Author Topic: Pay-as-you-go internet in New York?  (Read 2516 times)

wintersun

• Bristles
Pay-as-you-go internet in New York?
« on: March 01, 2015, 11:18:44 AM »
I am looking for a service that reliably provides internet wifi on a pay-as-you-go basis for NYC, wifi/personal hotspot/not dial up.

I found this site and I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations: http://www.internetservice.net/2011/10-ways-to-get-temporary-internet-service-without-a-contract/

The place I sometimes stay does not have internet.  Any ideas of which service would be good?

Imerz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Pay-as-you-go internet in New York?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 12:05:24 PM »
How frequently would you need this service, and to what end?  Is it to complete vital business or for pleasure? 
If you were to only need it 2x a month to entertain yourself, it might be more cost efficient to buy a coffee and use their wifi for a couple of hours or bring a book with you from the library.

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
  • making the most of my time and my money
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 12:12:34 PM »
Ntelos has a $2-a-day pay-as-you-go hot-spot 3G service that probably is available in NYC.  We use it as a back-up whenever our regular satellite internet service craps out due to atmospheric/cloudy conditions and we still must get on the internet for business reasons.

Check it out; let us know what you think.

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 12:13:18 PM »
FreedomPop for 500mb and T-Mobile for 100mb (technically for tablets, but works in a phone too). Both are free.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 05:36:12 PM »
Thanks, I will test these and see what is successful and let you know.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!