Author Topic: Parent's car - replace or not?  (Read 978 times)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Parent's car - replace or not?
« on: July 07, 2024, 12:53:33 PM »
Looking for more experienced car people's input. Parent's car is older, having issues, I'm starting to think that we need to replace it.

2012? Chevy Cruze, 100k miles. Current issue is the water lines. Needed new turbo, water pump, water lines were leaking, all fixed, now leaking again. All this year.

Complications:
Money. Yes, they have the money, no I don't really want them to spend $20k on a car.
Dad. Historically has handled all car repair, is not capable of handling all of it now but also won't completely give it up. It's a frustrating situation that isn't going to change. I was able to get him to not go to the car repair place that was either lazy, unethical, or dumb. However, he's strangely resistant to going to the car repair place that has literal decades of history with a friend's family and I am comfortable with them. Best guess is because it's further away.

Mom will do what I recommend, but will worry about money (rationally or irrationally). Dad will probably ultimately fall into line with whatever mom says. They'd have to pull money from the 401k. RMDs will start next year.

Thoughts and recommendations please.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Parent's car - replace or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2024, 02:33:55 PM »
By coincidence, I watched this video earlier, and the first car he says never buy is a 2010+ Chevy Cruze.

https://youtu.be/Sq9pmaNhrVc?si=1WITufKNOirzkiJn&t=183

I would dump that car asap. Trade it in for a used Camry or Corolla.

GilesMM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2024, 07:32:29 PM »
By coincidence, I watched this video earlier, and the first car he says never buy is a 2010+ Chevy Cruze.

The Cruze didn't cruise very far as they were not reliably built.  Any small car from Honda or Toyota would do much better and probably get them a couple hundred thousand trouble-free miles.

And don't let "Pop" work on the car!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GycD0ky_gE0

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2024, 07:59:33 PM »
Interestingly, as much as everyone says the Cruzes are terrible, this one has been ok. It's not perfect by any means but not as bad as everyone says they are.

Dad doesn't work on the car anymore, at least not that I'm aware of. He confines his mechanical pursuits to the lawnmower and snowblower. I think the car is too complicated for him to understand.

Paper Chaser

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2024, 03:28:54 AM »
What are their vehicular needs? How many miles do they drive, and what do those miles look like?

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2024, 04:00:35 AM »
With RMD's starting next year this could be the last car they ever have to buy.

I would consider their ability to get in/out of a vehicle as they age. A sedan or lower vehicle might not be the best in this regard.

Do they both drive? How much longer will they have the eyesight/reflexes to safely operate a vehicle?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2024, 08:05:07 AM »
Driving needs are local: grocery store, doctor, etc. Mostly surface streets. The annual oil change is a thing, and the tires were replaced because they were 8 years old, not because the tread was low. I'd be surprised if they hit 5,000 miles a year, it's probably more like 3k.

Yes, they're both driving. How long they can/should be driving is a tough topic. A vehicle that they have a hard time getting into or out of is likely a feature rather than a bug.

This will be the last vehicle. Financially, they're ok right now but long term they're going to be in a world of pain. They have $250k or so in the 401k. A lifetime of suboptimal if not downright bad financial decisions.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2024, 10:05:56 PM »

I just found that video the other day too, Car Wizard is awesome.  And I 100% agree, dump that pos as fast as possible and get a Toyota or Honda. 

GilesMM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2024, 11:01:33 PM »

I just found that video the other day too, Car Wizard is awesome.  And I 100% agree, dump that pos as fast as possible and get a Toyota or Honda.

Scotty hates them too.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk564TRN3qA

Paper Chaser

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2024, 04:09:38 AM »
Driving needs are local: grocery store, doctor, etc. Mostly surface streets. The annual oil change is a thing, and the tires were replaced because they were 8 years old, not because the tread was low. I'd be surprised if they hit 5,000 miles a year, it's probably more like 3k.

Yes, they're both driving. How long they can/should be driving is a tough topic. A vehicle that they have a hard time getting into or out of is likely a feature rather than a bug.

This will be the last vehicle. Financially, they're ok right now but long term they're going to be in a world of pain. They have $250k or so in the 401k. A lifetime of suboptimal if not downright bad financial decisions.

I'd heavily consider just keeping the Cruze. They're not a Corolla, but they're not a time bomb either, and they get decent economy for the era. Paying a bit more to maintain the Cruze for a few years will likely be better financially than paying for a new vehicle that's not going to get driven much.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2024, 09:55:49 AM »

I'd heavily consider just keeping the Cruze. They're not a Corolla, but they're not a time bomb either, and they get decent economy for the era. Paying a bit more to maintain the Cruze for a few years will likely be better financially than paying for a new vehicle that's not going to get driven much.

That's why this is a tough call. But it's also not solely the money. Mom can't (won't to the extent that she can't) handle car issues. I can, but I work, etc. If dad fully couldn't handle it and wasn't doing anything, then I could work with mom to manage everything. I need a 2nd person to help with driving cars at least. But since dad is still doing some of it, mom won't step up. And dad won't cooperate with me fully. For example, it's Wednesday, dad was supposed to take the car in Monday and I have no idea if it happened. Part of the issue is I'm his daughter and neither of them can fully accept that I'm competent. But the dementia is also a factor, and both pieces can look the same from the outside.

Carmax has cars for $20-25k. Enterprise Sales has cars that are $15k. I know there's other sites that I can check but haven't yet. they could get some money for the Cruze, not a ton. Still, that's $10k minimum they'd have to pay. I'm not eager to do that.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2024, 10:33:35 AM »

That's why this is a tough call. But it's also not solely the money. Mom can't (won't to the extent that she can't) handle car issues. I can, but I work, etc. If dad fully couldn't handle it and wasn't doing anything, then I could work with mom to manage everything. I need a 2nd person to help with driving cars at least. But since dad is still doing some of it, mom won't step up. And dad won't cooperate with me fully. For example, it's Wednesday, dad was supposed to take the car in Monday and I have no idea if it happened. Part of the issue is I'm his daughter and neither of them can fully accept that I'm competent. But the dementia is also a factor, and both pieces can look the same from the outside.

Carmax has cars for $20-25k. Enterprise Sales has cars that are $15k. I know there's other sites that I can check but haven't yet. they could get some money for the Cruze, not a ton. Still, that's $10k minimum they'd have to pay. I'm not eager to do that.

You can get a 2017 Sonata with under 100k miles for $7k. Quite a bit more reliable than a Cruze (though not quite Toyota/Honda levels).
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/b64256ea-72df-401f-ba01-8d34af4e8440/

Initial search page:
https://www.autotempest.com/results?zip=46383&radius=100&maxprice=8000&minyear=2013&maxmiles=100000&transmission=auto

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2024, 12:51:50 PM »

You can get a 2017 Sonata with under 100k miles for $7k. Quite a bit more reliable than a Cruze (though not quite Toyota/Honda levels).

Initial search page:
https://www.autotempest.com/results?zip=46383&radius=100&maxprice=8000&minyear=2013&maxmiles=100000&transmission=auto
[/quote]

You don't want those Sonatas either. That was car #2 he said to not buy: https://youtu.be/Sq9pmaNhrVc?si=0_Le3HBDlVL_Y-aD&t=355

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2024, 01:01:57 PM »
Well, the latest issue with the Cruze is solved: when the shop put the new turbo in apparently they didn't tighten a bolt. And that is why is was leaking. I have no other information, would not be successful in getting it, so am not going to try.

Oh, and dad went to the place that I'd specifically advised him not to go to because there was no option for what had happened that I was ok with. Either they were incompetent, lazy, or unethical. At least maybe he didn't get charged?

I need to add up the total car repairs for the past several years.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2024, 01:34:16 PM »

Initial search page:

You don't want those Sonatas either. That was car #2 he said to not buy: https://youtu.be/Sq9pmaNhrVc?si=0_Le3HBDlVL_Y-aD&t=355

Fair, but still significantly better than a Cruze (per Dashboard Light). My point was that there are cars available for cheaper. Other models I saw in the $5k-8k range included the VW Jetta and Nissan Altima.

Here's a 2013 Passat with 96k miles for $7.6k. That model year has an 81.8/100 reliability rating (industry average is 57/100).
https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/1VWAP7A32DC132955/
« Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 01:36:24 PM by RWD »

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2024, 01:39:55 PM »
Well, the latest issue with the Cruze is solved: when the shop put the new turbo in apparently they didn't tighten a bolt. And that is why is was leaking. I have no other information, would not be successful in getting it, so am not going to try.

Oh, and dad went to the place that I'd specifically advised him not to go to because there was no option for what had happened that I was ok with. Either they were incompetent, lazy, or unethical. At least maybe he didn't get charged?

Well, if they're only doing a few thousand miles a year and it just got a new turbo, it's probably worth hanging onto it until it dies or they stop driving. I would just make sure that the recalls for the brakes and steering wheel were done.

You can check the recall status here: https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2024, 02:41:24 PM »

Well, if they're only doing a few thousand miles a year and it just got a new turbo, it's probably worth hanging onto it until it dies or they stop driving. I would just make sure that the recalls for the brakes and steering wheel were done.

Thanks. I have no idea the status of recalls. They're either all good, or it'll be a hot mess.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2024, 06:34:22 PM »
Normally my bias against GM cars would have me firmly in the Toyota/Honda camp, but for how little they drive they should just keep it, and keep fixing it if it breaks, and of course doing basic maintenance. It will probably be less money than buying new over their lifetime.
If it breaks down and is in the shop for a week, would that be an undue hardship on them? Or you?

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2024, 06:59:14 PM »

Thanks. I have no idea the status of recalls. They're either all good, or it'll be a hot mess.

Just plug the license plate number or VIN in at this link and it'll tell you whether the car has outstanding recalls or not. https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2024, 07:51:54 PM »
Normally my bias against GM cars would have me firmly in the Toyota/Honda camp, but for how little they drive they should just keep it, and keep fixing it if it breaks, and of course doing basic maintenance. It will probably be less money than buying new over their lifetime.
If it breaks down and is in the shop for a week, would that be an undue hardship on them? Or you?

Depends on what I'm doing and what they're doing. They don't really do much, so if there's no medical appointments its often fine if they're stuck at home. Or alternate transportation can be arranged.

I've discussed with my sister. At this point, we're going to leave the car as is. If the situation changes then we can revisit. They are going to take a trip back to Michigan in a month which will be ~700 miles round trip, so I might get them a rental car for that. But otherwise, if the car breaks down they're local and someone can go get them pretty easily. Thus far it hasn't broken down though.

spartana

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd at 36
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2024, 11:30:50 AM »

Depends on what I'm doing and what they're doing. They don't really do much, so if there's no medical appointments its often fine if they're stuck at home. Or alternate transportation can be arranged.

I've discussed with my sister. At this point, we're going to leave the car as is. If the situation changes then we can revisit. They are going to take a trip back to Michigan in a month which will be ~700 miles round trip, so I might get them a rental car for that. But otherwise, if the car breaks down they're local and someone can go get them pretty easily. Thus far it hasn't broken down though.
I think this sounds like the best option since the car is doing ok now, meets their limited driving needs, and is used only for local driving. They can rent (or find another way like fly, train or bus) to do the rare long distance trip. However, you didn't mention their ages but I think there are some age limits with renting. I read somewhere (on this forum I think) that once you are 70 or older you may not be able to rent. Ageist for sure but something to consider if they are over 70.

ETA: Just googled it and looks like there is no age limit in the US as long as you have a valid drivers lic (although your insurance Co may have different rules if you use their insurance to cover a rental car). However other countries do have a max age limit but it doesn't sound like they will be driving on overseas trips.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2024, 11:35:42 AM by spartana »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2024, 08:18:47 PM »

I think this sounds like the best option since the car is doing ok now, meets their limited driving needs, and is used only for local driving. They can rent (or find another way like fly, train or bus) to do the rare long distance trip. However, you didn't mention their ages but I think there are some age limits with renting. I read somewhere (on this forum I think) that once you are 70 or older you may not be able to rent. Ageist for sure but something to consider if they are over 70.

ETA: Just googled it and looks like there is no age limit in the US as long as you have a valid drivers lic (although your insurance Co may have different rules if you use their insurance to cover a rental car). However other countries do have a max age limit but it doesn't sound like they will be driving on overseas trips.

Mom is under 70, and it would be on her license. So that at least will hopefully not be an issue. No foreign trips.

I've already planned to keep my schedule flexible during their trip in case I have to drive over. I'm more worried about how dad will handle a trip than the car honestly.

spartana

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd at 36
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2024, 01:25:59 PM »
Since your mom is in her 60s I imagine she has a good 10 - 20 years that she'll be driving - barring health or mobility issues - so she'll likely want another car eventually. Im not sure what a 2012 Cruze is worth but probably not a lot. So she could just continue driving until it dies and has a repair that's not worth the cost. Then get something newer for her that she can keep for the remainder of her driving years. Maybe a small suv - something like a Nissan Kicks) that sits a bit higher and will be less of a problem getting in and out of but is small and easy to drive.

You might be surprised how much and how many more years long they will drive. My divorced parents drove until they died at around 79 and often did very long distance drives without problems. Motorcycles too. My dad's second (older than him) wife rode a Harley into her 80s and she only weighed about 100 lbs! She had to quit after a leg injury but continued to drive.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2024, 11:08:00 PM »
@spartana  mom is 68, but add around 10 years for functional status. Dad has a similar adjustment, though the details are different. I'm decades ahead of my peers in terms of elder care. Mom could well be the first to have to stop driving if her vision tanks (again, she had cataract surgery).

But yeah, we'll see. The Cruze has been well maintained which helps with the reliability issues. Hopefully by the time the car dies the market will have gone down some.

spartana

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd at 36
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2024, 11:53:09 PM »
@spartana  mom is 68, but add around 10 years for functional status. Dad has a similar adjustment, though the details are different. I'm decades ahead of my peers in terms of elder care. Mom could well be the first to have to stop driving if her vision tanks (again, she had cataract surgery).

But yeah, we'll see. The Cruze has been well maintained which helps with the reliability issues. Hopefully by the time the car dies the market will have gone down some.
Oh that's too bad as I'm sure it would be helpful (for both you and her) if she could do most of the day to day stuff until much older. I think a good mechanic can keep it running if she not driving many miles so the car may last quite awhile. I don't know much about Cruzes but most cars can last 150k to 200k miles without too many issues if maintained. Although the safety features newer cars have may be worth getting a newer car.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!