had a Columbia ski-type parka once that had an inside "sunglasses"  pocket.  Your more serious outerwear might have this stuff, or more sporty / hunt-y / campy clothing.

Are you a woman?  I've never seen a women's jacket with an inside pocket.  I'll have to see if I can find Underarmour here in Italy.  Not sure if their jackets would be formal enough for work though.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2019, 06:37:59 AM »

That has happened to two friends of mine here in the city where I live.  Neither had serious injuries but it was really scary.  I would never buy a cross body bag of that type for that reason.

Wow, this is crazy. I have one of these bags. I haven’t been to Italy in years but am well aware of the state of pickpocketing there, and my husband wants to visit. I had definitely been planning to take my crossbody bag but now... wow, I guess I’ll need another alternative.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2019, 07:22:45 AM »

Sorry for your loss!

I had a Columbia ski-type parka once that had an inside "sunglasses"  pocket.  Your more serious outerwear might have this stuff, or more sporty / hunt-y / campy clothing.

I have never had a coat without an inside pocket. I usually buy long wool tailored coats, like the ones that are fashionable right now and they often have a pocket on the inside. I put my phone in my jacket pocket and in my phone case I put my debit and public transit card. I have a wallet in my purse but it doesn't contain valuables, just loyalty cards and less than €20 in cash.

I've been lucky so far, my pockets were never succesfully picked. I did once catch a guy who was trying to open my bag - I felt something and instinctively reached out and grabbed his wrist on my purse. He freaked out completely and was clearly on drugs so I quickly let go and ran away. If I had caught him with my hand already in my bag I'm afraid it could have ended much worse. He really looked a bit psycho. I'm not sure if I would confront a pickpocket again.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2019, 11:26:23 AM »
When I lived in Honduras I bought a ScotteVest travel vest and wore it whenever I was out and about.  His stuff has usually 17-20+ pockets inside and I managed to fold the vest into one of the pockets to store when I wasn't wearing it.

I also bought a full jacket.  The primary problem I have is remembering into which pocket I put what.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2019, 12:51:11 PM »
I can recommend the ScotteVest for travel. I've used mine for years--but as a poster said above--it's hard to remember where you put everything. Develop an organized system. I'll also say that I don't carry nearly as much as the website ads demonstrate. It starts to feel and look lumpy and heavy. I've worn mine for out-of-state and overseas airline travel, and also for car travel...and for sightseeing both in the States (mostly Manhattan), in Montreal and Quebec, and overseas in Ireland--Dublin, Belfast, and tourist sites out in the sticks. I wore one daily for years for dog walking--you can put anything you might need in it--collapsible water bowl, water bottle if needed, dog treats, poop bags, pepper spray if you want to carry it. Cell phone and keys, of course. I like the women's vest for the lighter, slimmer look, but I've found that the original vest carries more and has been more useful. I have them both. I've never been pickpocketed, and I think it would be pretty hard/impossible for a pickpocket to get anything out of the inside pockets or front breast zippered pockets.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2019, 01:12:17 PM »

Wow, this is crazy. I have one of these bags. I haven’t been to Italy in years but am well aware of the state of pickpocketing there, and my husband wants to visit. I had definitely been planning to take my crossbody bag but now... wow, I guess I’ll need another alternative.

I wouldn't worry too much. Both the friends that this happened to were in residential neighborhoods outside the center, not tourist areas, so this is unlikely to happen to a tourist.  But be really careful about pick pockets here - they are extremely good at what they do.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2019, 01:23:12 PM »
DH loves his ScotteVest travel hoodie. Great products.

TrMama

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2019, 10:24:05 AM »
Following. We're taking our kids (11 and 13) to London and Paris this spring. I've heard Paris especially is full of pickpockets. I'm mostly concerned about the kids being pickpocketed since they tend to fall asleep on our local-ish metro . . .

We were planning on travelling by metro to/from the airport to our accommodations and we'll each have a carry on size rolling suitcase and smallish backpack.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2019, 01:58:10 PM »
TrMama - it would depend what the kids carry on them.  Do they have things like phones and wallets?  If you're worried about them being pick pocketed, maybe the grownups should carry those things for them in some kind of pick pocket proof bag?

Be really careful with the rolling suitcases. Don't let go of them even for a minute.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2019, 04:55:42 PM »
For pickpocket proof bags and purses look at PacSafe bags.  May not be spelled right.  I'll double check in a min.  There was a display of them at Costco last time I was there.  They have steel mesh in the linings and tbe steel cables in the straps.  I also bought one of their purses.  It is a bit heavy for me so I don't carry it much.  Expensive but seems to be good quality.  I may have been a bit paranoid while living in Central America.  No issues at all while there but had my wallet picked up within 24 hrs of getting back in the US.

Editrd to add:  I bought the purse several years ago when I was traveling more.  A bit too pricey to be a spontaneous Costco purchase.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 05:17:02 PM by shadowmoss »

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2019, 07:40:23 AM »
I love ScotteVest.  I have jackets, vests, cargo pants which don't look like cargo pants. They even make dresses now. 

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2019, 09:28:07 AM »
www.pacsafe.com

We use a backpack from pacsafe for our international trips. They incorporate a number of anti-theft features.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2019, 05:51:05 PM »

Yeah...what are these convenient and magical-sounding pockets people speak of???

How do you even pronounce that?
paw-kits?
po-kets?
poo-kids?

This reminds me of a 99% Invisible episode about pockets and the lack of them in women's clothing.
https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/pockets-articles-of-interest-3/

On topic... maybe you could sew (or have sewn) an inner pocket into the jackets/coats you already have? Also, these ideas may be more applicable to traveling, not being in your own town, but I often put my things in a shopping bag from a local store so it looks like I'm just carrying groceries or something. I've also read that having a "dummy wallet" can be helpful. You can either throw it at someone who's demanding your money, or you can put it in an obvious place so a pickpocket will go for it first and ignore your real valuables. Of course, that works only if pickpockets are few and far between, since it won't be there for a second pickpocket.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2019, 08:17:39 PM »
I love ScotteVest.  I have jackets, vests, cargo pants which don't look like cargo pants. They even make dresses now.

Curse you! I haven't purchased new (actual new, not from a thrift/used store) clothing in over a year! Now I kinda want one of those vests, even knowing that I'll need to alter it to get a not-square fit!

I hate carrying purses, so anything that makes it easier to live without one is a giant win.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2019, 10:17:34 PM »
I just ordered a new coat in the black Friday sales to replace my completely worn out coat.  New one claims to have an inside pocket!  Yay!  I think I may get some pockets sewn into some other clothes I own.

Now I kind of have my eye on these little numbers but not exactly mustachian: https://www.xd-design.com/it-it/bobby-hero-small-anti-theft-backpack-navy

BussoV6

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2019, 03:47:15 AM »

We had a friend who experienced exactly this in Italy last year. However, our friend is a.... rather large lady. Her bag was grabbed by a pillion passenger on a scooter. She managed to hold onto the bag and pulled this youngster off the back of the scooter. Scooter fled the scene and the bag grabber got a serious ass-kicking from our friend.

We were all in stitches of laughter when we heard about this. I almost felt sorry for the idiot bag snatcher.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2019, 07:37:45 AM »
Hah! That'll teach 'em.

familyandfarming

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2019, 08:41:22 PM »
In reply to the questions about the inside pockets in jackets. Yes, I'm a woman and I seriously don't buy any sort of jacket, casual or otherwise without that inner pocket. Look for a "media pocket". Here's a link to the sort of jacket I've purchased. https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/ua-storm-launch-jacket-2-0/pid1342809-001

Sometimes the inner pockets look like they are more of a structural element and not really an pocket, but a cell phone and small wallet fit easily inside. If you had to, you could probably sew such a thing inside your jacket.

I didn't get started on the inside pocket gig to defend against pickpockets, but to have my cell phone near myself while teaching high school. I have a no phone out rule, but when you have an aging parent, I needed to have it nearby, and the inner pocket hid the phone from view, while making it accessible. Thank goodness I never had to use it in that instance.

Added: Also look for outer pockets with zippers! Very handy!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 07:34:38 AM by familyandfarming »

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2019, 01:25:13 PM »
I have converted most of my travel gear to Duluth Trading Firehose cargo pants...pockets within pockets and even one pair with a pocket inside the pants that you need to unbuckle the belt to get to it.
https://www.duluthtrading.com/men/pants/work-pants/

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2019, 06:35:13 PM »
Following. We're taking our kids (11 and 13) to London and Paris this spring. I've heard Paris especially is full of pickpockets. I'm mostly concerned about the kids being pickpocketed since they tend to fall asleep on our local-ish metro . . .

We were planning on travelling by metro to/from the airport to our accommodations and we'll each have a carry on size rolling suitcase and smallish backpack.

We were in Paris lat year and were aggressively pick-pocketed on the Metro by a troupe of Kenyans. Be careful on the Metro with any sorta bags. And if the power flickers leave the station. 

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2019, 12:31:34 PM »
Diversions.

For pocket books, carry one on one shoulder with an easy to cut strap.  Fill it with crumpled newspapers.  Figure out other hidden places to carry what you don't want stolen.

For guys, an empty wallet in the back pocket.  Again, figure out a hidden place to store what you can't lose.

Either one, whoever is taking it.....moped team.....couple guys taking, then handing off....by the time they realize there's nothing of value, they're far away.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2019, 12:59:01 PM »

We were in Paris lat year and were aggressively pick-pocketed on the Metro by a troupe of Kenyans. Be careful on the Metro with any sorta bags. And if the power flickers leave the station.

How did you know that they were Kenyans?

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2019, 04:30:04 PM »

we were told by the locals and then by the police. They work in troupes so be careful.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2019, 08:02:49 PM »

we were told by the locals and then by the police. They work in troupes so be careful.

Had the police caught them? Or did they just assume they were Kenyans?

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2019, 04:29:22 PM »
Interesting. We were in Paris this past summer for a week and never gave pickpockets a single thought. Rode the Metro quite a bit and walked a lot and never had a problem.

I carried a backpack or a small purse that I wear cross-body mainly so it doesn’t slip off my shoulder.

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2019, 07:54:22 PM »
Interesting. We were in Paris this past summer for a week and never gave pickpockets a single thought. Rode the Metro quite a bit and walked a lot and never had a problem.

I carried a backpack or a small purse that I wear cross-body mainly so it doesn’t slip off my shoulder.

We went to Paris in October. Our second day there, I had a pickpocket almost get into my cross-body purse. We were walking through a relatively quiet metro station and got disoriented trying to change trains. I was wearing my purse under my rainjacket so I didn't have my hand directly on it.... but he managed to pull back my unzipped jacket and get his hands on my purse without me even realizing there was someone walking behind me. I had the purse closed in a way that I thought was pretty secure... the purse has a little internal clip on a short strap (for holding keys) that I had secured to the zipper pull. I guess it worked.... he broke the strap, but I felt the movement and swatted his hand away - he took off before actually getting anything out of my purse.

It definitely colored my perceptions of Paris a bit. I'd go back, but I didn't feel as secure or relaxed there as I did in London. And I might look into one of those travel vests for next time.

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2019, 09:37:29 AM »
I leave my wallet back at home and have a small folding leather thingy I carry.  I travel with 2 sets of different CC and ATM cards and non passport ID...I only leave the room with one set.   I carry a leather palm sized coin carry for foreign coins.  I put things in different pockets and usually carry a day bag with a hat, sunglasses and camera... more empty than full.  (Gives me a place to put something if I buy something later in the day)
Main CC and ATM goes deep into a deep front pants pocket for the most part.
If I'm entering a more crowded area, I usually pull my small wallet from pants and move it to my shirt pocket.  I then carry my day pack with a hand over my pocket.
Also, since I don't carry my passport, I always grab a business card from my hotel...in case I have to explain where my PP is or run into a cab driver with no matching language skills.

Full disclosure- I got picked twice in one year- once in Tokyo and again in Athens.  Had my wife not been available with the different sets of CC's, it would have been much more disruptive. 
Before leaving on travels, I would suggest posting on TripAdvisor forum a question on "What do I need to know about pickpockets in Paris?"  Often the locals can give you a good heads up of areas to be particularly cautious.  Also, before I went to Equator, TA locals said decline taking any handbills from people on the street- Rudely if necessary.  There was a scam involving putting a disorienting drug onto the flyer.  They end up taking you to an ATM and clean out up to the max allowed.  Our B&B owner actually had it happen to one of her staff members who was obviously local, so not just for tourists.

Lady SA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2019, 11:08:31 AM »
I have a small cross-body purse with a few anti-theft features that I always carry on the front of my body, and I habitually rest my hand on it while walking/sitting/standing out of paranoia. I don't even take it off when we are in restaurants when we travel, it rests in my lap with my non-eating hand resting over top of it so I can hopefully feel if something suspicious happens with my purse.

I was also told (not sure how accurate this is) that if someone grabs your cross-body purse, don't pull with your hands, instead immediately flop and sit down hard. Your bodyweight will unexpectedly throw the thief's balance down and over, loosens their grip, and you can kick out with your legs to trip them.