Author Topic: optimal solution to reduce wardrobe?  (Read 3172 times)

wayfinder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
optimal solution to reduce wardrobe?
« on: February 13, 2017, 09:23:35 PM »
I'm trying to down size redundant possessions.  What are some good ways to part from extra clothes?

Ideas:
* invite friends and family to "shop" my closet
* tax write-off-able charity donations
* sell to 2nd hand clothes store
* yard sale
* easy donations (dump at collection box)

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
Re: optimal solution to reduce wardrobe?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 11:34:46 PM »
When I was downsizing to a capsule wardrobe, everything went straight into the donation bin down the street. Anything else was too much work. I would only try to sell stuff if it was somewhat valuable.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 02:50:09 AM »
Have you gone through your clothes and figured out what needs to go?  Every year we go through the closet and force ourselves to give up a couple items that no matter how nice they look in the closet, we knew deep down it was rarely worn and taking up space.  The fact that we move every 2-4 years helps this scenario. Letting your friends take a stab at your wardrobe or just giving a pile to the thrift store are the easiest ways.

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 05:25:19 AM »
For my family it was never a question of how to get rid of clothes but what clothes to get rid of. We would always fall into the trap of "Oh I still wear that" and we were completely lying to ourselves.

The best thing is to do the "other closet trick".

Take your entire wardrobe, put it in another room. As you wear things and or wash them put them back in your primary closet. After a year everything in the second closet has to go. No more lying to yourself about things that you obviously have not worn in a year!

It is a PITA for a week or two but it does not take long, you also have complete control over the process. Oh so you want to keep something? Well you gotta wear it buddy! I guess it kind of depends on your scale of clothing, in my family we are pretty good about clothes and only have one small closet each. If you have an entire walk in closet plus the guest bedroom, maybe find a therapist? :)

ShortInSeattle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 05:53:21 AM »
For my family it was never a question of how to get rid of clothes but what clothes to get rid of. We would always fall into the trap of "Oh I still wear that" and we were completely lying to ourselves.

The best thing is to do the "other closet trick".

Take your entire wardrobe, put it in another room. As you wear things and or wash them put them back in your primary closet. After a year everything in the second closet has to go. No more lying to yourself about things that you obviously have not worn in a year!

It is a PITA for a week or two but it does not take long, you also have complete control over the process. Oh so you want to keep something? Well you gotta wear it buddy! I guess it kind of depends on your scale of clothing, in my family we are pretty good about clothes and only have one small closet each. If you have an entire walk in closet plus the guest bedroom, maybe find a therapist? :)

Good strategy! If you don't have a second closet/room to use, you can also do this by turning all your hangers backwards and only flipping them right-ways when you actually wear an item. After a month or three, donate the items on unturned hangers.

SIS

Kaybee

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 08:56:25 AM »
I'm trying to down size redundant possessions.  What are some good ways to part from extra clothes?

Ideas:
* invite friends and family to "shop" my closet
* tax write-off-able charity donations
* sell to 2nd hand clothes store
* yard sale
* easy donations (dump at collection box)

I feel that you already know the *ways* to part from extra clothes and you actually need help deciding how to sift through everything.

The "other closet" or "backwards hanger" tricks work well but if you have a LOT of clothes, you can probably cut out a lot of stuff by going through your closet and just being *brutally* honest with yourself when asking "Do I wear this?"  Watch out for "aspirational" clothing (I'll wear this once I lose weight/This would be great if I ever go to a really fancy restaurant/I can use this when I finally climb Mt. Everest...).  Another thing to keep an eye out for are pieces that are dramatically different from what you usually wear (ie, I *love* the look of those floaty tops that seem to pop up every summer but when I wear them, it looks like I'm wearing a sack...it took awhile before I realized I just needed to stick to buying more fitted pieces since those cute blouses just lived in my closet).  Also, consider the condition of your clothes.  If you're holding onto a shirt because you just need to sew 3 buttons back on...you need to either sew those buttons back on right away, take them somewhere to pay someone else to do it or just let the shirt go.  Nothing needs to sit in your closet for months waiting for a repair, if it can go that long...you don't love it that much!!

If you're still struggling, have an honest friend/family member help you...maybe there are things you hold on to that they can point out you never wear/don't suit you.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 08:57:30 AM »
I agree to just give it to Goodwill!

But I've done clothing swaps with friends. We all bring a pile to someone's house, spread it all out and "shop". Most still goes to Goodwill- after everyone has cleaned their closet they don't want to put more back in.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 10:57:53 AM »
Consignment shops are a decent option to make some money back, but some of them are very particular, I understand, in what they will take.  So check your local ones - they probably have a list of criteria (brand names, age of item, etc)  I've never felt that the stuff I had would fit the bill, though I have purchased things at one in the past.

Maybe someone who has used consignment can chip in?

Also, some consignment shops will take what they aren't going to take, and donate it for you.  Or you could go from the consignment shop with whatever was rejected, and take it straight to the donation bin.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 11:18:06 AM »
I read your post as saying you've sorted out the clothes you're ready to get rid of, but aren't sure how to dispose of them.  If that's the case, I would donate them all to a thrift store.  Only really nice clothes (recent designer items in excellent condition) will get you more than a buck or two in resale.  And think of thrill you'll be giving to future thrift shoppers when they find your clothes at thrift store prices!