Author Topic: Overcoming Laziness  (Read 2420 times)

scottyah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Overcoming Laziness
« on: September 26, 2017, 12:51:31 PM »
Unfortunately, I've realized I'm pretty lazy. There have been periods of time in my life where I wasn't and they led to great success and happiness. Now my old methods of motivation have gone stale now that I accomplished my goal of moving to an area full of friends, family, and good weather. I've also become disillusioned from wanting to be a Powerful VP/CIO, which was another old desire in life.

Are any of you converts, and what were your own methods to kick it back in high gear?

CindyBS

• Bristles
Re: Overcoming Laziness
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 01:46:27 PM »
Figure out goals - can be big, small or in between.  Break big goals into smaller chunks.  ex.  "get physically fit" - that is kind of big and vague.  Break it down to 1) exercise x times per week  2) run a mile in XX time  3) lift xx amount of weight 

Tackle 2-3 smaller goals at a time - do not take on too much. 

Every day, pick 1-2 goals to work on.  I'm flexible on time, so I make sure I get that work done before noon before other items get done.  Things like exercising rarely happen if I don't do them in the morning.  Make reaching goals a priority on the daily to do list.

I also use timers a lot.  I set a timer for 15 minutes and work on something.  When the timer goes off, I'm done.  Do that several times a day to tackle a goal. 

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 02:39:31 PM »
Ohhh, yawn, I'll let you know tomorrow.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 03:09:50 PM »
I think you just need someone to impress. My ass gets kicked into gear whenever I need to shape up for someone else.

Otherwise, I'm happy (like most people) to simply be a lump and wallow.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 02:18:33 AM »
And if your not someone who responds well to goals, work on the process/forming good habits instead. 

Do shit because it's the right thing to do. Do it regularly enough and it'll become a habit.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!