Author Topic: Party fail: can I sell off a bunch of wine?  (Read 6061 times)

ETBen

• Bristles
    • I started a journal about single parenting and the new life towards FIRE
Party fail: can I sell off a bunch of wine?
« on: August 20, 2016, 05:02:42 PM »
I had a "divorce party" celebrating that and one year in my new home.  I asked people to bring a bottle of wine to share and I now have way too much wine.  I could sell off 10 bottles and still have enough for a year.  Craigslist?  Could I get in trouble for it?  Other options? 

I'd like to sell off some of it and donate the money to the domestic violence center in town. 

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
Re: Party fail: can I sell off a bunch of wine?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 06:43:21 PM »
I had a "divorce party" celebrating that and one year in my new home.  I asked people to bring a bottle of wine to share and I now have way too much wine.  I could sell off 10 bottles and still have enough for a year.  Craigslist?  Could I get in trouble for it?  Other options? 

I'd like to sell off some of it and donate the money to the domestic violence center in town.

Either sell locally or wait for fall/winter. No wine buyer will want to ship their wine during summer months.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 06:55:09 PM »
Bring two bottles to every party you attend until it's gone?

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 07:07:47 PM »
Host a New Years Eve Party

ETBen

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 07:20:45 PM »
I know, I could have parties.  I have some weird consumption guilt about having all of it in the house.  That would be the easier solution, though. 

frugalcoconut

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 07:34:50 PM »
Would it be possible for you to somehow host a "Wine for Charity" raffle where there are maybe 10 winners (who each get a bottle of wine) and you sell raffle tickets with the declaration that 100% of the proceeds will be donated to the domestic violence center?  It can be done over time so you reach more people ... although obviously there should be a deadline of some sort.  :) 

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 04:20:59 AM »
I know I would feel miffed if I brought something over for a party that someone later sold, just something to keep in mind.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 04:32:28 AM »
This is the funny math of potlucks.  If everyone brought enough food for one person, it would be perfect.  But everybody brings enough food for ten people, so there is ten times too much.  And then there is the lady who is so proud because her favorite recipe was all consumed while someone else's was barely touched.  I have a dim memory of a church potluck when I was a kid.  All the ladies made a big deal of arranging their exotic casseroles perfectly while everyone waited.   The line finally started to move and people were tentatively poking and prodding the casseroles when a latecomer (single dad) plopped down a bucket of KFC.  The crowd went nuts for it and people at the back of the line were screaming that nobody gets more than one piece. The casserole ladies were pissed.

We still have wine leftover from a Christmas party in 2014.   Just can't seem to keep up our drinking like the old days.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 04:58:25 AM »
I can't really think of a good way to sell it, especially if you want any decent amount of money.  As long as you are careful not to re-gift to those who gave it, you could give bottles away as Christmas (or other event) presents, saving money on gifts you don't purchase, and then donate that saved money to charity. 

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 05:04:27 AM »
Perhaps this can be the start of your personal wine cellar? Renovate your basement, order some exotic Italian stone for your walls, and join your neighborhood wine cellar tour?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 05:13:47 AM »
This is the funny math of potlucks.  If everyone brought enough food for one person, it would be perfect.  But everybody brings enough food for ten people, so there is ten times too much.  And then there is the lady who is so proud because her favorite recipe was all consumed while someone else's was barely touched.  I have a dim memory of a church potluck when I was a kid.  All the ladies made a big deal of arranging their exotic casseroles perfectly while everyone waited.   The line finally started to move and people were tentatively poking and prodding the casseroles when a latecomer (single dad) plopped down a bucket of KFC.  The crowd went nuts for it and people at the back of the line were screaming that nobody gets more than one piece. The casserole ladies were pissed.

Haha, what an awesome story!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 05:15:03 AM »
OP: I'm not seeing the problem.  You'll use it eventually, right?  Are you afraid it will go bad?  Have no room to store it?

I vote to invite the people over who brought it to enjoy it/share it with you.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 04:17:28 PM »
Agreed, this is the classic potluck problem! My BF hosts a game night during the summer (we have a nice outdoor area) and everyone brings beer. Every time! And then they leave the leftover beer! So now we have a fridge full of other people's beer. And my BF can't drink beer (celiac) and I usually drink what he's drinking (i.e. wine or cocktails) so the beer just builds up. We need to have an end-of-summer blowout to try to get rid of it but I'm afraid it will just make the problem worse.

The chorus I sing with has a potluck a few times a year... here's hoping I end up on the "booze" list for the next one.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 09:20:27 PM »
I know I would feel miffed if I brought something over for a party that someone later sold, just something to keep in mind.
I was thinking the same thing.  If I gave you a gift of wine, and you sold it for personal profit, yeah, I'd be "miffed".  If you put it on Craigslist, as mentioned as a possibility, it's quite possible one of your guests would see it. 

I think you could do the charity thing IF you were very upfront about it:  I had this party and generous friends gave me SO MUCH wine.  I could never use it all, so I'm ____ and donating the proceeds to ____.

I'd probably just keep it and use it over the next 5-10 years.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 09:22:24 PM by MrsPete »

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2016, 10:04:40 PM »

++

Seriously.  It's not going to go bad.  Just keep it around, use it as you have the chance.

Lmoot

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 04:01:38 AM »
4 oz per day of red wine has shown to decrease risk of heart disease. Following this method I easily go through 1 bottle per month. So....just take it daily like a vitamin.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 07:17:47 AM »

++

Seriously.  It's not going to go bad.  Just keep it around, use it as you have the chance.

I am still doing mental gymnastics to sort out how many bottles of wine it would take to "use over the next 5-10 years."  I'd need a bigger house.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 07:41:46 AM »
There is no such thing as too much wine.
Get a couple wine case boxes from liquor store so you can stash it out of the way somewhere until consumed.
Give a bottle or two to friends also.

ETBen

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2016, 04:39:41 PM »
I don't drink a lot so it would last a while. I decided to use as gifts and future parties.  I don't host a ton of parties either but I've wanted to entertain more anyway.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 04:53:15 PM »
Note to self:  start hosting more potlucks

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2016, 09:21:00 AM »
I think this is a big party win! Perfect for future host gifts and for having others over again.

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2016, 10:11:39 AM »

We still have wine leftover from a Christmas party in 2014.   Just can't seem to keep up our drinking like the old days.

Opposite story: I was voluntold to bring a bunch of baked beans to a potluck. So i go to Wallyworld and grab a big thing of Bush's Baked Beans (read: cheap) and threw them in a crockpot. Nobody touched them at the potluck so I had to lug a full crockpot of hot baked beans back home.

It ended up 100% tossed :(

Back to OP. Drink the wine, bring it to parties, re-gift, etc. You'll figure it out.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2016, 10:22:39 AM »
Yeah, I store it for later use.  We wound up with 2+ cases of wine leftover from our wedding after bending to constant pressure that we should buy more alcohol. It lasted past our first anniversary but ultimately it was all enjoyed.

Actually, this thread makes me realize that I almost never buy beer or wine anymore.  We often throw dinner parties for friends ranging from 4-20 people.  My culinarily inclined friends bring either dessert or sides, and everyone else just comes with beer and wine even when we say we have plenty.  Though we drink freely there's always a lot leftover at the end of the night. We joke that we turn a profit throwing dinner parties.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!