Author Topic: Personal hygiene[example level]  (Read 2990 times)

Stahlmann

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Personal hygiene[example level]
« on: September 27, 2016, 01:53:50 AM »
Hi!

I am coming from more ,,theorethical" background (I have read Jacob ERE book) , but I need ,,practical" solution (I am still learning) for those problems.

How do you optimize following expenses?
1. Cleaning your mouth (I mean toothpaste) (In Europe I cant find anything bigger than 60ml) (I heard about making my own)
2. Cleaning gel (for your body) (In Europe I cant find anything bigger than 500ml) (I have heard about making my own)
3. Deodorant (In Europe I cant find anything bigger than 100g Alum-(K) stick)

Cheers
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 01:55:58 AM by Stahlmann »

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
Re: Personal hygiene[example level]
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 02:00:24 AM »
It's such a low expense, just buy it and use sparingly.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 04:10:08 AM »
You can optimise by buying when they are on offer rather than bigger packs.

purple monkey

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 06:51:01 AM »
Hi!

I am coming from more ,,theorethical" background (I have read Jacob ERE book) , but I need ,,practical" solution (I am still learning) for those problems.

How do you optimize following expenses?
1. Cleaning your mouth (I mean toothpaste) (In Europe I cant find anything bigger than 60ml) (I heard about making my own)
2. Cleaning gel (for your body) (In Europe I cant find anything bigger than 500ml) (I have heard about making my own)
3. Deodorant (In Europe I cant find anything bigger than 100g Alum-(K) stick)

Cheers

I have been able to make toothpaste very cheaply.  There are many good recipes on the internet that have similar ingredients.

I have found Ivory soap to be very cheap and better than creating gel.

I have yet to find a deodorant solution to make myself.

HTH. 

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 07:02:04 AM »

It might be more in Europe?

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 07:08:04 AM »
Wait for a sale and stock up. Or does Europe not do as many sales? Have you thought about buying larger quantities online? What about your country's Amazon page. Do you ever go on vacation somewhere cheaper? I'm not saying go on vacation to buy cheaper toiletries, but while in said cheaper European country you could buy 10 tubes of toothpaste or whatever.

Using less also works. You don't need much toothpaste on your toothbrush. 

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 07:08:39 AM »
coconut oil, baking soda, stevia, and mint make a good toothpaste, or so I've heard.  (I just buy it.)

I don't use soap on my body usually.  Just a washcloth and water.  Not because of frugality, but because of skin sensitivity.

I also don't use deodorant.  I've got genetics on my side, and I don't sweat or smell much.  But maybe you don't smell as bad as you think you do.  My DH (who is more average in terms of sweat/smell genetics) uses deodorant only 2x/week.  Because he only puts it on after he showers, which is 2x a week.  I also shower this frequently (or infrequently...)  He probably doesn't need to use it at all, but I think he just continues to do so out of habit.

If you are using an antiperspirant with aluminum in it, try to switch to a deodorant w/o it.  Then start skipping days and see what you can "get away" with.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 07:19:36 AM »

This.  I buy inexpensive brands when they are on sale and don't waste them.  It's so inexpensive, I can't imagine making my own toothpaste etc.  I have hard water and bar soap creates horrible soap scum that inexpensive shower gel does not.  I would waste even more time and cleaning products trying to scrub the soap scum off the shower, and no, vinegar/baking soda doesn't work on it.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 07:26:29 AM »
We learned a fantastic solution to the underarm body odor here on the forums, that lets both of us get away with not using deodorant most of the time.  Wet a washrag with about a tablespoon of Isopropyl Alcohol and swipe your underarms.  I do it every few weeks, DH at least once a week (but his b.o. is much stronger than mine).  Works beautifully to clear out unpleasant flora and reset your scent.

On days that I know I'm going to be sweating heavy, I am now able to use the crystal type deodorant effectively, where before the alcohol treatment, was not successful.   

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 08:03:37 AM »
Not worth the effort to spend much time to make yourself.  As others have said, try to buy on sale and stock up (if you have room, which I DON'T have much of...).  Personally, I only use deoderant when I go to work (don't have much odor).   Body washes (I prefer them because they leave less mess in the shower versus bars of soap...) are generally more expensive than bar soap, so use just a dab in a puffer or washcloth.