Author Topic: Picking up furniture from craigslist  (Read 4186 times)

BigRed

• Stubble
Picking up furniture from craigslist
« on: December 30, 2013, 03:29:52 PM »
I'm looking to buy a dresser on craigslist, but I'm not actually sure the best way to get it home for a reasonable price.  Our one vehicle is a Honda Accord, so that won't work.  I'm thinking that with the savings from buying on craigslist, renting something to pick it up is a reasonable approach.  But, how big a car do I need to rent to pick up something like a 5.5' long dresser?  Or am I better off just hiring a guy off craigslist to move it, too.

Thanks

snuggler

• Stubble
Re: Picking up furniture from craigslist
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 03:47:47 PM »
Buying a friend a six-pack in exchange for him letting you use his truck is much cheaper than Craigslist options.

Also, you might be surprised how much can fit in your car. Have you tried all options? Many cars have folding down seats and let you fold down the divider between the trunk and car.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 03:50:27 PM »
Furniture is also common enough that you can probably find something within walking distance and have a friend help you carry it.

sdeng87

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 04:33:24 PM »
Throw in a few extra bucks and ask if they will deliver it

Cooperd0g

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 07:57:52 PM »
You can rent a Zipcar truck for an hour or a truck from Home Depot if you don't have any friends with trucks to borrow.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 10:30:39 PM »
I think it's like $20 to rent a truck from Home Depot or UHaul for an hour or two. Not sure if it's mustachian, but you can't exactly strap a dresser to your bike (or can you...)

m8547

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 09:37:24 PM »
Put it on the roof. Or rent a trailer.  If the roof is flat enough and has some structure under where the dresser would be, you can just use a blanket and ratchet straps with no roof rack. If the roof is rounded it is probably a bad idea.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!