Author Topic: Paying for credit monitoring  (Read 3599 times)

corelli

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Paying for credit monitoring
« on: August 01, 2013, 09:51:14 AM »
Hey all,

I am currently paying $20/mo for credit monitoring. I have been rebuilding my credit and doing quite well, and have an unhealthy paranoia about my credit. Just wondering if there are alternatives or if others think this is worth it.

Thanks

Eric

• Magnum Stache
Re: Paying for credit monitoring
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 09:58:27 AM »
What are you getting for that $20/mo?  What's causing this paranoia?  Has your identity been stolen in the past?  Is your name extremely common?  If not, I think you're wasting your money, especially since you can check your own reports for free once a year at www.annualcreditreport.com 

Hey Codo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 09:58:46 AM »
I've been using the service from Mint and it costs $15 a month. I've been happy with it so far

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 10:02:39 AM »
I don't think it's worth it, that is $240/$180 per year (20/15 per month respectively) that could be making you money. The access that Eric mentioned is just fine and doesn't cost you anything.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 10:05:32 AM »
Credit Karma is free.  It's not all that accurate on the score, but you can set it up to alert you when changes to your credit report occur.  Their information is from Transunion.

madage

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 10:11:49 AM »
I've been using the service from Mint and it costs $15 a month. I've been happy with it so far

Seriously, Codo? I hope you're canceling it in light of this thread where you detail your debt emergency.

corelli

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 10:13:49 AM »
I suppose my paranoia comes from having two debts on my report which were not valid. I don't have a common name, but mistakes have been made it it was very irritating/length to have them removed.

I think I will look credit karma and see how it goes for a year without the payment. Seems like an unnecessary expense right now.

madage

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 10:25:34 AM »
Seems like an unnecessary expense right now.

Or, you know, ever. I'd have to get paid an awfully large hourly wage to choose to pay $20 every month to save a few hours' work and some aggravation.

If you're really concerned, why not just put a free security freeze on your credit report?