Author Topic: Phone recommendations? My phone was stolen last night. :(  (Read 5583 times)

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
Phone recommendations? My phone was stolen last night. :(
« on: March 25, 2014, 11:48:39 AM »
It was an iPhone 3GS, old in terms of technology I suppose, and probably not terribly valuable but it was valuable to me.  It was paid for and it worked.  Find my iPhone didn't find it and the Airvoice Wireless site says I have no active account when I put in my number.  So I guess that means they took the sim card out. I guess.  I don't understand much of how it all works, honestly.

**edit:  I just got the bright idea (duh) to call Airvoice Wireless.  My phone was back to active (?) so they are blocking it.  And I canceled my auto-renewel.  This doesn't change much, but I thought it was interesting  that there was no active account last night and now it's back.  I have tried calling my number- it went straight to my voicemail outgoing message.

So I guess I'm in the market for a new phone.  I would like to stick with a smartphone, but I'm not certain it has to remain Apple.  But if I were to switch to non-Apple, do things still work in terms of apps and compatibility?  We only have Macs in our home and that's also what I use at work.  I don't know what happens when you plug in a non-Apple phone into a Mac because I've never done it.  Does iTunes still pop up so you can manage your apps and do backups, etc?  Do the apps I've already bought transfer over?  All my contacts, stuff like that?  Do non-Apple phones communicate with iCloud? Sorry for my dumb questions but I've only ever had the one smartphone, my now long-gone iPhone.  Before "Mustachian" was ever a part of my vocabulary, I would have gone to a store where I would purchase a new phone to ask all these questions.  But now that I know I don't have to pay a gazillion dollars a month for phone service, I won't be going into an Apple store or an AT&T store and buying a new phone and adding it to my plan.  If I decide to stick with iPhone, I'll get a used one and set it up with Airvoice.  But I'm curious about those phones offered through Republic Wireless, and I know there are many more options as well.  I just don't know how those options fit in with the technology I already have.  Thanks for any input.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 12:29:42 PM by Freckles »

MrCash

• Stubble
    • OurCashHouse
Re: Phone recommendations? My phone was stolen last night. :(
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 11:50:14 AM »
Get a Moto G from Republic Wireless!  Moto G will be coming out in April for only $149 and no-contract plans as low as $5/month!

As to compatibility with your other devices, I would talk to people on the Republic Wireless forums.  And since it uses Android, it's pretty likely that someone out there has made an app to do whatever you need it to do.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 11:52:55 AM by MrCash »

matchewed

• Magnum Stache

MountainFlower

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 12:11:31 PM »
Wow, that stinks. 

I bought an inexpensive Windows Phone (Nokia Lumia 520) from amazon for about $140.  I really like it.  Windows has it's own skydrive and other things like itunes, etc. but not the same.  It probably does work with itunes, I just haven't tried it.  I have no idea how it would interact with your macs, but your computer would probably just see it like any other USB device.   

However, I thought I'd throw it out there as an option for others who find this thread.  I personally really like the windows 8 phone platform.  I'm using it with Airvoice. 

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 12:36:59 PM »
Get a Moto G from Republic Wireless!  Moto G will be coming out in April for only $149 and no-contract plans as low as $5/month!

As to compatibility with your other devices, I would talk to people on the Republic Wireless forums.  And since it uses Android, it's pretty likely that someone out there has made an app to do whatever you need it to do.

The Republic Wireless forums is a good suggestion.  I wouldn't have thought of that, thanks Mr Cash.  I had heard about the new phone with Republic Wireless but I wonder when in April it's coming out.  I wonder how long I want to be without a phone?  It doesn't help that my husband's in Alaska right now.  Being soley in charge of two little kids and working full-time makes me wary of being unreachable.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 12:40:18 PM »
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/communications-tech-isps-voip-cell-version-2/

Probably start here.

It's thanks to IP and his thread that never quits that I know as much about cell service and plans as I do.  Which is, admittedly, not a lot.  I don't understand all the acronyms but his help is how I was able to switch from AT&T to Airvoice in the first place, and also how I switched our home internet and phone service.  But I don't see anything there about the Apple/non-Apple questions I have.  I will use it to figure out which phone to buy once I know if I should stick with iPhones or branch out to something else.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 12:53:15 PM »
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/communications-tech-isps-voip-cell-version-2/

Probably start here.

Ooh, I just found the Superguide discussion thread.  Maybe I'll find some answers in there.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 03:29:54 PM »
The advantage of Apple devices is that they can be fixed at any Apple store and numerous non-Apple stores.

When my phone breaks (it just did), it means mailing it to the manufacturer and being without one for weeks.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 03:55:21 PM »
That is a good point.  I love the Apple store.  Walking in there is just heaven to me because they scoop you up, fix all your problems with a smile and no pressure, and send you off all happy.  Ahhhh.  If only all dealings in life could be like an Apple store experience.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 04:28:23 PM »
Freckles, if you need any specifics answered... just drop me a PM, I'd be happy to help sherpa you through your needs list and help find you a good phone fit. In the mean time, I'd recommend sticking with Airvoice and having them transfer your number and balance to a new SIM card. As for a replacement, the listings are a bit out of date, but I try to maintain some decent GSM phone recommendations in the Shopping Hut (this is a referral link, but it doesn't mean you can't look up the phones on Amazon or Ebay without it).

ChrisM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 07:05:20 PM »
I just purchased an unlocked Moto G for $199.  I've been using it on Ptel with Pay as you go, but I'm switching over to Airvoice this week.  I've been really impressed with the phone so far.  It's really pretty great at that price point.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 01:54:45 PM »
Thanks, guys.  That Moto G does look pretty nice.  I'll send you message, Mr. Daley.  Thanks for your willingness to help. 

MissPeach

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 02:26:15 PM »
Wow, that stinks. 

I bought an inexpensive Windows Phone (Nokia Lumia 520) from amazon for about $140.  I really like it.  Windows has it's own skydrive and other things like itunes, etc. but not the same.  It probably does work with itunes, I just haven't tried it.  I have no idea how it would interact with your macs, but your computer would probably just see it like any other USB device.   

However, I thought I'd throw it out there as an option for others who find this thread.  I personally really like the windows 8 phone platform.  I'm using it with Airvoice.

You can get the Nokia Lumias in the Windows store for as low as $65 now. Just bought one a few weeks ago. It's not as good as the iphone IMO but it's only $65! It's a great smartphone for $65.

I had something similar happen recently (bad drop on my old iphone) and it wasn't worth repairing because parts were more than I paid for the phone. I wanted to keep all my apple stuff and didn't want to spend all the time converting all my apple stuff, I wanted the camera, etc. so I did go ahead with the iphone after trying the Nokia and the Sony Xperia for a while. I know it's anti-Mustachian but I was too frustrated with the android operating system. I don't like windows in comparison to IOS but I do prefer it to android.

If you aren't tied to IOS and want to save the money I would consider the Nokia phone. The only downside IMO is the camera (but it's no worse than the 3GS).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 02:28:50 PM by MissPeach »

fixer-upper

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 02:41:41 PM »
If you're not set on new, you can pick up a decent deal on CL.  I bought a used 16 gig 4s for $150 last week.