Author Topic: Opinion on accounting/finance work  (Read 1539 times)

Accountant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Opinion on accounting/finance work
« on: August 14, 2019, 06:25:50 PM »
Does anyone have experience doing contract work vs permanent?  I am totally burned out with corporate america bs.  I have been contacted about several contract opportunities.  For me it seems appealing to have a finite length of time to have to do one thing and would be good skill wise.  The downside of course is less security.  If anyone has experience how has you experience been going from one contract to the next?

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Re: Opinion on accounting/finance work
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 05:42:41 AM »
Accountant here.

I hung around long enough in my job that I'm the one who creates the BS now  ;)

Much more fun getting others to do the grunt work.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 06:15:39 AM »
I bypassed corporate America and went to work for the government. There is still grind, but not nearly as much pressure. The benefits and security are amazing.

I wouldn't do well with contract work, as the lack of security would cause me a lot of stress.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 07:54:48 AM »
Middle ground: get a job with an accounting firm in their contracting area.

Swish

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 08:08:15 AM »
Don't be afraid to ask for the higher ends of the payscale on contract work. Right out of university I couldn't find a job that paid what I wanted so I bid into a contract role at a wage higher than a lot of existing staff. Then after six months they hired me on full time with another $10k bump in pay. The other part is you get opportunities to work on projects or tasks that otherwise might be reserved for more senior staff. This is what helped my boss make a case to hire me on as I had learned a fairly high level task with only entry level experience in a very short period of time.

When I applied I was not worried about finding the next job at the end of the term as there is always a lot of contract roles that struggle to be filled in our market.

maginvizIZ

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 01:15:13 PM »
This is an interesting idea.  I'm getting burned out as well with corporate america... Although I just got a new job with good pay so I'll probably rock this role for 2-3 years.

But after I'm completely fed up... Instead of retiring I could see myself doing contract work.... Rock a 6-12 month contract then take 3-6 months off? Not a bad idea.  Sure, it'll delay my official FI date... But I believe the happiness I'd receive now is worth the 1-3 year delay in FI.

Would love to hear from an accounting/finance contractor how they've enjoyed it.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!