Author Topic: Page Plus Help?  (Read 6247 times)

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
Page Plus Help?
« on: December 02, 2014, 05:46:12 AM »
So SO and I moved to Page Plus last month. Everything was fine until about 3 weeks in where her phone had troubles receiving calls the first time. A second call would go through. So far, I've tried: Factory reset, ESN reset, *73,*720, reprogramming, contacting page plus support. Nothing has worked. SO is getting very frustrated (understandably so) and will go back to Verizon if I can't solve this problem. I will buy a new phone before that happens (well, new off contract Verizon iPhone 4S). Any help greatly appreciated!

My phone works just fine and is also an iPhone 4S so SO is very jealous. Want to fix this!

stash4cash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Page Plus Help?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 06:03:27 AM »
My wife was on page plus for a year with an old Verizon iphone 4. Had constant issues with this.
*72 would fix the issue temporarily for her so she basically ended up resetting with *72 every morning. haha.

We eventually got rid of that phone and we are with Cricket now (and happier!).

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 06:08:24 AM »
My wife was on page plus for a year with an old Verizon iphone 4. Had constant issues with this.
*72 would fix the issue temporarily for her so she basically ended up resetting with *72 every morning. haha.

We eventually got rid of that phone and we are with Cricket now (and happier!).

Voting is now like this:
New Phone: 2
Verizon: 1

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 08:01:15 AM »
Questions:

1) Have you talked with anyone at Apple, Howard Forums, or the Kitty Wireless forums about this issue?

2) What calling plan is the SO on with Page Plus?

3) Was the SIM card slot unlocked for international use by Verizon before you left?

4) How's your T-Mobile and/or AT&T coverage?

Try someone in one of the first three groups of #1 first. I did some searching on the issue myself, but haven't turned up anything even marginally useful beyond this thread at HoFo. You may just have to start a new thread and ask.

If you can't find a solution and don't have another Verizon handset kicking around that you can transfer the account to to see if the phone behaves any differently, before you replace the thing... go through the second through fourth questions. If your answer to #2 is The 12 or PAYGO, #3 is yes, and #4 is good, it may be a $30 investment, but you might want to consider giving Truphone a try instead before replacing the 4S.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 08:30:59 AM »
Questions:

1) Have you talked with anyone at Apple, Howard Forums, or the Kitty Wireless forums about this issue?

2) What calling plan is the SO on with Page Plus?

3) Was the SIM card slot unlocked for international use by Verizon before you left?

4) How's your T-Mobile and/or AT&T coverage?

Try someone in one of the first three groups of #1 first. I did some searching on the issue myself, but haven't turned up anything even marginally useful beyond this thread at HoFo. You may just have to start a new thread and ask.

If you can't find a solution and don't have another Verizon handset kicking around that you can transfer the account to to see if the phone behaves any differently, before you replace the thing... go through the second through fourth questions. If your answer to #2 is The 12 or PAYGO, #3 is yes, and #4 is good, it may be a $30 investment, but you might want to consider giving Truphone a try instead before replacing the 4S.

#1) Just did research, but I haven't asked in my own thread (I will, thanks for the tip).

#2) The $29.95 1200 Talk 'n Text plan.

#3) Unknown. All I did was transfer SO's phone to PP then mine (which ended our contract since mine was the account's phone). If this means it was unlocked, great, if not then it's not.

#4) Covered well by all major carriers (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile).

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 08:35:36 AM »

#3) Unknown. All I did was transfer SO's phone to PP then mine (which ended our contract since mine was the account's phone). If this means it was unlocked, great, if not then it's not.

Alas, it looks like Truphone's not a viable option to try in your situation. Hopefully you'll get a lead on how to resolve this from someone at HoFo or Kitty without replacing the handset. If you're given a solution that works, share it with us. It'll be a chunk of info that I'd like to tuck away in the deeper recesses of my mind in case others have this issue.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 10:26:10 AM »

I can't tell if this is a good or bad thing.  Is it better to have it unlocked before making the switch or is that possibly what's causing the problems?

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 11:13:18 AM »

I can't tell if this is a good or bad thing.  Is it better to have it unlocked before making the switch or is that possibly what's causing the problems?

Technically #3 is a conditional that should be considered only in relation to both #2 and #4. Normally this is a good thing, and completely unrelated to the possible cause of the current issue with Page Plus and the phone. You have to ask to have the SIM slot carrier unlocked on this model, and it only unlocks the SIM for international SIM cards (no domestic), though the phone can support global GSM frequencies (850/900/1800/1900). However, the reason I ask is that if it is unlocked and usage is low enough to do a $12 or PAYGO plan, and T-Mobile or AT&T coverage is available in one's area - since Truphone is considered an international SIM card despite them offering US calling plans, their SIM and calling plan will work here in the US in a international carrier unlocked Verizon iPhone 4s.

Given the nature of the problem appears to be potentially be network related and not phone related, switching to another MVNO that isn't Verizon based could wholly bypass the problem. Unfortunately, the fact that the phone hasn't been unlocked and the usage level is too high to make Truphone cost effective, the point is moot.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 11:15:05 AM by I.P. Daley »

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 11:18:45 AM »
I see what you're saying.  I'm about to make the jump from Verizon to Page Plus as well (with an iPhone 5 though), and just wondered if I need to unlock the international feature before making the jump.  Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 11:32:59 AM »
Sorry if you mentioned it but I'm having trouble finding... what model phone is the problematic one?

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 11:49:06 AM »
I see what you're saying.  I'm about to make the jump from Verizon to Page Plus as well (with an iPhone 5 though), and just wondered if I need to unlock the international feature before making the jump.  Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Starting with the iPhone 5 due to the spectrum purchase that Verizon did for LTE service, any Verizon LTE capable phone with GSM band support has to be carrier unlocked from the factory. With Page Plus (technically, the only Verizon MVNO that supports LTE currently), you can only activate your phone on a $30 or more a month plan and they're axing flashed phone support after January 15th next year. However, due to the SIM slot being carrier unlocked by default, you can also choose any AT&T or T-Mobile MVNO from the guide you like. Right now, the best "unlimited" deals currently are with P'tel.

The Verizon and Sprint 4S with Truphone thing is more an anomaly solution (not that Truphone can't be a good deal for some GSM users in general), but it does open up a GSM MVNO option for the device where they might otherwise be restricted to only the usual CDMA MVNO options of Page Plus, Selectel, Ecomobile and Ting (depending on the phone's carrier branding).

Sorry if you mentioned it but I'm having trouble finding... what model phone is the problematic one?

Given the implied bits, I'm about 99% certain they both own Verizon iPhone 4S handsets and I acted as such without any protest from Pooperman... but you're quite right, handset info has been implied, not expressly stated.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 11:56:07 AM by I.P. Daley »

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 12:12:34 PM »

Starting with the iPhone 5 due to the spectrum purchase that Verizon did for LTE service, any Verizon LTE capable phone with GSM band support has to be carrier unlocked from the factory. With Page Plus (technically, the only Verizon MVNO that supports LTE currently), you can only activate your phone on a $30 or more a month plan and they're axing flashed phone support after January 15th next year. However, due to the SIM slot being carrier unlocked by default, you can also choose any AT&T or T-Mobile MVNO from the guide you like. Right now, the best "unlimited" deals currently are with P'tel.

The Verizon and Sprint 4S with Truphone thing is more an anomaly solution (not that Truphone can't be a good deal for some GSM users in general), but it does open up a GSM MVNO option for the device where they might otherwise be restricted to only the usual CDMA MVNO options of Page Plus, Selectel, Ecomobile and Ting (depending on the phone's carrier branding).

Given the implied bits, I'm about 99% certain they both own Verizon iPhone 4S handsets and I acted as such without any protest from Pooperman... but you're quite right, handset info has been implied, not expressly stated.

I have the iPhone 4S 16GB, SO has the iPhone 4S 8GB (I wanted the 8GB, but they were out the day I needed a phone when my dumb phone kicked the bucket and work required a smarter phone).

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 06:28:43 PM »

I was planning on sticking with Page Plus because I really like Verizon's coverage and it seemed the easiest based on current familiarity with Verizon, but I also didn't realize that this phone was carrier unlocked and that I had the option to switch to AT&T or T-Mobile without hassle.  I'll need to do some more research I guess.  I do have a couple of months to get it figured out.  Thanks for all the info! 

[heads off to read the guide for 6 hours]

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 07:01:53 PM »

Alas, it looks like Truphone's not a viable option to try in your situation. Hopefully you'll get a lead on how to resolve this from someone at HoFo or Kitty without replacing the handset. If you're given a solution that works, share it with us. It'll be a chunk of info that I'd like to tuck away in the deeper recesses of my mind in case others have this issue.

Bought a used iPhone 4, switched to it, programmed, it worked. Changed back, still has issues. It's the phone. The solution is probably going to be Pitagirl going on H2O Wireless with an iPhone 5S. She'll be using the iPhone 4 until then.