Author Topic: Part Time - Which would you rather  (Read 2944 times)

ontheway2

• Stubble
Part Time - Which would you rather
« on: June 20, 2018, 02:06:30 PM »
To start, I don't know if either of these are even a possibility with my employer.

Just for discussion though, would you rather one day off per week or an extra 10 weeks of leave (LWOP)? LWOP would be used in one or two week increments at a time.  Assume the normal 10 holidays and standard PTO remain either way.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Part Time - Which would you rather
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 02:16:23 PM »
Is there a way to do both? I mean, do the one day off per week and see how it goes, and switch back to weeks off and full weeks, if needed?

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 02:53:50 PM »
10 weeks. No question.

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 03:56:35 PM »
If I could get 10 weeks of PTO at any job I might not ever retire.  I would just switch jobs every few years.

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 06:12:05 PM »
I'd go with the 10 weeks. Having bulk time like that beats a 4 day work week.

Lmoot

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 07:00:14 PM »
I’d like to have the 10 weeks, but one and 2 week increments is not enough for me. I want a month to two months off.  I have one day off a week but work 10 hour days four days a week. Having the one day off is really nice, but it’s not enough for me to actually get away and go somewhere. I have family that lives overseas and I had to beg to get a month off, which I earned.

I can’t stand being tethered to this country which is exactly how I feel since I can’t get away for more than a couple weeks at a time without a big hassle. And there’s not very many places in the world that’s worth the price to get there, only to spend a few days and have to turn right back around.

I wish jobs gave seasonal breaks, like when you were in school. Employees can choose to work year-round or they can choose to take a leave without pay (the company would have a constant resupply of freshly rested workers, who are familiar with the company already). The employer could  open multiple “breaks” throughout the year,  so everyone isn’t off at the same time). I figure it would save the company money, and give those that value a work life balance over more pay/benefits, an incentive.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 05:05:00 AM by Lmoot »

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 04:12:30 AM »
This is an extra 10 weeks of leave in addition to what you currently get?  So I'll assume it is something like 13 weeks total.  So you could work 3 weeks on, 1 week off all year.  Or 6 weeks on, 2 weeks off.  That would be a pretty sweet schedule, always having that next break to look forward to. 

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 06:27:08 AM »
10 weeks LWOP! Actually, I already have 10 weeks of offical vacation time by having 5 official weeks of PTO + 4 hours a week "overtime" (40h workweek on 36h contract).

If I'd have a family/children I'd probably rather go for the 4 day workweek.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 08:24:35 AM by Hirondelle »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 08:04:32 AM »
I am considering working 4 days a week until FIRE, which would delay my FIRE with 3 months. But it might give me more energy during my time towards FIRE. Having a long weekend every week would just be great.

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 08:08:12 AM »
If I could get 10 weeks of PTO at any job I might not ever retire.  I would just switch jobs every few years.
I had to look up LWOP. It means leave WITHOUT pay. :(

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 09:55:28 AM »
I guess it depends how much PTO you get and how stressful the job is. I feel like, for me, having an extra day off each week would easier to budget around (reduced schedule, semi-retired), less stressful, and then if I still had my 5+ weeks of paid time off, I'd be fine. Also, being gone for a week or two at a time frequently (like once per month) might be tricky to get some parts of my job done effectively, but that would be job-specific, of course.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 01:38:48 AM »
I already get 12 weeks with full pay. So, I'd take the extra day per week.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 01:40:13 AM »
I suspect it might be easier to sell a “four days per week” schedule to corporate management than “I’m going to disappear for two months and want my job back afterwards” :)

I regularly take 6 - 10 weeks off in a row with my job. We have generous leave policy and I use it to maximise my time off.

Lmoot

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 04:30:36 AM »
Ok, judging from the previous two posts, I need to freakin move to Australia.