Author Topic: Out of state job interview  (Read 2531 times)

Jack

• Magnum Stache
Out of state job interview
« on: May 12, 2015, 05:44:38 AM »
I've been invited to Maryland to interview for a job (the job is here in GA, but they're expanding and haven't opened the office yet, so I have to interview up there). The HR person suggests that they'd have me flyup in the morning, do the interview, and then fly back home that evening.

Having never had to fly anywhere for an interview before, I have a couple of questions:

1. What should I tell my current employer when asking for the day off? I have unified PTO (no separate sick and vacation time) and I've never had trouble getting it approved when I need it, but nevertheless a week is a little bit short notice for "vacationish" PTO but I wouldn't want to wait until the day of and then claim to be sick either. I also don't want to straight up tell them I'm thinking of leaving, but don't like lying to them.

2. Instead of flying home the same day, should I ask to (for example) do the interview on a Friday and then not fly home until Sunday? The interview is in Columbia, MD, so I could take the weekend to visit either that city or Baltimore or DC. The question is, would it be appropriate to make such a request? And would the "mini-vacation" itself be worth the cost (hotel for several nights, rental car, food), given that my wife almost certainly wouldn't be able to come?

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
Re: Out of state job interview
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 05:55:04 AM »
It's business.  get in, get it done, get out. Do it on their timeline, unless you have an appropriate (business) reason to reschedule.
For your current employer, they shouldn't be in the habit of asking why you want to use what you've earned. Just tell them you need a day off for some personal business if anyone asks.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 06:31:31 AM »
I would tell current employer you need a personal day- and I would do it -right now- the closer you get to the day, the more likely you will be turned down.

Even for unseperated PTO, if there is a policy to have to give notice except when actually sick, you could lose your current job if word gets out you faked sick time.

Unless the HR rep gives you the option of extending through the weekend, I don't think I would ask. If you've done a few phone interviews you could perhaps offer "if the flights are less expensive, I'd be happy to fly home on Sunday so I can explore the area where you are located".  That sounds a bit better than making it seem like you want a free vacation.

RexualChocolate

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 07:02:44 AM »
For the PTO, I'd just use a sick day the day of. Less suspicion that you're interviewing. Otherwise its pretty obvious in my line of work, but that's a personal call.

For staying the weekend, depends on how they do the travel arrangements. Most large companies use American Express or something like it, where you talk to a 3rd party. If this is the case, you can tell them what you need and then ask if you can just fly out Sunday. If its the same cost(or close), no one cares. You'd just check out of the hotel they're paying for and find your own arrangements.

Keep receipts for cabs and meals so you can expense later (or emails if the cabs use Square)