Author Topic: PDF to Kindle conversion  (Read 6347 times)

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
PDF to Kindle conversion
« on: July 24, 2015, 02:57:28 PM »
Any mustachians have an idea on how to do a PDF to Kindle conversion?

Long, long ago, before there was a world wide web, I put together a Indian cookbook and put it out on the internet (yes, the internet existed before the web). This was formatted in a language called LaTex (still used by academicians).
I don't believe that I have a LaTex version of the book, but I have the pdf of the book.

I tried some of the free formatters available on the web, but it does not seem to work.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

BTW, if you want the pdf of the book, it is here. http://redchutney.com/Book/IndianRecipes.pdf

rpr

• Pencil Stache
Re: PDF to Kindle conversion
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 03:34:59 PM »
Recipes look great.

Would you happen to have the postscript version of it? It looks to me like the pdf was generated from a raster-scan.  The best would obviously be if you can find the latex version.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 03:36:57 PM »
Calibre?

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 03:44:01 PM »
I was able to download a PS version and converted it to ascii using ps2ascii and onto epub via Calibre. The formatting is not so good but it is usable.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 03:52:58 PM »
Recipes look great.

Would you happen to have the postscript version of it? It looks to me like the pdf was generated from a raster-scan.  The best would obviously be if you can find the latex version.

Thanks rpr.

Will dig for the LaTex files. It was done in 1990, and at that time I stored it on 5 1/4 inch floppy.

Thanks for searching for the ps and attempting to do that.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 03:55:06 PM »
You could also use K2pdfopt and then run that result into Calibre to get it into Mobi.

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 04:10:01 PM »
Did some more digging but it looks like even with the original latex file, it may not be straightforward to get quality epub. But I see that some people are either selling the ebook or it is on sharing websites.

As an aside, I'm of a comparable vintage as you when I came to the US from India in the early 1990s. I wish I had your book as well. My mom bought for me a couple of Indian cookbooks including one called  How to Cook. Both were South Indian and heavily used by me.  Just before leaving for the US, I got a crash course on cooking from my mom. Now how many whistles does the dal need ;)  Ah, those were the wonderful days of grad school. I miss them.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 04:11:25 PM »
You could also use K2pdfopt and then run that result into Calibre to get it into Mobi.

Bacchi, thanks. Will try that out. Looks like a Linux version is available.

Looks like Calibre is the gold standard.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 04:15:17 PM »
Did some more digging but it looks like even with the original latex file, it may not be straightforward to get quality epub. But I see that some people are either selling the ebook or it is on sharing websites.

As an aside, I'm of a comparable vintage as you when I came to the US from India in the early 1990s. I wish I had your book as well. My mom bought for me a couple of Indian cookbooks including one called  How to Cook. Both were South Indian and heavily used by me.  Just before leaving for the US, I got a crash course on cooking from my mom. Now how many whistles does the dal need ;)  Ah, those were the wonderful days of grad school. I miss them.

Yup, those were the good days. When I started, I could not even boil water without burning it ;-)
So, went on the news groups and started collecting recipes.

Like all things on the internet, it was free then. I have seen people put it up for sale on ebay etc. It does not matter to me.
Never had the time to update the website which was the follow up to this book (red chutney.com).

I found 3.5 inch floppies which I think I transferred the LaTex files to. Calling all my friends to see if they have an old computer which can transfer the data to an USB stick.

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 04:28:09 PM »
I went to your website. Found the recipe for the puff pastry and it mentions the wonderful Iyengar Bakeries in Bangalore. What a great place it was. Been a long time. Now a local Natural Food store makes a similar potato puff pastry. I always have it once a week. Maybe I will make it at home one of these days. My wife loves them puffs.

I hope that you are able to recreate the epub or kindle mobi version. Please keep this thread updated when you do.

PS: That boiling water story is funny. There are some microwave related incidents, I dare not tell anyone about ;)

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 04:36:01 PM »
Ok, I found a DVI file (generated from LaTex) as well as the LaTex files.

Any suggestions?

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 04:46:54 PM »
I went to your website. Found the recipe for the puff pastry and it mentions the wonderful Iyengar Bakeries in Bangalore. What a great place it was. Been a long time. Now a local Natural Food store makes a similar potato puff pastry. I always have it once a week. Maybe I will make it at home one of these days. My wife loves them puffs.

When I make vegetable puffs, I get so many compliments. Try it out, it is very easy. You will get some serious brownie points from your wife!

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 05:21:14 PM »
Ok, I found a DVI file (generated from LaTex) as well as the LaTex files.

Any suggestions?

I found this website.

https://github.com/michal-h21/tex4ebook

It should work OK to convert since you don't have any fancy math equations.

This can be a nice weekend project. Let me know if you want me to try. I'd need the latex + any style files you may have used.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 05:32:43 PM »
This can be a nice weekend project. Let me know if you want me to try. I'd need the latex + any style files you may have used.

Thank you. Really appreciate this offer.

I tried looking thru the files and have forgotten LaTeX after 20 years.

I'll put it on the website and PM you a link. I'll put both a zip and tar file there.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 05:40:09 PM »
Any mustachians have an idea on how to do a PDF to Kindle conversion?

Long, long ago, before there was a world wide web, I put together a Indian cookbook and put it out on the internet (yes, the internet existed before the web). This was formatted in a language called LaTex (still used by academicians).
I don't believe that I have a LaTex version of the book, but I have the pdf of the book.

I tried some of the free formatters available on the web, but it does not seem to work.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

BTW, if you want the pdf of the book, it is here. http://redchutney.com/Book/IndianRecipes.pdf

There really isn't a good way to convert a PDF into a kindle format, because PDF is really like a screenshot and most every other format is something similar to extended hypertext.  Calibre is the  best conversion program I ever found, but even it doesn't do PDF to anything conversions well.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 05:43:10 PM »
Thanks MoonShadow. Looks like the PDF -> kindle path is a dead end.

spokey doke

• Pencil Stache
  • Escaped from the ivory tower basement
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2015, 08:36:08 AM »
I just use the option to email pdf's to my Kindle account and it gets put on my Kindle just fine...it works with a variety of document formats actually:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle/email

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2015, 12:36:51 PM »
I just use the option to email pdf's to my Kindle account and it gets put on my Kindle just fine...it works with a variety of document formats actually:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle/email

True, but the kindle series is pretty bad at displaying PDF's well, unless you have the really big one.