Author Topic: Passport Photo  (Read 4578 times)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Passport Photo
« on: July 20, 2015, 03:11:06 PM »
Hey,

I need to get a passport photo for my passport. I checked and Walgreens charges $13 for this, Walmart isn't much better, and I would love to do just do this on my own since I have a smartphone. Anyone know the best way to do this?

I downloaded an app that is support to help you crop it and get it to the right size, but it doesn't seem to work. It does a good job helping you crop it, but then it won't allow me to print it at 2x2". Anyone have any suggestions?

dudde_devaru

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Passport Photo
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 03:51:27 PM »
Walmart shows 4*6 prints as $0.15 site-to-store.

Take your photo as per the specified background and crop it to the needed size(2*2) in mspaint/windows photo manager. Then copy those 2*2 pics and paste them to form a bigger 4*6 grid pic.

Print it and cut the individual 2*2 pics. If my math is correct, you will get 6 2*2's in one 4*6 photo print :D
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 03:53:36 PM by dudde_devaru »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 11:38:49 AM »
Are you a AAA member?

"AAA Classic members can acquire passport photos for a nominal fee ($8 per set), two free sets for AAA Plus members and unlimited sets for AAA Premier members per membership year."
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MidWestLove

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 12:03:30 PM »
Do you like learning (nothing here is complicated and software like GIMP is free)?

Then you can have your passport pictures forever, multiple sets for $0.1 on 4x6 sheet

+1 to below

"
Walmart shows 4*6 prints as $0.15 site-to-store.

Take your photo as per the specified background and crop it to the needed size(2*2) in mspaint/windows photo manager. Then copy those 2*2 pics and paste them to form a bigger 4*6 grid pic.
"

themagicman

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 12:09:22 PM »
Hey,

I need to get a passport photo for my passport. I checked and Walgreens charges $13 for this, Walmart isn't much better, and I would love to do just do this on my own since I have a smartphone. Anyone know the best way to do this?

I downloaded an app that is support to help you crop it and get it to the right size, but it doesn't seem to work. It does a good job helping you crop it, but then it won't allow me to print it at 2x2". Anyone have any suggestions?

If you end up going with walgreens they always have a coupon online! I think it was $4 off when I did it.

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 12:28:01 PM »
I just renewed my passport wicked cheap.

Take a picture with your smartphone.

Use this tool: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/photos/photo-composition-template.html

Send the picture to Walmart to get it printed.

:-)

StetsTerhune

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 12:30:35 PM »
I used to manually use the gimp to make my passport pictures, but the last time I just downloaded a free app (I forget what it was called, but search passport photo in your app store and I'm confident you'll find something). Set the size, take the picture, saves to phone as (for example) a 4x6 photo with 6 pictures. $.15 and 3 minutes later I was uploading to walgreens and had 6 passport pictures on their way.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 12:40:36 PM »
I seriously just had a friend take a picture of me in front of a white wall.  Printed it and it was fine.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 12:42:33 PM »
Doesnt the post office take the photo for free? Or am I misremembering(a political term)?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 01:02:48 PM »
Doesnt the post office take the photo for free? Or am I misremembering(a political term)?

Sometimes you need passport photos even when you already have a passport.

Yes, if you're getting a passport itself, the photo is generally included.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 01:38:26 PM »
Are you a AAA member?

"AAA Classic members can acquire passport photos for a nominal fee ($8 per set), two free sets for AAA Plus members and unlimited sets for AAA Premier members per membership year."

This is what I did ! worked out great! Highly recommend AAA for traveling abroad as well! Great place to get your international license at as well!

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 01:47:13 PM »

Sometimes you need passport photos even when you already have a passport.

Yes, if you're getting a passport itself, the photo is generally included.

I think mine charged $10 for this (my 6 month old's passport - it was freaking adorable and therefor worth it).