Author Topic: Orthotics on the Cheap  (Read 5116 times)

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
Orthotics on the Cheap
« on: December 20, 2014, 11:10:28 AM »
Hi everyone,
I am interested in obtaining a pair of full length prescription orthotics suitable for athletic use. My podiatrist will be to happy fit me for them and order a pair from his lab. However, that will cost me about $350 out of pocket. My health insurer will only cover the cost of the office visit – not the orthotic itself. I live outside of Boston, MA. Is there a lab or other resource out there that could make me a good orthotic for less money out of pocket?  Can anyone offer recommendations?
Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 11:12:09 AM by BrooklineBiker »

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
Re: Orthotics on the Cheap
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 11:48:40 AM »
I sucked it up and had custom ones made by a podiatrist a few years ago but paid more than double what you were quoted from what I remember. Now they are old and worn and I might suck it up and do it again. I have heard that if you go to a running/athletic store they can give you semi-custom like ones that cost about $100.  I may try that this time.

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 12:04:47 PM »
I sucked it up and had custom ones made by a podiatrist a few years ago but paid more than double what you were quoted from what I remember. Now they are old and worn and I might suck it up and do it again. I have heard that if you go to a running/athletic store they can give you semi-custom like ones that cost about $100.  I may try that this time.
$600!?!? Yikes! Thanks for the tip on contacting a running store. That is an interesting approach.

MikeBear

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 10:09:11 PM »
Buy some of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181250697801?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=480288696872&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Best over the counter orthotics I've ever bought, and my feet are messed up. I bought mine at a shoe store, and paid more. When it's time for new ones, I'll buy them on here cheaper.

red7

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 10:52:03 PM »
I purchased the custom orthotics from a running store (Road Runner Sports) for about $80 + tax, and I love them! If I were you, I'd definitely give them a shot before shelling out that much money for the ones from the podiatrist.

The process was very interesting...and they literally form the insoles to your feet at the end. I was impressed with the difference I could feel from my regular shoes. I'll never NOT use these "custom" orthotics in my running shoes again. As a matter of fact, I have seriously considered purchasing enough of them to put a pair in all of my shoes!

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 05:22:49 AM »
Buy some of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181250697801?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=480288696872&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Best over the counter orthotics I've ever bought, and my feet are messed up. I bought mine at a shoe store, and paid more. When it's time for new ones, I'll buy them on here cheaper.
Thanks MikeBear. This may be what I need. My feet are really flat. I will check these out!

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 05:24:30 AM »
I purchased the custom orthotics from a running store (Road Runner Sports) for about $80 + tax, and I love them! If I were you, I'd definitely give them a shot before shelling out that much money for the ones from the podiatrist.

The process was very interesting...and they literally form the insoles to your feet at the end. I was impressed with the difference I could feel from my regular shoes. I'll never NOT use these "custom" orthotics in my running shoes again. As a matter of fact, I have seriously considered purchasing enough of them to put a pair in all of my shoes!
Thank you Red7. This is another great option for me and my flat feet. I will look into Road Runner soon!

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 06:25:28 AM »
I suggest you investigate other methods as well.  Some would argue that flat feet is condition that is learned and can be fixed with therapy.  I used to wear orthotics for my job where I was on my feet all day.  After learning to walk properly and doing PT on my feet I no longer have flat feet.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/11/episode-343-stop-walking-like-the-duck-you-arent/

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 07:10:39 PM »
I suggest you investigate other methods as well.  Some would argue that flat feet is condition that is learned and can be fixed with therapy.  I used to wear orthotics for my job where I was on my feet all day.  After learning to walk properly and doing PT on my feet I no longer have flat feet.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/11/episode-343-stop-walking-like-the-duck-you-arent/
Hi Cromacster,
Thanks for the recommendation. I will investigate this approach. That said, my feet are really caved in so I  will need orthotics for a while to come.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 09:30:24 AM »

Hi Cromacster,
Thanks for the recommendation. I will investigate this approach. That said, my feet are really caved in so I  will need orthotics for a while to come.

I continued to wear them for about a year.  Mostly during times when I knew I would be on my feet alot, like work.  But I was consistent with rehabbing my feet and went sans shoes whenever appropriate.  It takes time but it helps alleviate lots of issues. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!