Author Topic: Patio Ideas?  (Read 4637 times)

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
Patio Ideas?
« on: May 07, 2013, 01:49:59 PM »
I want to add a patio to our house and would like something that is nice looking, cost friendly, possibly creative/artsy like, and DIY....this combination may not be possible.  Pavers and natural stone are fairly expensive, definitely don't want wood deck. 

Any ideas out there that may fit the bill.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
Re: Patio Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 01:54:23 PM »
I really like stamped concrete... though I am not so sure how cost friendly/DIY this is.  It's do-able yourself, but lots of work (and still fairly expensive.

I'd like to see other ideas that might be more DIY/inexpensive.

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 02:07:28 PM »
Similar to the stamped concrete idea, Quikrete has some paver forms that I have used and I've been really happy with how it turned out. I've only used it for paths/smaller areas though. So far it's holding up after 7 years of heavy traffic.

http://www.quikrete.com/athome/walkmaker.asp

twinge

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 02:10:09 PM »
relatedly you can do poured concrete which is fairly straightforward and inexpensive and do a stain--some of the effects, while not easily controllable, can be really gorgeous.  I've seen combinations of poured concrete with paver edging that look nice. 

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 03:11:45 PM »

One note on the stain:  Our whole first floor is stained concrete and I totally love it.  The patio is stained as well, done by the same guy with the same stain.  While I *LIKE* the patio... it's not nearly as nice as the inside.  The stains take totally differently on swept concrete (and you probably want swept concrete in an outside area).

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 05:33:57 PM »
Similar to the stamped concrete idea, Quikrete has some paver forms that I have used and I've been really happy with how it turned out. I've only used it for paths/smaller areas though. So far it's holding up after 7 years of heavy traffic.

http://www.quikrete.com/athome/walkmaker.asp

I like the stone looking one - based on what it says it takes an 80lb bag to fill the mold (approx 4sq ft), a bag of concrete is about $4 so then about $1/sf for the patio (not including base or other stuff).  That is pretty good.  For a patio that seems like a lot of labor but overall could be a good option. 

Any other ideas - concrete forms could be made into something neat maybe with tumpled rocks or a mosaic of some kind put in. 

MorningCoffee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 06:04:58 PM »
I saw a deck made of brick and train track ties that was really cool. They used free bricks found online, the owner was doing a reno and getting rid of them. Some people list free stones and bricks since they don't know how else to get rid of them.

jenstill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 06:16:23 PM »
I'm planning to build a patio/mini-deck this summer out of free wood pallets. For me, the difficulty is getting the pallets home (only one at a time fits in my car and I don't own a truck or know anyone who does).  But, almost completely free (labor + screws + stain) which is exceptionally attractive to me! Here are a bunch of different pictures of how different folks have done it different ways. Maybe one of them will work for you. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Pallet+decks&qpvt=Pallet+decks&FORM=Z7FD

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 06:53:34 PM »
I'm planning to build a patio/mini-deck this summer out of free wood pallets. For me, the difficulty is getting the pallets home (only one at a time fits in my car and I don't own a truck or know anyone who does).  But, almost completely free (labor + screws + stain) which is exceptionally attractive to me! Here are a bunch of different pictures of how different folks have done it different ways. Maybe one of them will work for you. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Pallet+decks&qpvt=Pallet+decks&FORM=Z7FD

I know i said I didn't want a wood deck, but this idea is brilliant - for the price (free) this is definitely on the table if I can find the pallets.  There were some cool pics for furniture too. THanks