Author Topic: Part time programming job  (Read 3852 times)

tpozywio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Part time programming job
« on: August 04, 2013, 03:56:44 AM »
Thinking about trying my hand at programming for fun.   Started a Java class on Udacity and i like it so far.   What programming language(s) should i learn if i want to possibly get a part time job in the future?
Any certifications helpful?
Thanks!

Donovan

• Stubble
Re: Part time programming job
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 06:47:04 AM »
I notice that you are in Indiana. The two biggest companies around here that hire programmers are both Windows shops that work primarily with C# / .NET for their services.  However, that would be full time and need a lot of training, more than likely (I needed my CS degree before I worked for one of them.)

For part time, if you are dedicated then you could try to find work as a consultant programmer at one of the firms around here. My FIL works at one of them and says that for that you really just need to have decent knowledge of several languages and architectures, especially for mobile devices. So maybe work on Android programing (Java), look at iOS work, and learn a little C# as well. The work in the line would change based off of the client, so it would certainly keep you busy and interested if you get in.

Third option is the one that I am currently pursing (but for full-time work).  Web development has become very big, and you can probably find part-time and even remote jobs in this field if you work hard at learning it for  while. I'm currently pretty far along an interview process for a full-time, remote Ruby on Rails web development job after just about 3 months of intense training in the full web stack this summer.  If you want to go this route, I suggest looking into Code School for a lot of the basics. If you work at it, you can get through every course they have in 1 or 2 months. There is also a good Software as a Service class that teaches Rails on the EdX website.  If you go out and learn Ruby, Rails, Coffeescript/Javascript, HTML (and HAML/SLIM), and CSS (SASS), then you would probably be able to find employment.  Start out by building a personal website to show people that you know what your are doing, and to provide a god learning experience.  I know this one sounds like a big (huge, really) undertaking, but it is also probably the option that would provide consistent part-time work the easiest.

tpozywio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 10:13:34 AM »
Thanks! Lots of good information there!

Fyction

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • SteadySaver.com
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 10:25:47 AM »
I agree with Donovan. I've worked both as a full time Java programmer and now am primarily a (PHP) web developer. Java part-time positions are going to be more rare (unless you go mobile) than web development. LAMP stack web development is great for part time work, and once you have an established rep/client base its easy to find steady gigs.

While you are learning I recommend trying out a few web projects for yourself in addition to schoolwork. Having at least a few sites/services/projects in the bag makes it easier to show off to clients.

Good Luck!