Author Topic: Paying your own way for job interview?  (Read 14758 times)

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
Paying your own way for job interview?
« on: July 19, 2015, 06:56:17 AM »
This spring I applied for a government job in another state. I was able to arrange to have my first interview via video conference. However, they asked me to come for a second interview in person and they were not able to pay for my travel. I learned that I was one of two final candidates, so I was willing to pay my own way. However when I did not get the job, perhaps the most frustrating part was the money that I had thrown away in the attempt.

I have now submitted my application for another job with the same entity. This job might be a better fit for my experience. I don't yet know whether I will make it to the interview stage. If I do, I expect that I would once again need to pay for my travel. A family member thinks I was nuts to interview with someone who couldn't pay for me to get there. What would you do if you were in this situation?

Mikila

• Stubble
Re: Paying your own way for job interview?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 07:10:25 AM »
If I really wanted the job, or to move to that location, I would do it.  It is a gamble; is the job worth it to you? 

We have done this exactly twice, and it paid off once.  I don't regret it.  DH paid ~$600 in travel to get his previous job, which directly led to his current cushy job.  If we had not risked that money, we would still be stuck in our former state. 

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 07:47:50 AM »
Maybe I have been spoiled by the software industry, but there is no way I am interviewing any where that will not pay for my travel. It would be a sign to me that either they don't treat their employees well or they are not seriously interested in my candidacy.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 07:49:41 AM by vhalros »

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 07:59:16 AM »
I would not do it personally. There are plenty to avenues for them to talk with you via video conference to decide which candidate is best. If they want you on site, then they should pay for at least part of it. This is from my perspective of the employer always paying for me having gone on many interviews that involved plane rides or long car trips. One place, where I eventually went and stayed for 5 years, had a reasonable dollar amount cap that they would contribute to travel which they communicated to me in advance. Basically it ended up covering a coach class airfare, one night in a modest hotel, and a couple of meals. I spent more using my own money because I decided to rent a car and stay through the weekend to check out the area.

That said, if I was offered (in writing) a job at a place I hadn't seen and it involved me relocating there and commuting there, then I would be willing to use my own resources to visit their location and decide if I wanted to accept their offer.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 08:01:51 AM »
Think of the thousands of dollars contractors spend to bid on projects they never get. Or think of the lawyers that sue for a percentage of the award and lose the case. Or think of the health care practitioners that care for patients that never pay. There is a ton of work being done without compensation out there, and the only one who knows if it is worth it is the one doing the job.

Obviously it would be better to be compensated for the travel. But if you feel the job is a good fit and provides an improvement worth the risk, then pay your own way and be happy with that decision whether you get the job or not. Just because you don't get the job doesn't mean it was the wrong decision to spend the money or take the risk. It was still the right decision, it is still money well spent, just need to look at the long game. By making investments in yourself and your career appropriately, you will be better off over time. Absolutely that justification can be abused, and is all the time. People justify luxury cars to impress clients, justify expensive lunches and fancy clothing, etc, etc. Pull down the curtain, clinically assess if the job is worth the travel cost to interview based on your available money, the improvements the job would bring, whether it would be satisfying, etc. And then if it is worth it, spend the money without regret or looking back at those sunk costs.

If a job was in high demand, an employer might use the fact that they don't reimburse for interview costs as a way of limiting the applicants to those who are really serious and dedicated to the idea of that job. Or they might just be cheap bastards... :D

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 08:14:00 AM »
Maybe I have been spoiled by the software industry, but there is no way I am interviewing any where that will not pay for my travel. It would be a sign to me that either they don't treat their employees well or they are not seriously interested in my candidacy.

This exactly.  It isn't that paying for it isn't acceptable risk.  It's that this sort of behavior is likely to continue.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 11:24:03 AM »

3rding this.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 11:28:55 AM »
I feel like a lot of people are wearing their private sector colored glasses. As a government worker myself, I can't imagine a position that would pay you to come out and interview.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 11:44:09 AM »
Paying for travel in government (especially state and locals) is really tough right now. I wouldn't necessarily think that the lack of travel funding is a reflection on the viability of the candidacy or how employees are treated. If you're seriously looking to relocate (which it seems from your other thread, you are) and want this job, I would accept it as a cost of doing business.

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 11:45:16 AM »
Yeah, as indicated, it is possible I'm biased. I've no experience with government jobs.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 11:48:51 AM »

3rding this.

It's the government. OP didn't specify whether federal or state. I've heard the federal government is not allowed (i.e. against the law) to pay for travel for a non-employee unless they are bringing them in to teach a class or something. There are all kinds of rules like that. So yes, the OP should expect there to be all kinds of weird rules if they get a job working for the government. And that it will be less remunerative than private industry--especially if the OP is in a high-paying field like software. But the rules should be similar to any other government job, and millions of people have those jobs and decide to stay there for a long time. I think anyone going to work for the government should expect some bureaucracy along with stability and the opportunity to serve the public.

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 11:49:55 AM »
This spring I applied for a government job in another state. I was able to arrange to have my first interview via video conference. However, they asked me to come for a second interview in person and they were not able to pay for my travel. I learned that I was one of two final candidates, so I was willing to pay my own way. However when I did not get the job, perhaps the most frustrating part was the money that I had thrown away in the attempt.

I have now submitted my application for another job with the same entity. This job might be a better fit for my experience. I don't yet know whether I will make it to the interview stage. If I do, I expect that I would once again need to pay for my travel. A family member thinks I was nuts to interview with someone who couldn't pay for me to get there. What would you do if you were in this situation?

I would never interview for a job that wont pay for my travel/etc to the interview.  In my industry, which is not software and does not have profit margins as high as software, it is the standard for the company to pay the interview bills. 

There are many reasons why not to do this:

1.  If they can't afford the travel, they may not be all that interested.
2.  If they can't afford the travel, they may not be in a good financial state, which may effect your job stability or may reflect that the company (or part of the govt) is not the top of the industry.
3.  If it happens once, maybe it will happen again, and before you know it you've spent a lot of money.
4.  It teaches the employers that they can get away with this crap, and that makes the interview scene worse in general for everyone.

If you stilll really wanted the job, then I would tell the interviewer, "I am extremely interested in this job, to the point of which I am even considering paying my own travel for the interview.  However, because you are not willing to cover the travel, I am concerned about points 1 and 2 (see above).  How do you respond to this?  Additionally, can we at least meet in the middle and have you agree to cover my expenses if I interview and you do not make me an offer?"

Tyler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2015, 11:51:48 AM »
I'm in engineering and have never had to pay for my own interview travel. I would take being asked to pay my own way as a significant red flag. 

That said, I respect companies who state up-front that they are looking for local candidates.  That's HR code for not having travel or relocation budget, and when applying for a job in that situation I would have no problem paying the bill.  If I want the job badly enough to ignore their stated preference, then I certainly will not hold it against them. 

music lover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2015, 11:52:41 AM »

It works both ways...if you can't be bothered to get to the interview for a job that YOU applied for, then they may think that you really aren't that serious about the job and they will move along to someone else.

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2015, 11:56:25 AM »

3rding this.

It's the government. OP didn't specify whether federal or state. I've heard the federal government is not allowed (i.e. against the law) to pay for travel for a non-employee unless they are bringing them in to teach a class or something. There are all kinds of rules like that. So yes, the OP should expect there to be all kinds of weird rules if they get a job working for the government. And that it will be less remunerative than private industry--especially if the OP is in a high-paying field like software. But the rules should be similar to any other government job, and millions of people have those jobs and decide to stay there for a long time. I think anyone going to work for the government should expect some bureaucracy along with stability and the opportunity to serve the public.

I had a govt job for some time.  They paid my way for the interview (actually, interviewed with two different govt agencies, both paid for travel).  It was no problem whatsover; actually had lunch at a fancy place for one.

Granted, the interviews were for govt labs.  Maybe the rules are different there.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2015, 12:18:53 PM »

3rding this.

I had a govt job for some time.  They paid my way for the interview (actually, interviewed with two different govt agencies, both paid for travel).  It was no problem whatsover; actually had lunch at a fancy place for one.

Granted, the interviews were for govt labs.  Maybe the rules are different there.

I worked at a couple government labs, but they are actually run by contractors, and not subject to the same requirements. No one there was a government employee--they were employees of the contractor. The government pays the contractor to run the lab.

The point is that there are lots of situations where I could see this being a legit reason and not at all reflective of the viability of that office. If they are going to final interviews, and it's a federal job, they should have an FTE and funding in hand. If it's a state job, it depends on the state.

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2015, 02:45:48 PM »
In my industry, I had never previously had to pay my own travel for an interview. However, I think the key here is what others have picked up on-- this is a government job and I think money is tight there at the moment.

I've got experience working for a couple of different local governments, and can say for certain that there are often all sorts of odd rules. I don't think the requirement that candidates pay their own travel is reflective of how they treat their employees. For example, from what I can see, the benefits the job would offer (in particular the retirement plan) exceed anything I've had at any job thus far. I do think they have a rule that they can't pay for anyone's travel so I don't think it is a reflection upon my relative worth to them as a candidate.

I like what a few are saying about how sometimes it takes money to make money/ cost of doing business, etc. It hurts my mustache when I feel like I'm throwing money away, but I think I need  to remind myself that I'm not actually wasting money, I'm spending toward my future.

Thanks everyone!

clifp

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2015, 03:14:58 PM »
I do volunteer work with a couple of government agencies (Parks) one federal, one state/local.  I know that travel budgets are super tight, but honestly I am surprised that they don't pay for travel for job interviews.  I'd certainly expect that any travel would be limited to the standard government per deim.  As another spoiled former tech worker, I'd really be put off by not being paid travel expense and would probably have been a deal breaker.  I guess it does partly explain while government has a trouble attracting good knowledge workers.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2015, 04:49:07 PM »
When I finished grad school 24 years ago I only applied with the state governments. NOne were allowed to pay for my travel. All but one were willing to interview by phone & hire that way. ! I did travel to one my dime because it was a higher position then the others. I got the job.

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2015, 04:52:07 PM »

3rding this.

I worked at a couple government labs, but they are actually run by contractors, and not subject to the same requirements. No one there was a government employee--they were employees of the contractor. The government pays the contractor to run the lab.

The point is that there are lots of situations where I could see this being a legit reason and not at all reflective of the viability of that office. If they are going to final interviews, and it's a federal job, they should have an FTE and funding in hand. If it's a state job, it depends on the state.

The worked at a DoD lab; not run by contractors. 
But yes, i think i number of govt labs are run by Batelle, and from what I hear they are very unpopular.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2015, 06:02:25 AM »
I feel like a lot of people are wearing their private sector colored glasses. As a government worker myself, I can't imagine a position that would pay you to come out and interview.

+1
 My organization - hires GS employees - does not pay for people to come to interviews. The hiring process is also all assbackwards and incredibly slow (so good candidates take other jobs before anyone here makes up their mind). There is absolutely no money for travel for interviews (plus whatever the regulations may be).

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
    • My Student Loan Refi Story
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2015, 07:37:30 AM »
My opinion would depend on whether the employer was conducting a national search or was hiring local and you were asking to be considered.  As an example, big firms recruit nationwide and pay for interview travel.  Small firms usually hire local candidates.  If I wanted to move to a new state and I wanted an employer to consider me anyway (on the basis that I promise to relocate) I would expect to pay the travel for the interview and relocation because the employer is getting no extra benefit from hiring nationally instead of local.  There were probably 20 other equally qualified local candidates they could hire and save that cost.  If an employer was looking nationally and trying to recruit me to go to their business/state, then I would expect my interview and relocation expenses to be covered.

After law school I moved for a job and my interview and move was covered.  My husband got a government job and his interview travel was not paid for.  However, my job reimbursed it considering it part of the cost of my move.

Fuzz

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2015, 09:35:55 AM »
Ignore the software people. Tech people: we like you, but the rest of America is getting screwed by their employers. If you're not going to pay for your interview expenses, you're not going to get most non-tech jobs. I can't imagine a government job paying for your interview expenses, outside of say certain fellowships. In most states, there are weird procurement rules about that sort of thing.

If you would accept the job if it was offered to you, you should pay your interview expenses.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 09:37:34 AM by Fuzz »

epipenguin

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2015, 10:01:31 AM »
I have paid for travel to an interview in a foreign country. Well, it was in the US but it was a foreign country to me at the time. The company were not advertising internationally, they were trying to hire someone locally as they hadn't even got to the point of extending their search out and considering paying for relocation. And then I applied and they said they liked my resume but weren't going to be able to pay for flying me over to interview. I totally lied, and said I had plans to be in the area in 3 weeks time anyway, and maybe I could drop by and interview then. Boom. Done. In the end, the company paid for my whole visa process to immigrate, so it worked out really well. And I still work for them, albeit now part-time, 14 years later. So in that sense it worked out too.

If you are trying to relocate and you don't have the luxury of working for a large or well funded company that can relocate you or is spreading its hiring net wide enough to be willing to pay for relocation to attract the best candidates, what are you supposed to do? I mean, my company is private sector and has plenty of money, but they weren't about to splurge to fly over some unknown on a whim.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2015, 10:11:17 AM »
Yup. I've interviewed/tested with a police department that had 700 people vying for 3-5 positions.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2015, 10:22:55 AM »
Unless being specifically recruited, I have always had to pay my own way for job interviews. 

A job hunt has costs. And they are generally tax deductible :)

Magpie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2015, 11:29:44 AM »
I've worked in government at the local and state levels and in my experience, interview expenses are not usually covered.  If travel expenses are covered, it is generally for senior level positions.  Yes, this is one reason why it's difficult to attract talented candidates.  If this is a position you are interested in, you should ask if relocation expenses will be covered.  That could be an important consideration for you. 

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2015, 11:56:23 AM »
The rules have all changed and not in favor of the rank and file.

Employers will do what they can get away with.

Having wasted my time (preparing, stressing, etc.) on so many interviews, I can't imagine paying for a flight unless there were an excellent chance of landing an offer on a job I really wanted at a location I really wanted to move to.

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2015, 05:23:28 PM »
Unless being specifically recruited, I have always had to pay my own way for job interviews. 

I honestly had not thought  about the tax deductible part. Thanks so much for mentioning this!!!!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2015, 05:37:09 PM »

I honestly had not thought  about the tax deductible part. Thanks so much for mentioning this!!!!

Mr. FP paid for his own job search expenses as he is a teacher--they pretty much never pay for interview travel or relocation! We netted a pretty significant savings on our taxes.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2015, 05:46:56 PM »
That said, I respect companies who state up-front that they are looking for local candidates.  That's HR code for not having travel or relocation budget, and when applying for a job in that situation I would have no problem paying the bill.  If I want the job badly enough to ignore their stated preference, then I certainly will not hold it against them.

My opinion would depend on whether the employer was conducting a national search or was hiring local and you were asking to be considered.  As an example, big firms recruit nationwide and pay for interview travel.  Small firms usually hire local candidates.  If I wanted to move to a new state and I wanted an employer to consider me anyway (on the basis that I promise to relocate) I would expect to pay the travel for the interview and relocation because the employer is getting no extra benefit from hiring nationally instead of local.  There were probably 20 other equally qualified local candidates they could hire and save that cost.  If an employer was looking nationally and trying to recruit me to go to their business/state, then I would expect my interview and relocation expenses to be covered.

Tyler and Blonde Lawyer seem to cover it well.

Rylito

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2015, 11:55:12 PM »
I don't believe most government jobs will pay interview expenses, except for very high-level positions.  Gov't agencies often have all kinds of prohibitions on expenditures that make no sense....when I worked at a national lab, they had rules against paying for my business cards, so I had to pay for them out of pocket.  Yet we used expensive Kim wipes everywhere in place of paper towels.

I'm now working in private industry.  We recently had an inspection by a state agency.  The inspector told me Governor Brown cancelled all the state-paid cell phones at his agency as a cost-saving measure, so they're responsible for the cost for their own personal cell phones which have to be used for work purposes.  This particular agency (maybe 100 employees state-wide) needs its staff to respond in the event of certain types of emergencies or mass-casualty events...seems like the state would be better served by making sure the employee has a functioning cell phone during such events by providing the phones, but that's not how the governor saw it.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2015, 06:02:22 AM »
In Canada, working for Municipal government here. I have never seen anyone at my level get paid travel for interviews. Maybe it depends on the local flavour whether travel is covered. Working in the private sector, especially if they approached you I would expect some sort of an allowance. May be different if you seem hungry and go after them.

Either way, in my head, the job is what matters, not how you get it. Good luck in hunt.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2015, 06:39:17 AM »
Just pay and remind yourself of all those worthless classes you were forced to pay for to get your degree.   

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2015, 07:06:58 AM »
No pay no play.   Travel is tax deductible for the interviewing company but not for me.   If they can't afford the trip for an interview, everything else is going to suck as well.  (i.e. compensation reviews, equipment budgets, staffing levels and so on).     Maybe these conditions are normal in the public service?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2015, 08:34:30 AM »
No pay no play.   Travel is tax deductible for the interviewing company but not for me.   If they can't afford the trip for an interview, everything else is going to suck as well.  (i.e. compensation reviews, equipment budgets, staffing levels and so on).     Maybe these conditions are normal in the public service?

Yes - and that's why we're all gunning for ER.

Guesl982374

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2015, 12:29:01 PM »
Ignore the software people. Tech people: we like you, but the rest of America is getting screwed by their employers. If you're not going to pay for your interview expenses, you're not going to get most non-tech jobs. I can't imagine a government job paying for your interview expenses, outside of say certain fellowships. In most states, there are weird procurement rules about that sort of thing.

If you would accept the job if it was offered to you, you should pay your interview expenses.

It sounds like from others in this thread that Gov't is different. I have no experience there and cannot comment.

Fuzz - Someone in my family works for a non-profit charter school. They pay for teachers to travel to interviews. It's not just tech. If you have talent/the role will be impactful to the organization and the organization is decent, they are paying for travel whether tech, other for profit, or non-profit.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2015, 12:44:01 PM »
I work for a state government entity.  Sometimes we can pay for people to come to interview and sometimes we can't.  It depends on the budget situation and the position.  For lower level positions, we don't pay.

If I really wanted the job and thought I had a good chance at getting it, I would probably pay for the travel if the folks doing the hiring couldn't.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2015, 01:12:01 PM »
My wife was hired for a state job, she had to pay for her background check.  Not to mention they regularly need her to "pop" over (70 miles round trip) and complete some paperwork or attend some non-paid meeting on her non-work days (she works part time on contract basis).

Josiecat

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2015, 05:02:58 PM »
Government is completely different.  I probably said somewhere on the job posting that there would be no relocation allowance.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2015, 04:51:15 AM »
My wife was hired for a state job, she had to pay for her background check.  Not to mention they regularly need her to "pop" over (70 miles round trip) and complete some paperwork or attend some non-paid meeting on her non-work days (she works part time on contract basis).

If she works part time on a contract basis, she should be billing for those hours - including travel time if it is not a prescheduled work day.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2015, 08:48:10 AM »

If she works part time on a contract basis, she should be billing for those hours - including travel time if it is not a prescheduled work day.

No such luck, she teaches and is on a per class contract basis.