Author Topic: Physically Demanding Jobs  (Read 3990 times)

Jschange

Physically Demanding Jobs
« on: December 08, 2015, 08:39:11 PM »
So if all goes well, I'll be an  in a few weeks.Oone of many things that drew me to the field is the option to earn a healthy income on a part time basis.

However, many  I've met claim that you 'cant' work more than 20 hours a week, or you burn out. And it just flat out makes no sense to me. What makes it so different from other physically demanding jobs? I do understand that I need to practice self care and factor in admin time, but people in demanding jobs often work 40+ hours a week.

Does anyone have any insight as to where this attitude comes from, and if I should expect to work so few hours?

The current plan is to scale up to 24 hours at one location, then start working for myself 2 days a week (higher pay per appointment. Harder to build a client base,  and then as I succeed there to scale back on the original location until I hit a desirable savings rate)

« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 08:30:09 PM by LittleFriendlyGiant »

Abe

• Magnum Stache
Re: Physically Demanding Jobs
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 09:04:12 PM »
Please clarify what an RMT is.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 10:11:15 PM »
The problem is repetitive motion. Set yourself up for early loss of ability to do the job if you don't ease into it and build strength. Athletes only train for a few hours a day, or risk injury.
I am an older guy who has done a lot of manual work, and I ache in several places. I can fortunately still do most things I ever could, but at the cost of pain if I do too much. So, yes, it is like other manual labor jobs.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 03:26:28 PM »
Nurse here. My body definitely hurts a lot less after 2 12's than it does after 3 12's (or 5... I've done that too). That being said, so much of it comes down to being in good shape, keeping good body mechanics, etc.

Then again, I do prefer to work part time, so what do I know =P

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 03:34:22 PM »
Not sure what makes massage different? Maybe it is and is unique compared to most physically demand jobs (not that I think massage fits into that category).
I used to dig fireline 16 hrs a day for 14 days at a time; then 2 days off and back at it. After three rotations, you'd be grounded to fitness training for two weeks before becoming available again. It'd kill you without conditioning. It just almost kills you with conditioning. That said, those conditions don't compare to the most grueling positions in firefighting.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 03:37:30 PM by JZinCO »

Jschange

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 08:40:50 PM »
Thanks for the input. I agree that staying in shape, using good ergonomics etc are very important.  As I ease into it, I guess I will find out how much is the right amount for my body. I hope that I can do 2 2-3 years of high (30 hours a week) while I pay off loans and jumpstart savings, but if not, I will just work a few more at the end. I love the field, so I'm not planning an early retirement, just financial independence.