Author Topic: Patio Pavers or Concrete Patio  (Read 1899 times)

LearningMustachian72

• Stubble
Patio Pavers or Concrete Patio
« on: September 05, 2018, 01:03:38 PM »
Hey!

I am debating between patio pavers or concrete for a 20 x 15ft patio in my backyard.  I live in Minnesota and the area I want to put a patio on is flat.  We are not looking for anything fancy...we will either go plain concrete or large pavers that are not decorative.

Any suggestions for one over the other in terms of cost, longevity, etc.?

Thank you in advance!

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
Patio Pavers or Concrete Patio
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 01:27:10 PM »
Do a quick forum search - there was a thread on concrete vs pavers probably 4 days ago.

I've installed both kinds, preparation is key. You need to have a good tamped gravel : limestone bed before you install a thing. Typically 4-6" is required, as you need good drainage to avoid freeze/thaw issues.

For a DIY project, I would go pavers. I think they look better, easier to install, easier to repair, and easier to change.  I can do pavers for about 5/sf for all materials for the project.

Concrete is tough to finish if you haven't done it before. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

omachi

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Patio Pavers or Concrete Patio
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 01:31:04 PM »
I've always heard there are two types of concrete, cracked and soon to be cracked. I think that's a little overstated, but doesn't feel too far off. Especially up here, with the constant freeze and thaw cycles, which can be really hard on concrete. Sure, you can do work to prevent it, but that brings up the cost.

I'd lean towards the pavers. You still have to dig out the gravel bed, but they're unlikely to crack. If they somehow do end up damaged you can replace a few pavers, while concrete is hard to repair and keep it looking good. On a proper gravel and sand bed, you shouldn't see any heaving, even here. They do cost more, but only ~10-15% more than concrete and they're likely to stay in good condition longer. You may have to pull a weed that manages to take root here and there. Though that's also true of concrete once it starts cracking. And if you're installing yourself, you get a lot more wiggle room in the process with pavers.

Though there are also a couple things the flatness of concrete brings. You also won't likely clear pavers perfectly of snow if that matters to you, it's just harder to do than on a perfectly flat surface. Rolling a grill over the pavers can be a pain, depending on the size of the paver, but how often will you do that? Likewise, patio furniture may find the seems and not sit as level as on concrete, which could be an annoyance.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 05:00:42 PM »
I've always heard there are two types of concrete, cracked and soon to be cracked. I think that's a little overstated, but doesn't feel too far off. Especially up here, with the constant freeze and thaw cycles, which can be really hard on concrete. Sure, you can do work to prevent it, but that brings up the cost.

I'd lean towards the pavers. You still have to dig out the gravel bed, but they're unlikely to crack. If they somehow do end up damaged you can replace a few pavers, while concrete is hard to repair and keep it looking good. On a proper gravel and sand bed, you shouldn't see any heaving, even here. They do cost more, but only ~10-15% more than concrete and they're likely to stay in good condition longer. You may have to pull a weed that manages to take root here and there. Though that's also true of concrete once it starts cracking. And if you're installing yourself, you get a lot more wiggle room in the process with pavers.

Though there are also a couple things the flatness of concrete brings. You also won't likely clear pavers perfectly of snow if that matters to you, it's just harder to do than on a perfectly flat surface. Rolling a grill over the pavers can be a pain, depending on the size of the paver, but how often will you do that? Likewise, patio furniture may find the seems and not sit as level as on concrete, which could be an annoyance.
Ha!

I've heard there are three guarantees with concrete:

1) guaranteed to crack
2) guaranteed to not burn
3) guaranteed to not get stolen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 07:27:55 PM »
I'm in MN as well and contemplating the same.

I like the aesthetics of concrete better.

We currently have a brick paver sidewalk and the weeks are out of control.

But we could DIY pavers.

No decision yet.

LostGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 09:05:39 PM »
Oh Omachi I work in construction and start that probably 3x/week! It's true. All concrete gets at least shrinkage cracking.

No comment on the pavers vs concrete but if you diy do what you are comfortable with.
I've always heard there are two types of concrete, cracked and soon to be cracked.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 05:15:43 AM »
I've always heard there are two types of concrete, cracked and soon to be cracked. I think that's a little overstated, but doesn't feel too far off.

Yep. We had a new concrete patio poured a few years ago. Within a few weeks, it turned into a 400 square foot disappointment. Cracks everywhere...hairline, small, large, you name it. We'll likely eventually cover the concrete patio with pavers.