Author Topic: Paleo lunches on the go-suggestions?  (Read 5466 times)

naners

• Stubble
Paleo lunches on the go-suggestions?
« on: April 18, 2016, 03:16:06 PM »
Any suggestions for portable paleo-friendly lunches that don't need to be refrigerated? I usually take salads to work but that doesn't seem like it would do  well in a backpack for several hours.. Sandwiches with wheat bread are out, they make DH crash like a ton of bricks after lunch.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Paleo lunches on the go-suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 03:23:08 PM »
Beef Jerky Time!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 03:26:28 PM »
Does he have microwave access? A good lunchbox and a couple ice packs can circumvent the fridge issue.

Things I've done in the past:
roast beef slices and cheese slices (if you do any dairy- primal style)
roasted veggies are great cold, especially broccoli
Shredded chicken with BBQ sauce and sriracha is good cold, I like it with lightly steamed green beans
With microwave: soup, any sort of casserole, stir fry
Romaine boats for tuna salad or egg salad are great
Romaine boat BLTs
Applesauce is great cold
Quiche can be made crustless and is great as cold leftovers
Salmon or tuna cakes are great cold or warm
Aidells sausages are a good compromise option (or "better" brats/hotdogs), and are great with sauerkraut or coleslaw and some mustard =)
Paleo sloppy joe mix in a sweet potato or regular potato is better hot, but definitely edible cold, and is great as a leftover
And of course, the savior dish: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/4360193712/emergency-protein-aka-garbage-stir-fry

At a minimum, I try for 1 protein and 2 veg or fruit options

Pretty much whatever you have at home, but at work =P
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 03:35:33 PM by Bracken_Joy »

naners

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 06:33:09 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions! We're doing some traveling next week so I'm specifically looking for things that need neither a microwave or a fridge.

mashrach

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 06:36:29 AM »
I've taken hard boiled eggs on hikes and they last fine for hours. I wouldn't trust it for multiple days. I will also buy the tuna in a bag that is sold in supermarkets, so a can opener is not required. And definitely beef jerky, fruit and lots of nuts.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 06:43:41 AM »
Pemmican.  It's pretty disgusting, but will fuel your body, lasts several weeks un-refrigerated, and is about as Paleo as you can get.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 06:47:21 AM »
Pemmican.  It's pretty disgusting, but will fuel your body, lasts several weeks un-refrigerated, and is about as Paleo as you can get.

You can buy Epic bars, which are basically pre-made pemmican, and extremely tasty. Not cheap though.

Pemmican isn't so bad as long as you don't oxidize the suet too much. And don't use sulfured berries- they react and make a terrible metallic taste. Pemmican made right isn't so bad. We used to make batches every year from our game.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 07:00:22 AM »

You can buy Epic bars, which are basically pre-made pemmican, and extremely tasty. Not cheap though.

Pemmican isn't so bad as long as you don't oxidize the suet too much. And don't use sulfured berries- they react and make a terrible metallic taste. Pemmican made right isn't so bad. We used to make batches every year from our game.

I used to go camping with my dad . . . which means portaging in a couple hundred km into the middle of nowhere with minimal gear and spending a half a month communing with nature/starving/freezing.  After a couple weeks of pemmican, dehydrated mashed potatoes, and all the fish you can catch (few) the idea of pemmican still makes me shudder.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 07:08:26 AM »

I used to go camping with my dad . . . which means portaging in a couple hundred km into the middle of nowhere with minimal gear and spending a half a month communing with nature/starving/freezing.  After a couple weeks of pemmican, dehydrated mashed potatoes, and all the fish you can catch (few) the idea of pemmican still makes me shudder.

I think ANY limited diet like that will make you hate it! When my family moved to Baja for a year, I actually got to the point where I was SO SICK of lobster I couldn't stand it. Took me years to forgive it.

garion

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 07:40:59 AM »
Nuts, dried fruit, lunch meat w/o bread (with cheese if you eat it, I also like to wrap a piece of avocado in meat), single-serving packs of guacamole (wholey guacamole brand makes some without any additives, good to eat with baby carrots), whole fruits like apples and bananas, hard boiled eggs, packs of almond butter (eat it straight from the package or on apple slices or with a banana), lara bars, rx bars (similar to lara bars but with egg whites for protein. I've ordered on amazon, haven't seen in stores. Weird texture but definitely paleo).

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 07:44:43 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions! We're doing some traveling next week so I'm specifically looking for things that need neither a microwave or a fridge.

I think my best advice is invest in some ice packs and a good personal cooler/lunch bag. I have no problem keeping my lunch cool for the 15 hours I do on work days.

Another delicious option I remembered: romaine leaf, smear of guac, fried chicken strip with garlic powder on it. Yummmm.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!