Author Topic: Organic Produce Delivery Membership  (Read 2985 times)

bluejay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Organic Produce Delivery Membership
« on: October 07, 2015, 07:59:50 AM »
My husband and I recently sign up for a weekly organic (as locally sourced as possible) produce delivery (delivery "included") that drops off a box of enough produce for 2 people for $37 weekly. Includes the following:
Potatoes (5)
Yams (4)
Carrots (alb bag)
Beets (2)
Squash
Oranges (3)
Apples (3)
Pears (3)
Romaine (3 heads)
Green Onions (2 bundles)
Mushrooms (1 pint)

Ironically, I've found that I spend less because I use only what is in the box for the week, and then supplement with about $20 of meat/misc weekly (from a $200 bi monthly Costco run for meat, oils, frozens), and a run to the grocery store for extras for $15. This brings our total to about $90* weekly for two people in Southern Ontario, including eating out once a week for $10 (maybe), making all lunches and all other meals at home.

Is a monthly grocery membership prudent? Scoldings? Thoughts? I am already frustrated that I can't seem nail down our food budget to a science...

Thanks guys!

*edited
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 08:09:42 AM by Oliviaj »

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
Re: Organic Produce Delivery Membership
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 08:04:42 AM »
You're talking $90 a week, that's $360 a month for two people. A little high IMO but not terrible, a factor that I'm not considering is location and relative prices from US to CA.

bluejay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 08:11:50 AM »
I'm also originally from CT, where cost of living is high as well...so the fact that you say we're on the higher end does take into consideration location all things considered. So, thanks for the advice!

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 08:19:28 AM »
Yeah I live with my GF and we spend $100 less a month, our actual is $246/month this includes splurges and the occasional take parents out for dinner thing. This is not an area I enjoy restricting heavily as I love me some food. But then again I don't place a high value on organic which will get me the same nutritional benefit for less money. I also am a huge fan of buying plenty of frozen veggies as they have been shown to have the same nutritional value and are picked at ripeness rather than prior to ripeness like "fresh" veggies at the supermarket.

bluejay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 08:40:31 AM »
Wow! How? Of course that's the million dollar question. I shop at our bargain stores, bulk at Costco and try to eat at healthfully as possible and within reason. Would love to know a couple more tips! Thanks for the advice!

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 08:48:12 AM »
9 pieces of fruit for 2 people for a week?  I would think there should be at least 14...?

If every aspect of your health (except for eating organic) is perfected, then I think organic is ok.  If there's other element(s) missing (smoke, drink excessively, sleep deprived, etc.), then I think it's best to concentrate on those element(s) first, ahead of going organic.  Personally, I buy produce from an independent grocer (much cheaper than supermarket prices).

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 09:14:25 AM »
Wow! How? Of course that's the million dollar question. I shop at our bargain stores, bulk at Costco and try to eat at healthfully as possible and within reason. Would love to know a couple more tips! Thanks for the advice!

Well step one would be to determine if you are wasting food. Do you throw out any food? If so then you're just buying too much food.

If you aren't wasting food then are you just buying expensive food?

How much from scratch cooking are you doing (I do mean from scratch, sauces, rubs, etc. all hand made)?

And like I said before I don't cater too much to the idea that organic = better. That can lower my bill by a significant amount from what I see in the stores.

Cornelia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 10:34:42 AM »
Sounds about right as far as cost and amount.

My organic csa was 47$ weekly (I only get a box bi-weekly), and that is their basic box for 4, plus a 10$ fruit addition, plus delivery. I've just recently moved, and am switching to 'organics live' delivery instead. The cost is the same except I get to choose what I want from different categories.. because how much kale will a 2 and 5 year old eat! (not enough 😊!)..

I could buy conventional supermarket veg cheaper.. but the quality at our local stores is terrible, they don't stock lots of local stuff, and to be honest- getting veg and fruit delivered to our door is like christmas :-) 

We use our farmer's market til it closes (this week), our garden, loss leaders at the grocery store, and the green box fills in the rest.

Now, if only I could get milk delivered to the door again, it would be awesome!

Oh, and for reference, family of four in s. Ontario, approx 500-600$/ month food (including toiletries etc) budget.