Author Topic: Overworked and underpaid.  (Read 3697 times)

The 585

Overworked and underpaid.
« on: August 03, 2017, 02:31:04 PM »
Hey guys! This might come off as more of a rant, but advice is encouraged.

On my team of eight at my current job, I am the youngest at 27. My other teammates are at least 10-15 years older than I am. And they are paid significantly more than I am (around $20k more).

However, sometimes I feel like I'm the only one doing any work! I get SIGNIFICANTLY more work done than these people. Like 10x more if it had to be quantified. And in return, I get asked to do even more tasks. But it makes sense, because why give tasks to people who are incompetent at getting them done? Sometimes I just want to ask these people why they do nothing while I am stuck doing all the work. And it frustrates the heck out of me knowing how much less I get paid.

I'm trying to remain as stoic as possible about this, because in the long run, it really doesn't matter. And I do like my job. But I guess it's all more encouragement for me to early retire, because I'm naturally a hard worker and don't want to be taken advantage of like this for the rest of my career.

Since mustachians are generally a hard-working group of people, do you guys have any advice on how to deal with this? Hopefully someone else has been in similar situations!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Overworked and underpaid.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 02:51:59 PM »
ask for a raise

If the answer is no.

Look for a new job.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 06:40:14 PM »
^ what mm1970 said.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 06:42:05 PM »
Or work less hard since there doesn't seem to be consequences for working less, if you're just building up resentment in yourself. I have never taken this advice when people gave it, but should've many times.

Indio

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 08:00:03 PM »
If you like your job, aside from the workload, get another job offer and ask them to counter it.

nick663

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 09:08:35 PM »
How long have you been there?   When is your next performance review?

Basically,  welcome to the world of being a high performer.  I'm on my 3rd company and there have been these types at every one of them.  Keep doing what you're doing as it will eventually translate into higher profile projects with more responsibility... which grows both your resume and your value to the company.

Fwiw, I disagree with using job offers as a salary negotiation tool.  If you have to put that much work into showing your value to the company you don't want to work there.

Acastus

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 09:42:09 AM »
I have had similar comments from coworkers. Some are valid. Some are way off base. If you are all really doing the same job, then ask for a raise. You may not realize that the senior members in your group are actually doing fewer but more complicated tasks. That is what I expect from an experienced worker. Bigger clients or customers are a lot more demanding than the little guys. If you can process 20 things a week, but they only do 5 things a week, maybe the 5 things are tough.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!