Author Topic: Photographers don't cut photos? I am hating on Lifetouch right now.  (Read 2388 times)

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
So my daughter's pre-school picture day photos came back. I ordered 8 waller sized photos and 2 5X7s. They print multiple on a single sheet to save paper. Never have I seen a photographer deliver photos without cutting them. I paid $$ for these photos and they did not even bother to cut. I could cut with scissors but I did make mistakes in the past.

Is this normal? Photographers don't cut the photos to size?

Sorry for a rant.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Photographers don't cut photos? I am hating on Lifetouch right now.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 02:42:44 PM »
It’s been 21 years since I had school photos made, but back in my day they never cut the photos (except for the fancy $$$ senior photos). And no one ever cut them straight unless their parent was a teacher with access to a giant paper cutter.

Ahh, good ol’ Lifetouch!

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 02:47:48 PM »
Is it only Lifetouch? Or every photographer is the same?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 03:03:07 PM »
My office has a full size paper cutter. I appreciate it.

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 03:27:58 PM »
My son's school pics were not precut and my own elementary school pics came all on one sheet. I don't think this is uncommon.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 03:32:11 PM »
Take the sheets to your nearest copy center. They will have a paper cutter you can use. I would advise not cutting more than one sheet at a time.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 03:33:28 PM »
I grew up in the 1980's and they were never precut.  I preferred it that way because you could cut one off when you were going to give it, way easier to lose that way.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 03:54:29 PM »
Non school photographers cut photos (well, print them to the size ordered). I've never heard of a school photographer doing so. What you experienced is the norm

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 03:59:50 PM »
Super weird. I was not born in the US and I am used photographers cutting them to size before delivery. Oh well, I will have to find a paper cutter now.

afterthedark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 01:29:59 AM »
I love the different way we use the same language in different countries. I’m assuming ‘paper cutter’ is what in the UK we call a guillotine. If you know anyone that does any paper crafts, painting etc they may well have a metal ruler and craft knife which would also work well.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 05:22:09 AM »
I love the different way we use the same language in different countries. I’m assuming ‘paper cutter’ is what in the UK we call a guillotine. If you know anyone that does any paper crafts, painting etc they may well have a metal ruler and craft knife which would also work well.

Ha yes. The only time I heard the term guillotine used for that tool in the states was while working at an art store, we had a massive one in the back for huge art papers. And it could've doubled as a real guillotine if we'd been so inclined.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2019, 07:48:59 AM »
Instead of a paper cutter, you could use a long ruler and draw a sharp hobby knife along it.

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2019, 11:21:08 AM »

I am originally from one of the British colonies and I am used calling it guillotine. But after living in the US for 50% of my life so far, I changed to "paper cutter". The word Guillotine gives me shivers as it reminds me of a head instead of paper. But I still say "Pavement", "bin", "shedule" instead of Skedule :) Old habits die hard.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2019, 11:41:42 AM »

I am originally from one of the British colonies and I am used calling it guillotine. But after living in the US for 50% of my life so far, I changed to "paper cutter". The word Guillotine gives me shivers as it reminds me of a head instead of paper. But I still say "Pavement", "bin", "shedule" instead of Skedule :) Old habits die hard.

Do you also say "bat-trees" for "batteries"?  A friend who was originally from Guyana (formerly British Guiana) used to say that, and I always loved it.  I have a colleague now from Jamaica, and I could listen to him talk for hours on end about anything and nothing!  Love those accents!

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2019, 12:13:51 PM »

Do you also say "bat-trees" for "batteries"?  A friend who was originally from Guyana (formerly British Guiana) used to say that, and I always loved it.  I have a colleague now from Jamaica, and I could listen to him talk for hours on end about anything and nothing!  Love those accents!

Spot on. Haha.

Blue Skies

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2019, 02:17:06 PM »
I've never had the kids school pictures come pre-cut.  I also have gotten photos done at JCPenney Photo and they don't pre-cut them either.  Only the more expensive independent photographers will cut to size for you.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2019, 02:58:51 PM »
I've never heard of US school photos being cut. Also photo packages from cheap studios (Sears, Target, etc.) also often come in sheets, not cut prints.

Guillotine is just one style of paper cutters (though guillotine style seems to be the most common) - I have one that has a guillotine style on one end of the board and a roller blade on the other end (roller blade cutters often offer blades for wavy or perforated cuts in addition to straight cuts). I've also seen small ones that are more or less just a small fixed blade in a sliding guide made of clear plastic (often marketed for trimming photos).

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2019, 04:57:42 PM »
I’ve never seen school photos come pre-cut.

A roller paper cutter has been a great investment.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2019, 10:30:34 AM »
I've never had school photos come pre-cut. Lifetouch seems to have a monopoly on school photos. They also run the JC Penny photo studio. School photos are $$$$$ marked up and - at least for my kids - look terrible. I've started taking my kids for annual photos at JC Penny when they a have a special like $4.99 per photo sheet (which is 4 3x5s per sheet, 8 wallets per sheet, etc.). Plus you get to pick the photos you want, rather than getting the one that the school photographer takes.

JC Penny photos also come in an uncut sheet.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!