Author Topic: Outdoor Bicycle Storage?  (Read 2319 times)

The 585

Outdoor Bicycle Storage?
« on: March 29, 2017, 08:57:56 AM »
I'd prefer not to keep my bicycle inside due to lack of space, but I do have a small fenced in backyard that I'd like to keep it in. What's the best method for sheltering it from wind/rain while it's back there--getting a tarp to cover it? Or how are those "YardStash" bicycle storage tents?

Any advice or recommendations are encouraged, thanks!

plog

• Bristles
Re: Outdoor Bicycle Storage?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 11:30:00 AM »
Alexandria, VA?  You also need to consider humidity--that will rust the frame, deteroriate grips and tires and destroy your seat.  I really think this needs to be fully enclosed, not just tarped.  Never heard of the YardStash, but if they can keep your bike completely dry it would be worth looking into.

chris316

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 06:16:39 PM »
I've thought about this too since I have no room inside and no storage outside. I've looked at those yard stashes and it's like you might as well buy a cheap used tent on craigslist.... I feel like for the cost of it ($125 or so) I could buy some lumber, a small box of deck screws, some clearence shingles and siding, a couple hinges and a lock and have a real small leanto shed for me to store it for less, probably for about $60-100. Maybe even less... I mean if you have some friends with the right tools and 3 hours on a Saturday or Sunday with a couple of beers it could be a fun project. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 06:22:05 PM by chris316 »

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 07:02:32 PM »
My boyfriend kept his bike under a bike cover tarp thing (DC area too) and it rusted pretty welll ina year. I'd find a way to keep it inside, second choice would be a shed and keep the a
Proprietary parts oiled.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 09:04:24 AM »
I've toyed with this a couple of times -- I currently keep my bike on the screen porch.  DW doesn't love this, though.  If I were going to keep it outside, I think what I'd do is install a simple U bike rack in the concrete in the carport and hide this and the bike behind a half-wall.  Like others have said, dampness can really play havoc on a bike.

The 585

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 11:44:10 AM »
Thanks for all the responses! Yes... I have considered the fact that even if the bike itself is covered, just the humidity itself can do damage.

In regards to those indoor wall racks that suspend the bike, how do you prevent the handlebars/front wheel from scuffing the walls? I've considered one of those which lean against the wall, but was afraid of the handlebars and wheel turning and scuffing the wall.

CptCool

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 01:46:50 PM »
For indoor hanging, you can just use 2 hooks in the wall studs to hold it horizontally rather than vertically. Or with the single hook in a ceiling joist you just keep it far enough away from the wall that you can't scuff it (or just deal with the occasional scuffs with a quick wipedown)

Have you looked into one of those prefabricated rubbermaid-type sheds for your backyard? They are easy to setup, fairly cheap, and look decent