Author Topic: Personal Capital Advisor - 'free' session?  (Read 1877 times)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
Personal Capital Advisor - 'free' session?
« on: May 27, 2016, 10:39:36 AM »
Hey guys,

Have any of you actually done the free consultation/advising session with Personal Capital upon signing up? They're pretty relentless about calling me to touch base with my account which I've had open for almost 2 years now. I typically just let the calls go unanswered because I don't want to deal with sales pitches, etc. I'm assuming that's what this would be but am also just curious if anyone has talked with them and what they go over, and if you think it's worth just doing the first complimentary session or whatever.

Thoughts?

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
Re: Personal Capital Advisor - 'free' session?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 10:40:56 AM »
I don't think it was worth the time, but they did point out that I had too much of a mid-cap weight. It was not super pushy.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
Re: Personal Capital Advisor - 'free' session?
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 10:30:09 AM »
It'll be two phone sessions.  The first will be mostly fact-finding about you, your goals, investment strategies, etc.  The second will be to present you with a theoretical portfolio that they'd create and manage for you.  I also pushed them off for a year because I just really like their software and don't need their other services.  I finally relented a couple months ago and did the full interview process.  The guy wasn't pushy and answered my questions.  I didn't try to intentionally stump him, but I pointed out that I was doing very well without him and he admitted convincing me to sign up with them would be a tough sell.  It was refreshing for him to not completely blow me off like a lot of other financial salesmen would and we parted ways at the end.  Depending on your portfolio it's possible they'll tell you something useful that you can apply to your own investing strategy.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!