Author Topic: Ontario Phone/Internet/GPS  (Read 10515 times)

dagagad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Ontario Phone/Internet/GPS
« on: April 16, 2016, 08:31:35 AM »
I labelled this as Ontario, as I'm aware there is a variation across provinces.

Phone

I currently have a Fido plan that comes to about $55 a month. I have a prepaid iphone 5.

- I'm probably going to go to a $15 talk and text plan from Rogers. Are there any cheaper options out there?

Internet
Our landlord let us use his wifi for free but it was just a perk, not part of our rental agreement. He basically was never around. When he is around, our internet is pretty slow. He sold the place and we expect the new landlord to be here more often. So we need our own internet.

Tekksavvy and Start.ca have been recommended to me. Any other options? I use internet quite a lot for work (uploading/downloading files). We use it stream netflix and mlb.tv. I'm struggling to pick what plan would suit us on tekksavvy.

GPS
I generally use my phone as a GPS and I need a GPS. I feel safer when I concentrate 90% on driving defensively and 10% on where I'm going. Now, I will be without data so I need other options.

Any good apps with preloaded Canadian maps that can be used offline?

I'd also be interested in a preused GPS. I like the idea of having something dedicated to this. I don't have to worry about phone dieing or getting a special mount. Any recommendations for an older (or not) model) that pops up on kijiji/craigslist/ebay?

sparkshooter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Ontario Phone/Internet/GPS
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 10:38:22 AM »
If you keep your cellphone around primarily for emergencies (and instead make calls over wifi), you may be interested in SpeakOut Wireless. It runs on the the Rogers network, so very good nation-wide coverage. (We live in the GTA but have tested out in various places, including all over the maritimes).

It's a pay-as-you-go plan, with airtime that lasts for 365 days (and is extended for another 365 days when/if you top-up your account). You are charged ~$1.50/month for 911 service. Both my husband and I have used SpeakOut for about 3 years now, and since we almost never use our smartphones for calls, it basically boils down to $25/year each so that we keep the numbers active. Link-y here: http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/

We use teksavvy for internet and it works. We didn't have very good/competent service though, and I don't think the price is all that great. I give it a lukewarm recommendation.

As far as offline GPS, both my husband and I use our phones. Google Maps/navigation now has offline capability, and we find it works very very well. (info here: http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/10/9700440/google-maps-offline-navigation-search-available)  Before that was an option, we used Maps.me (which I downloaded for free during a promotion) and it also worked quite well. Link: http://maps.me/en/home

I have no affiliation with these various companies.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 12:40:32 PM »
Phone: Either Speakout/7-11 if you are truly minimal, if you are in the right area, Wind Mobile. Other than that, I like Koodo. I would not choose to do business with Rogers :P

Internet: There are a LOT of resellers for DSL. You will not be able to get > 1Mbps UPLOAD unless you go 25 DOWN I believe. We use Velcom as they are really bargain basement. There are plenty of others. You want, assuming you do NOT have a land line, to find a provider that does not charge extra for dryloop! That can add ~$9 a month!

You can certainly get offline maps on the Google Play store. An alternative would be a cheap Nokia Windows phone - they have decent stuff built in. If you are near the border, there are regularly deals on Amazon for AT&T phones which you can get unlocked for free (or of course don't bother if you are JUST going to use as a GPS).

dagagad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 09:59:38 PM »
If you keep your cellphone around primarily for emergencies (and instead make calls over wifi), you may be interested in SpeakOut Wireless. It runs on the the Rogers network, so very good nation-wide coverage. (We live in the GTA but have tested out in various places, including all over the maritimes).

It's a pay-as-you-go plan, with airtime that lasts for 365 days (and is extended for another 365 days when/if you top-up your account). You are charged ~$1.50/month for 911 service. Both my husband and I have used SpeakOut for about 3 years now, and since we almost never use our smartphones for calls, it basically boils down to $25/year each so that we keep the numbers active. Link-y here: http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/

We use teksavvy for internet and it works. We didn't have very good/competent service though, and I don't think the price is all that great. I give it a lukewarm recommendation.

As far as offline GPS, both my husband and I use our phones. Google Maps/navigation now has offline capability, and we find it works very very well. (info here: http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/10/9700440/google-maps-offline-navigation-search-available)  Before that was an option, we used Maps.me (which I downloaded for free during a promotion) and it also worked quite well. Link: http://maps.me/en/home

I have no affiliation with these various companies.

Speakout sounds like it could be a winner - especially as it seems like I can try it out for free. It looks like they will mail you the sim for free and then its just the $1.50 a month for emergency and pay as you go. The only problem is messaging - it is $10 per month it seems. I use whatsapp or facebook messenger for 95% of contacts but I need to text some people. Is there any way around this with speakout?

I never realised that google maps could be used offline. I downloaded some local maps tonight and I'm going to play around with this. I'm still going to be on the lookout for a good deal on a gps used but I'll use this in the meantime.

edit: I just realised yesterday (the first real hot day of the year) a reason I wanted a dedicated gps. Even in the dash mount, my iphone got too hot last summer and would sometimes turn off. I'd like to avoid that.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 04:40:36 AM by dagagad »

dagagad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 10:02:46 PM »
Phone: Either Speakout/7-11 if you are truly minimal, if you are in the right area, Wind Mobile. Other than that, I like Koodo. I would not choose to do business with Rogers :P

Internet: There are a LOT of resellers for DSL. You will not be able to get > 1Mbps UPLOAD unless you go 25 DOWN I believe. We use Velcom as they are really bargain basement. There are plenty of others. You want, assuming you do NOT have a land line, to find a provider that does not charge extra for dryloop! That can add ~$9 a month!

You can certainly get offline maps on the Google Play store. An alternative would be a cheap Nokia Windows phone - they have decent stuff built in. If you are near the border, there are regularly deals on Amazon for AT&T phones which you can get unlocked for free (or of course don't bother if you are JUST going to use as a GPS).

I dislike Rogers as  much as the next man (quit cheaping out on the jays salary already) but their plan seems to beat any of Wind or Koodo. If you want data though, the $40 wind plan seems awesome.

I'll have a look at Velcom. I have some reading to do on dry loops and some other hidden expenses.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 04:43:30 AM »
I've been happy with speakout, but I really don't use my phone much, so YMMV. And you can get a basic plan that charges per text (20 cents each, I think). So if you send fewer than 50 texts a month, you're gold!

McBuck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 09:29:38 AM »
I've had internet with Teksavvy (cable), Start (cable), and now Carrytel (DSL). Teksavvy was fine a few years ago but they've started advertising a lot and their prices are no longer competitive. Support was fine though.

Start was great! Best customer service I've had and they had the best price for what I needed at the time.

Now I'm with Carrytel 25/10 for $35/mo unlimited & no dryloop fee. However, I had an issue with my modem and the only support they gave was to email me the pdf instructions for the modem. So if you're tech savvy enough to handle most issues yourself, the price can't be beat!

Depending on how much you use GPS, you could get a tablet data plan from Fido $15/1gb,$25/3gb,$35/5gb and then use fongo for unlimited calling (unlimited texting is $3/mo I believe).

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 11:22:00 AM »
Depending on how much you use GPS, you could get a tablet data plan from Fido $15/1gb,$25/3gb,$35/5gb and then use fongo for unlimited calling (unlimited texting is $3/mo I believe).

You can get better than that - Virgin is $5 for 10Mb I believe, then $15 for 1Gb.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 11:35:19 AM »
For a GPS a new Garmin unit is like $100 do used should be half that or so.  Most Garmin come with free lifetime map updates. 

That is the option that I would take for the GPS.

dagagad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 12:32:55 PM »
I think for now, I'm just going to do Rogers $15 dollars a month talk and text pay as you go. I would go with speakout but their rolling 365 day does not include text. I'd need to do a $20 a month plan.

For gps, I really like this model:

https://www.amazon.ca/Garmin-2539LMT-Advanced-Navigation-Lifetime/dp/B00N41UTWG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461004219&sr=8-1&keywords=garmin+2539

I'm going to wait until I find something like that used/on sale.

dagagad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 12:55:04 PM »
I've had internet with Teksavvy (cable), Start (cable), and now Carrytel (DSL). Teksavvy was fine a few years ago but they've started advertising a lot and their prices are no longer competitive. Support was fine though.

Start was great! Best customer service I've had and they had the best price for what I needed at the time.

Now I'm with Carrytel 25/10 for $35/mo unlimited & no dryloop fee. However, I had an issue with my modem and the only support they gave was to email me the pdf instructions for the modem. So if you're tech savvy enough to handle most issues yourself, the price can't be beat!

Carrytel have good prices but they don't seem like a very professional organization from the website. Can you tell me how long you've been with them?

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 12:58:43 PM »
I think for now, I'm just going to do Rogers $15 dollars a month talk and text pay as you go. I would go with speakout but their rolling 365 day does not include text. I'd need to do a $20 a month plan.

https://www.amazon.ca/Garmin-2539LMT-Advanced-Navigation-Lifetime/dp/B00N41UTWG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461004219&sr=8-1&keywords=garmin+2539

Speakout is 15c/text, 25c/min local, 45c/min long distance. Not sure what you mean. How many minutes are you going to use, how many texts?

McBuck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 01:17:02 PM »
Carrytel have good prices but they don't seem like a very professional organization from the website. Can you tell me how long you've been with them?
Been with them since the start of the year. Check out
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/carry-telecom-internet-unlimited-15m-1m-29-99-25m-10m-34-99-qc-only-1928959/
for a lot more discussion.

dagagad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 02:18:23 PM »

Speakout is 15c/text, 25c/min local, 45c/min long distance. Not sure what you mean. How many minutes are you going to use, how many texts?

Ah, I realise I was reading it wrong. I thought the text add on was 30 days. Sweet! I'll go with speakout.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!