Author Topic: Pay fee or never pay?  (Read 4308 times)

maginvizIZ

• Bristles
Pay fee or never pay?
« on: November 07, 2015, 09:00:15 AM »
I have a gym membership, I got a new card with a chip in it, and I've noticed they can't charge me anymore.  I'm under contract until next month, but I'm wondering if I should just let it go and never answer their calls.  How bad is it if I never pay & just never answer calls? Will it affect my credit score?

TheThirstyStag

• Bristles
Re: Pay fee or never pay?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 09:15:24 AM »
What do you mean when you say they cannot charge you?  They can certainly bill you.  And if that bill goes unpaid, it can go to collections.  So yes, credit score can be affected. 

Pay your bill or end your agreement. 

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 09:41:12 AM »
I have a gym membership, I got a new card with a chip in it, and I've noticed they can't charge me anymore.  I'm under contract until next month, but I'm wondering if I should just let it go and never answer their calls.  How bad is it if I never pay & just never answer calls? Will it affect my credit score?

Basically the bank issued a new card with a new card number, if you have your old card number on file it cannot be billed because it is no longer active. Do the right thing, pay what you owe. Update your card information on file.

Otherwise yes, they can bill you, it will go into collections, and it will ding your credit score. Also it is kind of a dick move not to.

Malum Prohibitum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 10:49:12 AM »
A contract is an agreement to pay, at least for the duration of the contract.  You would be in breach.   Collections, lawsuit, all are possible outcomes.  Them ignoring it probably is not.

Read your contract to see what it is you agreed to do.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 06:10:25 PM »
Pay the month, end the contract.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 07:26:32 PM »
There's a line between frugal and cheap. You're proposing to cross that line.

Just pay the damn bill.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 08:03:00 PM »
Um... pay the damn fee.  And then cancel the membership if you don't want it.  It WILL go to collections.  You WILL be on the hook for whatever late and collection fees they want to tack on.  They WILL make it a legal issue if you still don't pay.  And, yes, it WILL ding your credit score.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 08:47:12 AM »
Why ruin your credit score for something like $35. Just pay it. 

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 08:51:34 AM »
I agree with the other responses, but also be aware that your credit card company may still allow the payment under the old card for some period of time if they recognize it as a regular payment. I was informed of this the last time I was issued a new card and was trying to get all my payments transferred over.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 09:57:22 AM »

You signed a contract to pay, correct?

JJ saves

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • save now save later
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 10:11:41 AM »
Pay! get them off your back for good.